Backyard Shooting

Well I know that if you live in many of the towns that is "no discharge of firearms" you're SOL. I know a BUNCH of towns in Maine are "Shotgun Only"

And then there are required distances you need to be from a paved road, and other houses.....

I'll let the other people feild that part!

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd Beard said:
Well I know that if you live in many of the towns that is "no discharge of firearms" you're SOL. I know a BUNCH of towns in Maine are "Shotgun Only"

And then there are required distances you need to be from a paved road, and other houses.....

I'll let the other people feild that part!

-Weer'd Beard
"No discharge of firearms" not a problem in my town.

My neighbor claims the "500 foot rule" as sited in the Connecticut Hunting and Trapping Guide. My position (theory) is that this applies to HUNTING only. If, following the "500 foot" theory for backyard shooting, it would also have to pertain to walking down the street with a CCW and a sidearm. The "500 foot rule" states: "It is prohibited to hunt with, shoot or CARRY a loaded firearm within 500 feet of any building ..."

So, how can the law apply to backyard target shooting?

Not trying to be a wise guy, just looking for others ideas / help on how to handle this.

Thanks.

Outta curiosity, what town do you live in? I know that living in Fairfield County, backyard shooting is a no-no. If I remember correctly, the CT laws were that you can shoot a Shotgun on private property with the only restriction being the 500 foot rule, but with a rifle, there had to be a minimum of 10 acres property, and the 500 foot rule would apply, too. As far as I know, NO HANDGUN shooting...not for hunting, not for fun in backyards. If you had a lot of private property, you may be able to get away with it as long as noone sees or complains.

Now I'm not 100% sure on these, but it's what I remember from when I lived there a little over a year ago.

Backyard

I shoot my.22 pistol in my backyard with no problems. My neighbors think I am a nutjob anyway. [twisted]

I live 500 feet away from my nearest neighbor in a cul-de-sac.

There is nothing but woods behind my house— which is owned by a neighbor who is a farmer. Since there is no law in my town (Mass.) I have never had a problem. I have an LTC also in case the police do show up.

I have shot my shotgun out back also, but I will go to the range from now on because of the noise.

Weer'd Beard said:

I asked a PO about this before. I realize PO are not lawyers and the gun laws in MASS are confusing and ambigious. However, he said state law trumps town law. Therefore, the town laws re discharge do not matter. Just the state law. As long as you are following the state law you're okay. This is his opinion, not mine, so no flames please. Any truth to that?

senorFrog said:
Weer'd Beard said:

I asked a PO about this before. I realize PO are not lawyers and the gun laws in MASS are confusing and ambigious. However, he said state law trumps town law. Therefore, the town laws re discharge do not matter. Just the state law. As long as you are following the state law you're okay. This is his opinion, not mine, so no flames please. Any truth to that?

I know that this won't fly in my town (posted no shooting in town without a special one-time police permit, and I'm sure that they won't issue one).

[And I say the above in spite of the fact that shooting on your own land is exempt, as long as you comply with MGLs, in our town by-law. I know what the by-law says because I wrote it with the help of our late pro-gun chief many years ago (we were faced with a total ban, so we came up with this as a compromise measure and that chief would have issued a 1-year permit). The current chief is totally anti-gun and I'm sure that he would never issue a permit, plus I'd expect him to hassle people shooting on their own land as well even though there may be no violation of town by-law.]

Once again, 351 different cities/towns thus 351 different sets of rules on what is and is not acceptable.

"However, he said state law trumps town law. Therefore, the town laws re discharge do not matter. Just the state law."

He's half-right - sometimes.

When there is a CONFLICT, state trumps town law. Here, there is no conflict. The state set a minimum distance from homes and roads for shooting; towns are FREE to regulate, or even ban, shooting.

dreppucci007 said:
Outta curiosity, what town do you live in? I know that living in Fairfield County, backyard shooting is a no-no. If I remember correctly, the CT laws were that you can shoot a Shotgun on private property with the only restriction being the 500 foot rule, but with a rifle, there had to be a minimum of 10 acres property, and the 500 foot rule would apply, too. As far as I know, NO HANDGUN shooting...not for hunting, not for fun in backyards. If you had a lot of private property, you may be able to get away with it as long as noone sees or complains.

Now I'm not 100% sure on these, but it's what I remember from when I lived there a little over a year ago.

Canterbury, CT. Plenty of land out here. Again, the law that everyone quotes ( including my neighbor) is the 500' hunting law from the Connecticut Hunting and Trapping Guide. That states states in order to hunt on private land in CT, you must be on at least 10 acres and rifle or shotgun is ok. Shotgun is all that is allowed on State land for hunting, and yes, no handgun hunting. But I am not aware of any law governing backyard Target shooting, not hunting. If anyone can help me out, I would love to stick it to my cry baby neighbor.
P.S. I have 10 acres, and have a great range set up behind my house. It aims away from his house, pitches downhill into a 12' high earth berm. The problem is I am about 400' from his house.

M1911 said:
I suggest that you contact a lawyer in CT. Make sure that he also checks the town ordinances.

I don't remember the guy's name, but he's an italian lawyer in either Norwalk or South Norwalk that actually helped teach the law section of one of the hunting courses that I attended! If you contact Hiller Sports in Norwalk, they could probably give you his name and number. I'm sure he'd be a good reference.

dreppucci007 said:
but he's an italian lawyer in either Norwalk or South Norwalk.

Hey, you gotta-no-problem, eh? [wink] You-a neighbor make-a-problem, you tell-a me, eh? I-a send-ah some mah boys from New Haven, eh. Your little-a-problem go away, eh? [wink]

(edited by Mother for correct quote)

dreppucci007 said:
http://attorneypages.com/details.php/44660_2044662_542_339_101.htm

This is him...Give him a call.
WOW, gun and divorce lawyer info on the same page...it doesn't get any better than that!
Good info, thanks

Back
Top Bottom