Backyard range in MA

I'm not aware of any range that is "licensed."

Andover is the only range in the state that possesses such a license.

Yes, and they are dumb as a bunch of rocks for doing so.

MGL requires that the club be a "shareholder club" in order to "qualify" to get a LTC-A Club License.

Almost no gun clubs in MA fit this characteristic legally, they are not-for-profit orgs with NO shareholders, thus can't get a LTC-A even if they wanted to (thankfully).

So, the answer to this question depends on what the legislature thought they were doing with the LTC-A for clubs. I suspect there was a desire to license all clubs, but during some editing the requirement was dropped or the theory I believe is the truth is that the drafters thought that the clubs would be forced to license because CLEOs would not issues LTCs, thereby forcing people to store their high cap guns and handguns at gun clubs. No shit. This was the point of the 1998 law. They thought they could goad into existence a japanese style system by making FIDs shall issue and LTCs hard to get. They just didn't think the CLEOs would issue LTCs like they ended up doing after 1998.

Long story but the proposed CMR was deep sixed after I testified to the above. Ask Jason, he was the hearing officer and can fill in the details.

@Hockeyguy3291
My dad lived in Sandisfield and had a 300 yard range. His neighbor has a 600 yard range to practice for precision rifle / palma.
We had a visit from the MSP one day as he said there was a complaint. We showed him around, what we were up to, let him use the Spotting Scope to prove how adequate our shooting abilities were and he was on his way.
I'm not sure there was an actual complaint. We had a range there since '73 and this happened in the early 90's with no complaints before then. The trooper was probably new to the force, patrolling in west boonieville where there is no crime to speak of, and bored out of his gourd.

Back
Top Bottom