BAD, BAD Gun Owner!!!!

And the apartment could not possibly ever have have current residents become handicapped; have future handicapped residents; or ever have handicapped guests of residents, right?

Go, cretin!

It was permit parking only, and each resident got one permit. Handicapped guests of residents would not have been allowed to park there unless the resident in question gave them his/her sticker for the year.

If, at some point in the future, there were handicapped residents, it would not be hard to paint the sign on the space. During the year I was there, no cars ever parked on those spaces legally. If, next year, they got three handicapped residents, they would still have only had 2 handicapped spaces. Why? Because legislating compassion is stupid and inefficient.

This guy was middle-aged, white, and fat. His truck had a black tonneau cover on his grey GMC Sierra, an NRA sticker on the back window, two Patriots decals on the back gate of the truck, and a small sticker that said, "Terrorist Hunter" or something like that on the left side of the rear bumper.

[angry2]
fits the profile of more than 70% NES members .....hell,it could be me[smile]

I can't believe so many people are complaining about the number of handicap spaces... lets look at some logic here.

I dont know what the exact ratio should be but look at an average walmart, lowes, home depot... if they have 8-10 handicap spots... and they are all empty...

and all the other spots are filled so that you have to walk 100+ meters to/from your car...

If there were only 2 handicap spaces how far would you have to walk???

Answer: 100+ meters... BECAUSE if there are ALREADY that many cars in the parking lot, odds are you weren't going to be one of those to get the "unhandicapped spots" and you are going to be parking just as far away.

It's kind of a menial, selfish thing in life to be concerned about.

Last edited:
I can't believe so many people are complaining about the number of handicap spaces... lets look at some logic here.

The thing is, it's a brown number. Someone pulled it out of their nether regions. But all businesses everywhere have to use it, because the person who made it up works in government. That's the part that really pisses me off. If it was the owner of the parking lot's choice how many handicapped spaces to have, it wouldn't bother me. I just think that an apartment complex should be able to set the number of handicapped spaces it provides based on the number of handicapped tenants, rather than being compelled to use a percentage some government flack came up with.

I dont know what the exact ratio should be but look at an average walmart, lowes, home depot... if they have 8-10 handicap spots... and they are all empty...

and all the other spots are filled so that you have to walk 100+ meters to/from your car...

If there were only 2 handicap spaces how far would you have to walk???

Answer: 100+ meters... BECAUSE if there are ALREADY that many cars in the parking lot, odds are you weren't going to be one of those to get the "unhandicapped spots" and you are going to be parking just as far away.

It's kind of a menial, selfish thing in life to be concerned about.

+1

Exercise is good for you! [smile]

Seriously these are called "big box stores" for a reason. You'll walk a mile INSIDE the store, so what's the big deal about walking that 100 yds/m from the car to the door.

Personally I hate "door dingers" and although I don't drive a "new car" I PURPOSELY park almost at the end of the parking lot . . . knowing most are lazy and thus there is less chance of finding new scratches/dents when I get back to my car.

Placard holders in MA seem to be allowed to "mask" the vital info on the placards. You can see that they have a placard hanging from the rear view, yet the photo is covered by a piece of paper held on with a paper clip. I see it 90% of the time whenever a vehicle is parked in a HP zone.

Last edited:
Placard holders in MA seem to be allowed to "mask" the vital info on the placards. You can see that they have a placard hanging from the rear view, yet the photo is covered by a piece of paper held on with a paper clip. I see it 90% of the time whenever a vehicle is parked in a HP zone.

The little picture of a wheelchair is the part that matters to the public.

How about this, we allow LTC holders to OC, but you have to wear your LTC on a lanyard around your neck, with your photo, name and address on display so that not only can we know you have a license, but you didn't steal it from someone else. Are you OK with that? Because I'm not.

It is none of your business WHO the handicapped person is, only that they have a right to park there. The placard system was a bad idea, poorly managed and might even do more harm than good, but it is the system. The placard gives them the right to park there, not you the right to visit their home for tea and crumpets.

It isn't about how far I have to park away from the building. I don't care about walking a long distance to get into the store. As a matter of fact I'm one of those guys that usually parks his car further away from the cars near the front. Easier to get in and out of the malls and people are less likely to hit your car with doors, shopping carts, etc.

It's just the principle of the thing that bothers me- if code/laws are dictating that property owners literally have to waste property in order to accomodate HP parkers that simply don't exist. On the other hand, if it's corporate policy at play, doesn't bother me so much- businesses should be allowed to
best determine the needs of their customers who may be disabled...

-Mike

This is for the safety of the holder. If you can see the picture, you'd know who the person is with a disability and can target and victimize them if you happen to be that type of person. When asked by a leo, you're required to show the identifying data on the placard. (Plus they use your license photo and mine isn't very flattering)

It was permit parking only, and each resident got one permit. Handicapped guests of residents would not have been allowed to park there unless the resident in question gave them his/her sticker for the year.

At which point, they would STILL need an HP spot for proximity to the ramp and door.

If, at some point in the future, there were handicapped residents, it would not be hard to paint the sign on the space. During the year I was there, no cars ever parked on those spaces legally. If, next year, they got three handicapped residents, they would still have only had 2 handicapped spaces. Why? Because legislating compassion is stupid and inefficient.

And relying on it from others is even worse....

It's just the principle of the thing that bothers me- if code/laws are dictating that property owners literally have to waste property in order to accomodate HP parkers that simply don't exist. On the other hand, if it's corporate policy at play, doesn't bother me so much- businesses should be allowed to best determine the needs of their customers who may be disabled...

-Mike

This is the core of my objection as well.

It's just the principle of the thing that bothers me- if code/laws are dictating that property owners literally have to waste property in order to accomodate HP parkers that simply don't exist. On the other hand, if it's corporate policy at play, doesn't bother me so much- businesses should be allowed to
best determine the needs of their customers who may be disabled...

-Mike

The thing is, some of the reason the law/code exists is because unfortunately we need them. I'm sure if it were up to some places they would have very few if at all.

Another good point to mention is what about that 1 in a million time there is a "handicapped americans" or "disabled veterans" convention in town (i dont know if they have these, just using it for a point) and there aren't enough spots... following the law/code prevents businesses and establishments from being sued because they didn't have enough spots... as long as they are to code.

Honestly, I don't think this is a problem, at all. If there had to be one handicapped spot for every regular spot... I could care less. But that fat guy at dunkins still pisses me off haha. [smile]

So you support the government compelling you to use your property for charitable purposes?

You can't be serious...

We're talking about leaving a spot or two for some little old lady to get in and out of her car. We're talking about the disabled veteran who lost a leg and shouldnt have to walk from the back of a walmart parking lot.

Even if those spots never get filled up, at least they are there inorder so that these people could have it a little easier. And I'm ok with that.

I know some people take advantage of that, I mean thats what this thread started about, some one possibly adusing the system. That sucks, and theyll get theres.

For what it's worth, I dont mind... and anyone who really does... needs to check their prioritys.

You can't be serious...

We're talking about leaving a spot or two for some little old lady to get in and out of her car. We're talking about the disabled veteran who lost a leg and shouldnt have to walk from the back of a walmart parking lot.

Even if those spots never get filled up, at least they are there inorder so that these people could have it a little easier. And I'm ok with that.

No. We're talking about a private business being legally compelled to leave a spot for said little old lady. The government is dictating how private property is used. Their motives may be good, and compassionate, but that's what they're doing. Legislating compassion.

You're OK with the government telling Wal-Mart how many parking spaces *must* be reserved for handicapped people.
Would you be OK with the government telling you that your driveway must be reserved for handicapped people?
Would you be OK with the government requiring that Wal-Mart employ someone to assist people in wheelchairs?
And if they can require that of Wal-Mart, why not require it of every single business that opens it's doors to the public?

For what it's worth, I dont mind... and anyone who really does... needs to check their prioritys.

If the store wanted to flag their entire parking lot as handicapped only, I wouldn't care, it's their parking lot and they ought to be able to do whatever the hell they want with it. Why should the government be allowed to tell them what they're going to do with it?

The thing is, some of the reason the law/code exists is because unfortunately we need them. I'm sure if it were up to some places they would have very few if at all.

Is it not their right to do what they want with their property? Why not?

Another good point to mention is what about that 1 in a million time there is a "handicapped americans" or "disabled veterans" convention in town (i dont know if they have these, just using it for a point) and there aren't enough spots... following the law/code prevents businesses and establishments from being sued because they didn't have enough spots... as long as they are to code.

So the law exists to protect businesses from being sued by handicapped people when those handicapped people feel the business did not adequately cater to their handicap. (It must be nice to be able to sue businesses for not catering to you. I have to just take my business elsewhere.)

Honestly, I don't think this is a problem, at all. If there had to be one handicapped spot for every regular spot... I could care less. But that fat guy at dunkins still pisses me off haha. [smile]

I just don't see how .gov telling people that they must meet the needs of people with this disability, or that disability. The fat guy at Dunkin's is still a jerk though. [grin]

A few things about this that get me:

1) With the permit parking at the apt. building; if there are 10 spots for 10 residents, they should be able to each park in a spot. If there are no handicap residents, no handicap spots. Get a handicap resident, give them the best spot.

2) I've seen buildings with handicap spots, and then a flight of stairs, and no ramp or elevator to get to the front door. How much sense does that make?

ETA: Also, only mildly related...here at Mass Maritime, we have handicap accessible showers on every deck, including the one I live on, 3 flights of stairs (no elevator) from the ground floor.

Last edited:
No. We're talking about a private business being legally compelled to leave a spot for said little old lady. The government is dictating how private property is used. Their motives may be good, and compassionate, but that's what they're doing. Legislating compassion.

You're OK with the government telling Wal-Mart how many parking spaces *must* be reserved for handicapped people.
Would you be OK with the government telling you that your driveway must be reserved for handicapped people?
Would you be OK with the government requiring that Wal-Mart employ someone to assist people in wheelchairs?
And if they can require that of Wal-Mart, why not require it of every single business that opens it's doors to the public?

If the store wanted to flag their entire parking lot as handicapped only, I wouldn't care, it's their parking lot and they ought to be able to do whatever the hell they want with it. Why should the government be allowed to tell them what they're going to do with it?

Dude...

It's a handicapped spot.

No one is taking your rights, or telling you to hand over the keys to your ferrari... if regulation of handicapped parking is how the government plans to back door all of us into submission... then by-golly they got us...

until then. Put the bong down.

So the law exists to protect businesses from being sued by handicapped people when those handicapped people feel the business did not adequately cater to their handicap. (It must be nice to be able to sue businesses for not catering to you. I have to just take my business elsewhere.)

Did you get run over by a little old lady with a handicapped plate or something? They are disabled, it's not the end of the world to enforce parking for these people... besides, if you did get runover then now you can park there! [wink]

Is it not their right to do what they want with their property? Why not?

In that case I think its fair to mention to you that the guy you bought your house from didnt care about government regulation either and decided to put the studs 3 feet apart in all of your walls.

I totally agree with you that too much government is a bad thing, but the government needs to exist to some capacity to keep order and facilitate the needs of the few that can not take care of themselves... and no we're not talking about welfare octomom, we're just talking about a few parking spaces.

Did anyone follow up on the fat guy?

Why does someone need a to park near the door in order to go walk around the mall for three hours?

Why does someone need a to park near the door in order to go walk around the mall for three hours?

That's a great question.

But maybe they arent going to walk around, maybe they have a wheelchair, maybe a walker, maybe they are just meeting some one for dinner or lunch, maybe they work there, maybe they will be using a power chair... who knows.

Maybe they have some other disablity that wouldnt been seen as a disablity to us at all?

I dont think its my place to ask, maybe you can next time youre at the mall and a little old lady gets out of her oldsmobile you can ask her if she really needs that spot (and maybe while youre at it, explain why you deserve it more and how the government should mind its own business), and be sure to ask her what she planned on doing in the mall that day.... you have fun with that.

And be sure to kick a puppy on your way out, that'll really seal the deal. [wink]

Anyone who is seriously upset because a few parking spaces have been reserved for the handicapped doesn't have enough going wrong in their life. [rolleyes]

The NRA guy in the OP should have been hamstrung and issued a HP placard on the spot.

Now those Mother with children spots, that's a different story... [wink]

Did you get run over by a little old lady with a handicapped plate or something? They are disabled, it's not the end of the world to enforce parking for these people... besides, if you did get runover then now you can park there! [wink]

It's not the end of the world. It's not even that important. It just pisses me off that people who habitually oppose government intervention in private life are so quick to make exceptions when they think it's for a good cause.

In that case I think its fair to mention to you that the guy you bought your house from didnt care about government regulation either and decided to put the studs 3 feet apart in all of your walls.

And if he discloses it to me, and I disclose it to the ins. company, why should the .gov be involved?

Anyone who is seriously upset because a few parking spaces have been reserved for the handicapped doesn't have enough going wrong in their life.

Meh. I'm annoyed when people claim that noble motives don't justify government funding of some programs, but other kinds of government interference are fine because "it's for the children/disabled vets/little old ladies". I don't care. It's still .gov messing with private property, and it's just a smaller and more petty version of medicare/social security/welfare/etc.

Meh. I'm annoyed when people claim that noble motives don't justify government funding of some programs, but other kinds of government interference are fine because "it's for the children/disabled vets/little old ladies". I don't care. It's still .gov messing with private property, and it's just a smaller and more petty version of medicare/social security/welfare/etc.

In that case I hope you've never accepted unemployment, attended/sent your kids to public schools, driven on a highway, traveled by mass transit or visited a national park.

Because if not for a few government funded programs (ie interferences) none of those would exist... lets not be absolutists here, some government is needed, how much is up for debate but we'll all have our opinions. [smile]

In that case I hope you've never accepted unemployment, attended/sent your kids to public schools, driven on a highway, traveled by mass transit or visited a national park.
That is not a fair thing to ask as the OP did not have the option of not paying unemployment tax, school tax, federal income tax and all the other things that pay for these.

But I do agree some govt is needed. Even in a perfectly libertarian society, a contract doesn't mean anything unless failure to comply is ultimately backed up by force (removing money from your account against your will; making you do something under threat of imprisonment; etc.). In fact, when it comes right down to it, contracts are simply an agreement by which the parties both agree under what conditions they consent to having force used against them to comply with something they have promised to do or deliver.

That is not a fair thing to ask as the OP did not have the option of not paying unemployment tax, school tax, federal income tax and all the other things that pay for these.

But I do agree some govt is needed. Even in a perfectly libertarian society, a contract doesn't mean anything unless failure to comply is ultimately backed up by force (removing money from your account against your will; making you do something under threat of imprisonment; etc.)

Wait, since when do we have to be fair on the interweb? [smile]

I know, that was my point... Thoreau choose not to pay the percentage of taxes to which the government used on things he didnt agree with. Go for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom