Bad box of Federal 9mm Aluminum Case?

I bought some of this the other day and figured I'd give it a try. After finishing up with my 10/22 yesterday I was too lazy to walk the 100 yards and move my target so I loaded a few mags for my P226 with this federal ammo.

When I finished my second magazine a guy that was watching me came over and asked if I was shooting reloads. I told him no, just this cheap stuff and showed him what I had. When I asked him why he walked me down range and pointed out where all my shots went. The worst was about thirty yards in front of me in the ground and they walked in from there with a few all around the target. There was also on about fifty yards and and into the berm 10' to my right. So out of 30 shots fired i managed only one hit at 100 yrds on an IDPA size target.

He said he watched everything I did and was pretty sure its wasn't me. So I then loaded up some WWB and fired 30 rounds again at 100 yrds and all 30 were on target.

From what I've googled people say aluminum cased works fine. I can't find anything about Sigs not liking it either, so did I just get a bad box? Anyone else have an experience like this with aluminum cased ammo?

I'm going to be as nice as possibly about this, but you never noticed that your rounds were impacting everywhere except your target? I get that you were shooting at 100 rounds, but it seems that you'd have noticed all the impacts between you and the target.

How often do you shoot at that distance with a handgun? It's a little different than firing at 25 yards or under. I'd take a look at the sights to make sure that the pistol is still sighted in at a closer distance...maybe they got banged? Other than that, I'd work on shooting the handgun at closer ranges before blazing away at 100 yards. I don't see ammo, even cheap stuff, causing that big of an issue.

I'm going to be as nice as possibly about this, but you never noticed that your rounds were impacting everywhere except your target? I get that you were shooting at 100 rounds, but it seems that you'd have noticed all the impacts between you and the target.

How often do you shoot at that distance with a handgun? It's a little different than firing at 25 yards or under. I'd take a look at the sights to make sure that the pistol is still sighted in at a closer distance...maybe they got banged? Other than that, I'd work on shooting the handgun at closer ranges before blazing away at 100 yards. I don't see ammo, even cheap stuff, causing that big of an issue.

The snow was soft so there were no tell tale puffs or anything from the stray shots. Honestly I can't see hits at 100 yards on plain cardboard with my naked eye.

I only shoot that far with a handgun once in a while just for fun. Thats besides the point though because all 30 of my next shots with different ammo were on target.

The snow was soft so there were no tell tale puffs or anything from the stray shots. Honestly I can't see hits at 100 yards on plain cardboard with my naked eye.

I only shoot that far with a handgun once in a while just for fun. Thats besides the point though because all 30 of my next shots with different ammo were on target.
I still can't see the ammo causing what you were talking about. Maybe the low rounds, if there was *way* less powder in them, but impacting 10' off to one side? Nothing in the ammo is going to make that happen.

Did the individual rounds feel drastically different when you fired them?

I can see that I don't shoot match grade or anything but at even 7 yards with that stuff I get a weird little grouping.especially out of my 226 which is hands down my most accurate 9.

I still can't see the ammo causing what you were talking about. Maybe the low rounds, if there was *way* less powder in them, but impacting 10' off to one side? Nothing in the ammo is going to make that happen.

Did the individual rounds feel drastically different when you fired them?

I didn't notice anything between the individual rounds but there was definitely a difference between the Federal and WWB. Louder and stronger recoil, what I would call normal with the WWB. Only other thing I noticed was the ejected brass was grouped farther away than the aluminum.

I'm not convinced the flyer way out to my right was mine. The guy that was watching me could not have possibly seen it from the angle he was standing at and I'm fairly confident that I accounted for all my rounds because I went back and tried to find them all.

I can't really explain it, I know I'm not that bad of a shot and when I switched ammo I was all on target. I mean I didn't have one nice ragged hole but over half were into a sheet of paper I taped to the target. At 100 yards that is fine with me.

Last edited:
If the aluminum rounds were operating the gun they couldn't have been that bad? What your describing sounds like flinching to me?

Back
Top Bottom