AZ Sheriff Joe Arpaio to Militia: We Will Shoot You. By Accident.

I do question what happened to lead to the arrest as well. it sounds like the identification on the sheriff's part was to point to their uniform, is that sufficient?

pretty easy to fake a uniform/patch in the middle of the night.

he very well could have refused to put down his weapon. is he required to at this point? honest question

"assualt" seems like it doesn't fit

I do question what happened to lead to the arrest as well. it sounds like the identification on the sheriff's part was to point to their uniform, is that sufficient?

he very well could have refused to put down his weapon. is he required to at this point? honest question

Was wondering the same.

just because they mention a drug runner doesn't mean it wasn't related to border security, they run drugs over the border with immigrants all the time.

I'm assuming the incident between the minuteman and the Maricopa County deputy took place in Maricopa County. You cannot, in the most literal sense, patrol the border in Maricopa County.

If the BG's in that area are known to wear uniforms of local PD's, I wouldn't take the uniform as sufficient either. Show me some ID, "officer".

Last edited:

If you're hiding in the woods looking for trouble and find yourself pointing your firearm at a uniformed officer, then you fail to put it down when he requests you to, I have no problem with your arrest.

YMMV

So instead of banding together with your neighbors to provide security that is lacking from the law enforcement side, you'll sit and wait and hope the bad guys don't come to your place while you are asleep or otherwise pre-occupied and unable to react? Hope you're a light sleeper, I guess; I'll join up and keep my neighborhood safe when the police cannot. It's all hypothetical up here at the moment, but I would not have an issue taking my turn on the patrol or performing neighborhood watch for an evening every couple days if it kept my family and friends safe.

The issue still stands that he saw someone who was presented as a threat and acted to stop the threat; as a result he got arrested for a "crime" that has no victim. Meanwhile, a cop reacts in the exact same way only they kill the person, the person's dog, and hit 8 bystanders and they go on paid administrative leave for a couple months before all charges are dropped and they go back to normal life once more. Double standards are inexcusable.

Again, don't worry about my family. I've got it covered. Thanks for your concern, though.

First, you don't know that's why he got arrested. More than one article states that he refused to release the officer from gunpoint when the officer identified himself visually. If true, I'm not that broken up about the arrest. Second, I see no indication that he was protecting his neighborhood. He was staking out a known drug trafficking area looking for trouble. Third, it's not always the case that police kill 46 people and 17 dogs then nothing happens to them. However, when it is it's abhorrent. I've spoken on THAT (completely separate topic) in other threads.

I'm fairly certain that many people I know are better trained to engage a shooter or violent aggressor than most police officers. Between military training and the sheer round count going downrange yearly in various scenarios, we shoot better, are (typically) better equipped, and (in the case of my deployed friends) have had more experience than the police. Bad things start happening, I'll handle it while my family gets to safety to wait for the police to come in and play clean up. No different than I did when I was a teenager with a skateboard, only now I'm better trained and better armed.

If someone is beating the crap out of someone nearby and you do nothing to intervene, then you are part of the problem with society today.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

i do NOT have a duty to protect anyone other than my family - or an obvious person who can't help themselves... i.e. someone chocking in restaurant, a minor, car accidents Ect. i've done it and will do it again. two grown ups fighting, even though i'd have the urge, i hope my thought process "be a good witness" stays intact. who knows...

as for the shooting.. there are a lot of war veterans who into law enforcement aaaaand cops that like the sport as well. what i don't have is the protections they have IF they make an error and a town to back them to hopefully keep their job and pay people... i would be put through the ringer..

i'm NOT talking about botched SWAT encounters (like Jose) i'm talking someone playing hero...

what ever happened to "we are responsible for our own safety" mentality?

Since I worked that AOR for 8 years. I think I can add some context to his comment.

There are armed 'ripcrews' roaming that area. They dress in camo and 'patrol' in groups. There have been no instances of blue v blue that I know of other than maybe the PA that died in a completely different area. I still am not convinced it was friendly fire, but that's the official story.

If these 'militia/minuteman' groups are out at night, dressed in camo, carrying firearms, there is a very real chance of an armed encounter between them and police or the Patrol. All he is saying is the obvious to those of us that work/worked that area, if they continue, the odds shrink to there being a bad incident.

If you've never been down there, it's really hard to describe in terms you won't think I'm exaggerating. It is a warzone.

Maybe, just maybe, instead of cops and individuals alike, playing a game of 'my balls are bigger than yours' or 'try me', people could just say

'hey, man, we are with the Sheriffs department, please don't point your rifle at me.'

'My bad, I thought there was some criminal activity taking place.'

'No worries, have a good evening and try to be more careful next time.'

But no, can't have stuff like that.

Maybe, just maybe, instead of cops and individuals alike, playing a game of 'my balls are bigger than yours' or 'try me', people could just say

'hey, man, we are with the Sheriffs department, please don't point your rifle at me.'

'My bad, I thought there was some criminal activity taking place.'

'No worries, have a good evening and try to be more careful next time.'

But no, can't have stuff like that.

FREEEEEDOOOOM. [laugh] how about wanna be's just stay their assess home *or* join the LE agency they sooooo want to be a part of? nope, it's easier to play commando w/o having to meet the requirements, right? no real training, no knowledge of the TTP's, intel, Ect.

yeah, no.

ETA: especially when you have a multi-agency event - you get information about friendlies in the AO, information about "credible" threats and what not. you know, because it's a semi organized responce... are you familiar with ICS? probably NOT. NICS (not the gun check)? NIMS? probably not because you wanna play commando. [laugh]

Last edited:
JOE DOING HIS JOB, UNLIKE OUR GOVERNMENT. DON'T BE ROAMING AROUND IN THE DARK WITH A GUN. YOU WANT TO PLAY COPS, BECOME ONE. SHIT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR STUPID.

Since I worked that AOR for 8 years. I think I can add some context to his comment.

There are armed 'ripcrews' roaming that area. They dress in camo and 'patrol' in groups. There have been no instances of blue v blue that I know of other than maybe the PA that died in a completely different area. I still am not convinced it was friendly fire, but that's the official story.

If these 'militia/minuteman' groups are out at night, dressed in camo, carrying firearms, there is a very real chance of an armed encounter between them and police or the Patrol. All he is saying is the obvious to those of us that work/worked that area, if they continue, the odds shrink to there being a bad incident.

If you've never been down there, it's really hard to describe in terms you won't think I'm exaggerating. It is a warzone.
if they go out at night wearing camouflage, and the border patrol can still see them, they do something wrong to begin with.

First, that's not always the case. Second, we empower them to. If you don't like that, take away that power. It's a system we set up and allow to continue. If you don't like it, change it.

I know, I know. FREEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM.
yes the police are empowered, but they are constrained by the constitution, which can not be overridden except by ammendment or president obama. (yes the last part is sarcasm)

All of this nonsense is completely eliminated by legalizing drugs.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, no one should be enforcing drug laws, because there shouldn't be any.
yea dealers should have vending vans set up right next to schools.
[rolleyes]

you know that's totally oppsite here. Jose was in his own home, minding his own business. [wink] vs. the "good guy HERO" pointing his gun at a LEO. how would you feel - espeically when your guys are getting shot at by the drug smugglers / cartels if some douche pointed a gun at you? i would have lit him up. end of story.

this is like those "what if" threads where people want to intervene in stuff that doesn't concern them... i.e. stopping what you think is a crime when it could be an under cover cop, domestic, drug deal gone bad ect... you might get yourself hurt. let the pros handle it.. get you and your family to safety...
you just dont get it "the pros" arent handling it. we are being overrun by illegal criminals who just dont give an f*** if they kill you and your family when they are smuggling. i suggest you go live on the border and get you ass lit up by some cartel members and then you might understand why people down there are taking it into their own hands.

I guess the question is, How many people who want to buy drugs aren't?

THIS plus 1 eFFing million. if they want it, they are going to get it. no need to waste resources and money trying curb human behavior. i look at it as a form of evolution. probably. [laugh] we can't go back to pre-"anything" IMO -but more folks need to wake up. this "war on drugs" and the domestic consequences of "GWOT" have made the sheep feel safe... and then... this one time, at band camp....

and here we are... what to do? what to do? i don't have the answer, i wish i did.

you just dont get it "the pros" arent handling it. we are being overrun by illegal criminals who just dont give an f*** if they kill you and your family when they are smuggling. i suggest you go live on the border and get you ass lit up by some cartel members and then you might understand why people down there are taking it into their own hands.

no thanks, i didn't sign up for that. i am not employed by the feds. you first chief. [laugh] why don't you just throw some strobes on your car and patrol your own hood like the guardian angels? i stay in my lane. you should probably do the same.

Isn't the story about a wannabe border patrol who pulled a gun on a sheriff?

Yes. I don't see too much statism in the article. It is factually correct - if you point a gun at someone else with a gun, you may get shot. If you point a gun at a LEO, you may get shot. If you point a gun at an NES member, you may get shot. Hell, if you point a gun at an armed great grandmother, you may get shot.

Dude points rifle at Deputy. Then Sheriff warns people 'hey, that can get you shot. Be careful with that shit'. Then whole online world collapses because Sheriff thinks only LE and military should have guns, Sheriff said Obamacare is the way of the future, Sheriff is secretly building concentration camps for gun owners, and Sheriff is taking our guns away. And our jobs. And Twinkies. And the Sheriff is archiving our NES conversations. Oh, and he's a Republican with an independent streak that once supported an idea rejected by mainstream R's, so he should be brought into the town square and lynched.

no thanks, i didn't sign up for that. i am not employed by the feds. you first chief. [laugh] why don't you just throw some strobes on your car and patrol your own hood like the guardian angels? i stay in my lane. you should probably do the same.
dont need to patrol my hood, half the people hunt or shoot around here. shit doesn't go down around here and if it did, it will be all done before "the pros" dust off the powdered sugar for the ten minute ride up.

i believe post number 50. its a very libertarian stance to not enforce any drug laws. selling drugs to a 12 yo is wrong in my book, just sayin.

yup, and legalizing drugs will do exactly zilch in relation to whether said 12 year old gets his paws on pot or not, but it will save a lot of lives and keep countless amounts of otherwise good people out of prison.

yup, and legalizing drugs will do exactly zilch in relation to whether said 12 year old gets his paws on pot or not, but it will save a lot of lives and keep countless amounts of otherwise good people out of prison.
who is selling the drugs to 12 yo, "good people"? I am having trouble following you here.

FREEEEEDOOOOM. [laugh] how about wanna be's just stay their assess home *or* join the LE agency they sooooo want to be a part of? nope, it's easier to play commando w/o having to meet the requirements, right? no real training, no knowledge of the TTP's, intel, Ect.

yeah, no.

ETA: especially when you have a multi-agency event - you get information about friendlies in the AO, information about "credible" threats and what not. you know, because it's a semi organized responce... are you familiar with ICS? probably NOT. NICS (not the gun check)? NIMS? probably not because you wanna play commando. [laugh]

Ever occur maybe they have no desire to join the same gang that works to oppress them. Are you part of the 'cops know best only they should be trusted to carry firearms' company? I don't know. Maybe you just love being controlled. That's cool, I guess...

Back
Top Bottom