B-ramming, Grin and Take It, or....

Unfortunately moving from MA is not going to happen soon. I dream about moving to NH, but with my income coming from MA, the NH property taxes on top of MA income tax would be burdensome.
There are plenty of reasons not to move to NH. The commute would kill us. But the NH property tax issue shouldn't be one of them.

Tax rates in NH vary greatly, and the property values are far lower in NH than in MA. I'm paying more than $7,000 per year for a 1500 square foot ranch house in MA. I suspect I could buy a similar property in NH for a lot less, and pay similar (or less) real estate taxes.

While I can't really go into specifics here, I have firsthand knowledge of a couple of instances of the involvement of lawyers greatly sweetening the LTC-issuing process. And yeah, it's not (usually) about going head-to-head in court, it's about gentle persuasion and quietly-applied pressure. (Just having a lawyer involved in the first place says a lot to the issuing authority about how seriously you're taking things.)

While not getting too specific, did the lawyer call/meet with PD staff, or was it in the form of written correspondence to let them know he was on the case?

Take a day, do some research, pop open excel, and make an educated choice. It sounds like he may have done this. But I think we're digressing the thread.

I have done the numbers. Most of my work is in the Boston area, so southern NH would be a must (northern would be too far). The property taxes southern NH for a comparable property would be a big minus on the budget compared to my current situation. Sales tax does not come close to making up for this - I don't buy that much stuff, really.

To Mr. Weebles,

That period in time in Salem, you were lucky to get a damn LTC B, tough crowd running things then.

I am no expert on Gun Laws, but upon my first renewal in 95, I was downgraded from ALP "Protection of Life and Property" to T&H. I filled for a Judicial Review, and came out with a LTC A restricted to T&H, spent money came out with nothing. The OP lives in Eastern MA, I can think of 2 towns known for LTC B on first issue, Rowley and Peabody and maybe Salem still does it?

Mr. Weebles, your doing OK now aren't you?[grin]

There are plenty of reasons not to move to NH. The commute would kill us. But the NH property tax issue shouldn't be one of them.

Tax rates in NH vary greatly, and the property values are far lower in NH than in MA. I'm paying more than $7,000 per year for a 1500 square foot ranch house in MA. I suspect I could buy a similar property in NH for a lot less, and pay similar (or less) real estate taxes.

You may be right or you may be surprised - I think it depends on the town. Actually, I was trying to upgrade our house slightly in my prospective house shopping (really just checking out online) - but not by a huge amount, although I did want a good school district. It seemed the prop taxes would double anyway for me. Since I work in Mass and no easy way around that right now, I stopped the fantasizing before I got depressed. The commute would be bad anyway.

While not getting too specific, did the lawyer call/meet with PD staff, or was it in the form of written correspondence to let them know he was on the case?

Both, I think. Certainly in one of the cases the counsel and the issuing officer had plenty of history, and from where I was sitting it was more like the lawyer convincing the issuing officer to convince the CoP to issue the unrestricted license. (Knowing each other doesn't seem surprising--if there are say a dozen Mass. towns that are real pains, and a lawyer in Mass. who specializes in dealing with it, there's got to be some kind of working relationship there. Hopefully a good one.)

Mostly it's not about the rule of law, it's about ass-kissing and schmoozing. If you don't like it, please contact your state congressional entities about supporting H2259.

Back
Top Bottom