BAD, BAD Gun Owner!!!!

Same thing with BJs. Maybe TWO of them are ever in use at once. 6 or 7 or whatever they have is absurd.

I don't have a problem with the HP system, but I think the allocation of spaces is pretty crappy. I've -never- seen a place like that where all the HP spots were used up at once.

-Mike

They are allocated based on the number of spots overall. Massive parking lots with one door like a wall mart cause the situation to look far more lopsided than it really is. Look at malls and shopping centers with lots of entrances and the numbers are the same but appear to be more sane.

They are allocated based on the number of spots overall. Massive parking lots with one door like a wall mart cause the situation to look far more lopsided than it really is. Look at malls and shopping centers with lots of entrances and the numbers are the same but appear to be more sane.

State law (M.G.L. Ch. 40, Sect. 21, Cl. 23) requires the following number of spaces, based upon the total spaces in a given lot available to the public:
• Between 16 and 25 spaces: one handicapped space
• Between 26 and 40 spaces: five percent of such spaces but not less than two
• Between 41 and 100 spaces: four percent of such spaces but not less than three
• Between 101 and 200 spaces: three percent of such spaces but not less than four
• Between 201 and 500 spaces: two percent of such spaces but not less than six
• Between 501 and 1,000 spaces: one and one-half percent of such spaces but not less than 10
• Between 1,001 and 2,000 spaces: one percent of such spaces but not less than 15
• Between 2,001 and 5,000 spaces: three-fourths of one percent of such spaces but not less than 20
• More than 5,000 spaces: one-half of one percent of such spaces but not less than 30

Same thing with BJs. Maybe TWO of them are ever in use at once. 6 or 7 or whatever they have is absurd.

I don't have a problem with the HP system, but I think the allocation of spaces is pretty crappy. I've -never- seen a place like that where all the HP spots were used up at once.

-Mike

I've frequently seen all the HP spaces taken, usually at WallyWorld and BJ's...especially when I'm looking for one. [laugh]

That's for sure.
I see more fakers than real handicapped parkers.
Just because grandma has a placard, that dosen't automatically give the whole family carte blanche to park in HP spaces, but they abuse it all the time.I saw a car with a placard parked in an HP spot, in a metered public lot, for nearly two months. It never moved an inch and it never got ticketed by the metermaids. One day I saw the metermaid pull into the lot and I had a short conversation with her. The plates were expired, so was the inspection sticker and the HP placard itself! Basically the car was abandoned there, hogging the most desireable HP spot, because that was the ONE space in that whole lot that didn't have a parking meter. The car was towed by the city an hour later, never saw it again.

Very true. It also doesn't mean that the person holding the placard can remain in the car while family members go into the store. That means if I'm in a HP space I get to accompany my wife while she shops. Most times I'll just drop her off and go park at the far end of the lot and watch for her to come out of the store. I figure she can grease the wheels of the economy without my help. [grin]

BTW, for any of you in the Dartmouth and Fall River area, be advised that the authority's are enforcing these rules, to the point of checking the picture on the placard to make sure that the person is not just sitting in the car. They are especially aggressive during the Holiday shopping season. And they are issuing citations. I saw two cars being tagged the other day in Dartmouth.

I have a good one for you guys. I was at the home depot in watertown the other day when I saw a lincoln LS parked in all 4 handicapped spots. Thats right, all 4. The person decided to use the striped zone between the spots (the area that is designed so that HC vans can drop their lifts) and had a corner in all 4 spots, which effectively made it impossible for any handicapped person to park there. It took all of my willpower not to drag my key down the side of it. Since I have an aunt in a wheelchair it pisses me off especially.

Now heres one for the police officers we have here, could you write the person 4 citations for each of the spots he was in?

I usually try to park across 3 handicap spots the long way, and skip into whatever store I'm going to. THEN I make moose antlers and stick my tongue out at whoever gives me a dirty look.
[rofl]
Since when is being a good guy and a gentleman a prerequisite to joining the NRA?
If gunshows are any indication, regular bathing isn't a requirement either...
Its not. But its our job to change people's misconceptions. If you put a NRA sticker on your car, you become an ambassador for all gun owners to all non gun owners. Whether you like it or not, you do.
+1, I agree 100%.
Maybe you should carry some spare NAMBLA stickers for such folks.
[rofl]
Same thing with BJs. Maybe TWO of them are ever in use at once. 6 or 7 or whatever they have is absurd. I don't have a problem with the HP system, but I think the allocation of spaces is pretty crappy. I've -never- seen a place like that where all the HP spots were used up at once. -Mike
Have you seen the movie Stealing Harvard? The main character works at a place called Homespital, where they sell wheelchairs, prosthetic limbs, etc., and easily 90% of the parking lot is HC spots. [laugh]
The other day someone tried saying something to me for parking in a spot that had a severely faded HC painting and no sign. You couldn't see the painting unless you were standing outside your vehicle.
Were you at a Dunkin Donuts? [smile]

This frosts my ass too.
I publicly called out some d-bag who parked across 2 spots at DD in Webster sq.
The guy started going ballistic! Screaming ''don't staert with me!'' "you don't know me!''
Some woman grabbed him as I was going for the pepper spray and basicly dragged him away.
To bad.

This frosts my ass too.
I publicly called out some d-bag who parked across 2 spots at DD in Webster sq.
The guy started going ballistic! Screaming ''don't staert with me!'' "you don't know me!''
Some woman grabbed him as I was going for the pepper spray and basicly dragged him away.
To bad.

Do away with all laws against homicide for a mere 5 years, and most of the ills of society would be cured.

I hate tough guys who are a$$holes to other people, and I especially hate them when they have NRA stickers on their vehicles, because they make people think the worst about all of us lawful gun owners.

On Saturday, December 12, 2009, at about 3:30 P.M. I pulled off the Mass Pike in Natick for a coffee break while heading east. I stopped at the Dunkin' Donuts on Rte. 30, right off the exit. I bought my Turbo and got into my vehicle to head east again.

Before I turned the ignition a big, grey, GMC Sierra pulled into the Handicap Space next to me. There was no handicap placard on the rear view mirror, and the driver didn't put one up, either, before he marched his fat a$$ into Dunkin' Donuts.

IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO PARK IN A HANDICAP SPOT AND IT REALLY TICKS ME OFF TO SEE ABLE-BODIED FAT GUYS USING THOSE SPACES ILLEGALLY.

The fine's steep, and I only wish the cops had been around to ticket. This guy was middle-aged, white, and fat. His truck had a black tonneau cover on his grey GMC Sierra, an NRA sticker on the back window, two Patriots decals on the back gate of the truck, and a small sticker that said, "Terrorist Hunter" or something like that on the left side of the rear bumper.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering, his Massachusetts license plate number was: 924 TSX.

So if he's got an NRA sticker, he may post here, and if so, I hope he sees this and knows that he's a FIRST-CLASS SCUMBAG for parking his fat a$$ in a handicap spot when so many other places were available.

[angry2]

This pisses me off too, but if you really had this much of a problem with it... you could have addressed it there. I understand its easier to go home and sit behind a keyboard but you saw the guy, you knew what he looked like, you knew he wasn't going to be in dunkin donuts long, you could have addressed it right then in there... or at the very least... left a note?

(Or given him a new bumper sticker +1 on the NAMBLA)

Dont get me wrong, I think it's a true sign of ones character when people do things like put their own self worth above the disabled, but making a whole lot of chatter on the internet isnt going to change a thing.

Also, I dont even know if i believe this story because you said you didn't see any LEO's around... come on... you were at a Dunkins [smile]

There are nice and not so nice people in every segment of society. There are nice and not so nice people in every social club, gun club, job, I could go on forever. Being nice is not a prerequisite for being a member of the NRA. JMHO, but I don't think that being a member of the NRA makes you an "ambassador" any more than being a member of any other club. True, when people see the sticker, they may think all members are rude, but not any more than any other organization. Oh, by the way, I'm one of those people you can't see the handicap and I have a placard (yup, I can legally put my placard on my marked cruiser if I chose, then what are you gonna do?) Just because you can't see my illness/disability, doesn't make it anyless so. I've gotten the required letters from my doctor and applied to the RMV. They approved it and I have a placard (the requirements are the same for placard and plates, I chose the placard because I drive several vehicles and this way it's portable). If you see me and confront me about my placard or my handicap, please be prepared to bear the brunt of my wrath.....It's none of your business what my disability is.

Last edited:
Ever notice how Walmarts have like 5000 HP parking spots?
The number of spaces may be set by law. Obviously, big stores like Walmart or BJs are going to be difficult for handicapped people, so the legal requirement may be excessive. Government regulation is a clumsy tool for guiding human behavior.

Having a background in special education and abnormal psychology, I recognize the disability being discussed. It's called cranial-rectal inversion - it's true, look it up.

I was given a placard three years ago and told the Doctor to forget it, I won't use it. He went on to say that yes you need this and yes you need to use it.

My father in law had a HP plate and he told me that they don't give those out anymore and they wanted to exchange his plate for a placard. He had Polio at 15 and bought a lift van in 2001. I received several calls from him for help because someone would park across the diagonal stripes and block his ramp from extending. I or someone else would back his van out so he could get in and go on his way, now that is pathetic and I see it all the time.

Last month my Doctor informed me that he was no longer going to renew my placard and I thought good, I don't want it anyway. He went on to say I'm putting you in for a permanent placard and that he and the other doctors are discussing permanent disability from work. I was floored, there is no way I'm going to do that and let him know it.

And yes I am huge, sorry if you see me get out and you think, Fat Ass, I don't care anymore. I was put on steroids, prednisone and hydrocortisone, and put on weight fast. Just last month I had another surgery and put on a stress dose. What's a stress dose? Its when they increase the steroids 5 fold then have you taper off. I put on another 30 pounds in 3 days in the hospital. Sucks but I'm still breathing.

I'm hoping to be able to get off the steroids completely next year but will suffer a rebound effect that will most likely make my system crash but hopefully it will work in the long run.

So sometimes you may see people that have a temporary placard that forget to place it on their mirror. Hopefully if they are like me if I am feeling ok I won't use the spot.

ramble off

Tommy

I think its even more ridiculous to come to a public forum and post a guys plate number after you throw a temper tantrum. My father is handicapped and forgets to put his tag up sometimes. Way to investigate the facts instead of making a rash judgement with a bunch of nonsensical fat insults and defame the guy by maliciously posting his plate. Even if he wasn't handicapped, he showed less childishness than the OP here.

This guy is probably the same kind of douche-bag that touts all the tough sayings. Owns a shirt from every branch of the military. Owns patches and insignias from every military branch as well. But all were bought and not earned! This is the type of person who would probably run and hide if he were to face an actual terrorist! He needs stickers and shirts to make himself feel tough.

I think its even more ridiculous to come to a public forum and post a guys plate number after you throw a temper tantrum. My father is handicapped and forgets to put his tag up sometimes. Way to investigate the facts instead of making a rash judgement with a bunch of nonsensical fat insults and defame the guy by maliciously posting his plate. Even if he wasn't handicapped, he showed less childishness than the OP here.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I disagree with you completely. The OP did a service by posting the guy's plate. I have two disabled family members and nothing is worse than seeing non-handicapped people steal the few available spots from them.

For anyone who missed it the moron's plate was

MASSACHUSETTS 924 TSX.

Well my ex-gf had an HP placard for her car and you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell from looking at her that she was disabled. She was though and if anyone like you had ever tried to confront her with me around you'd have found out fast what a mistake THAT could be.
As for people who park in the spots without an HP placard, I vote for blocking them in with your car and then taking your sweet-ass time with whatever you are doing inside the store.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I disagree with you completely. The OP did a service by posting the guy's plate. I have two disabled family members and nothing is worse than seeing non-handicapped people steal the few available spots from them.

For anyone who missed it the moron's plate was

MASSACHUSETTS 924 TSX.

Wecome!

And +1!

Case of peckerheadeness -

A retired Framingham cop (Nardini) hears all parking ticket appeals in that town (so much for "independent review"). A handicapped woman got a $200 ticket. She sent in a copy of her handicapped permit and supporting documentation, explaining that it was left on a flipped up visor. Nardini's decision - the $200 fine stands, the offense is "failure to display", not "failure to have". Technically accurate, but totally lacking in common sense or compassion.

When I worked for the PD at a large college, I had one of the students pull me aside and tell me that if I saw his car parked in an HP space, that he had two prosthetic feet!! I would never have guessed by looking at him or how he walked.

I had a client that had a placard. He and his Wife were in their 30s and she had some sort of heart condition. Again, not visible, but legit.

It aggravates me to see people abuse HP spaces, but one needs to be careful about "assumptions".

One day I was walking into BJ's in Dedham while a detail Officer was writing up some DB that had parked in an HP space. When he was done, I went over and thanked him, shook his hand and chatted with him.

My late Father lost a leg to diabetes and thus had HP plates. One day he suggested that I take his car into Boston to go shopping at the old Haymarket Square since I could park much more easily than driving my car. I chewed him a new a-hole for that suggestion and then drove my car into Boston.

To the OP:

Take a picture of the car/plate/HP sign and forward to the local PD with date/time. They could (if they wanted) mail the jerk a ticket.

As above, but call the PD and report it. If a cruiser is available, they might stop by and ticket him.

Just a bit of advice. The next time you come across someone like this get proof. Most people have cell phones with cameras on them. Take a picture of it. Then immediately call the cops. It isn't an emergency so they might just show up quickly! If you don't have time to wait for them to show up then oh well...you tried!

Do away with all laws against homicide for a mere 5 years, and most of the ills of society would be cured.

No. Simply reduce the statute of limitations to 24 hours. Do this for one week each year. That should do it. I actually had this conversation with a Mass SP acquaintance of mine. He was hard pressed to find a reason to disagree. Many a$$holes would be eliminated from society in this way. The rest of us would just have to buckle down for a week.

I don't have a problem with the HP system, but I think the allocation of spaces is pretty crappy.

I once lived in an apartment complex with two handicapped spaces, and 0 handicapped tenants. It was permit parking only, and there were far more tenants than spaces, but the law said they had to have X% handicapped spaces. Go Government!

I once lived in an apartment complex with two handicapped spaces, and 0 handicapped tenants. It was permit parking only, and there were far more tenants than spaces, but the law said they had to have X% handicapped spaces. Go Government!

Somebody might have a handicapped visitor, no?

What that guy did it is completely wrong, but I must say that pissed me even more than that, when a non handicap parks in a non handicap spot taking 2 parking spots, or when people hit your car and don’t say anything. And to be honest, at least here in Florida, what pissed me off the most is when I go to Home Depot, Lowe’s and other places and they have like 40 HP spots always empty and you have to go 300 yard to park your truck in a rainy day at 6am just because of that, and then go back to your truck with 200 pounds in materials seeing that those HP spots still empty.

I agree about HP spots, but I believe that they should be at hospitals and so forth. I never understood why 40 plus spots in a construction building, in shopping centers, etc. Don’t get me wrong, I have 3 handicap friends who have the same opinion. One thing is need to park for necessity and a different think need to park for pleasure.

Ish.

And the apartment could not possibly ever have have current residents become handicapped; have future handicapped residents; or ever have handicapped guests of residents, right?

Go, cretin!

Back
Top Bottom