• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

back OTA....

inerlogic

NES Member
Been wanting to hit the Fall River machine from New Bedford, the rubber duck on the HT wasn't making the trip...

"A rubber duck is basically an air-cooled dummy load" - N1JOY

So i went on a mission to find antenna fixins....

RG-58 from CellphoneShack in Wareham (the closest one to me still open) was a bitch trying to find the twinlead....

Ended up at Fairhaven Hardware, they had a pre-cut piece, 9.5' for a buck....

Picked up some self-sealing rubber tape and a 10m (well... 11m but once i get an swr meter, i'll trim it) mobile antenna from Walmart...

The solder wasn't even cool and i threw the antenna out of ny BR window... was hitting the 515 machine in FR....

Now that i actually own a house (since '08) it's time to put something on the roof...

As for 10m..... i cleaned out my dad's basement and he had an old Ranger (7950? Don't have it in front of me) i rigged up a dipole but couldn't hear anything but static.... (hence the walmart mag mount) gonna put it in the car and try again at some point....

No swr/power meter or analyzer anymore.... ebayed that stuff long ago....
Time to get back in and study for General methinks....

I used to have an Antron 99 i used for 11m, but, New Bedford being New Bedford, it eventually disappeared....

Also have a 2m mobile rig (nothing fancy, some cheap chinese radio) and a 2m mag mount coming from Amazon....

A lot of things have changed in the hobby since i put the mic down 10 years ago....

ForumRunner_20161119_075058.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Awesome! Welcome back. There is a Cape and Islands NTS traffic net that goes on a couple times a week. I think it is hosted on the Falmouth machine. You should check in to say hi and maybe take some traffic. You can find the specifics here : http://nts.ema.arrl.org/node/38

I can hear that machine, and i think in keyed it, but i'm not sure i'm getting in.

I'm in a hole though, i'm in the shadow of the SEMARA tower.... practically under it... but i can only hear 1 or 2 of the nightly weather net guys on the input...
There are 3 or 4 east of me (fairhaven, acushnet) whose signal has to go past me to get to the machine, and i can't hear 'em.... so.... yeh, need to sort my antenna situation... ;)

Battery in the D104 lollipop mic i rescued from dad's basement....

July '94 on that battery... that's the month i left for basic training.... 22 years ago....

ForumRunner_20161214_123348.jpg

ForumRunner_20161214_123401.jpg

No, none at all, it wasn't like a AA which rots everything, this was just like.... i don't know..... dry foamy dust......

I don't know how it sounds because i haven't been able to get out. There's a local 10m net but no one's heard me, i'm using a crap antenna though.... (walmart cb mag mount on my fridge ;) )

Back
Top Bottom