Axes & Hatchets & Tomahawks

My wife is the big hatchet fan in our house. She has 8 that she’s picked up over the years.
Mostly wooden handle steel head antiques. I think she has 1 of the polymer handle axes.
She buys them at the antique shop and I fix them up for her.

Survival axe type thing. I bought this from an ad in the back of field and stream late 70's. Had to be many months saved allowance. Head has a coarse thread inside. Idea is you whittle down a handle and thread it on when you need an axe.
In useful axe world I love the fiskars splitting axes. Use speed and sharpness instead of weight. Shoulders much prefer it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180223_175520.jpg
    IMG_20180223_175520.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20180223_175453.jpg
    IMG_20180223_175453.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 80
I really want to get into throwing them.

Bought my son a SOG tomahawk for Christmas a few years ago. Made a 4'x4' target out of 2x6. With some practice we could both hit a paper plate at 25'.

Tons of fun.

sog_th1001-cp_1.png

I bought an Estwing 16" camp axe to try my hand at throwing them in January after seeing this vid.
American made and not a ton of money. All steel construction looks like a plus. It's built like a brick shit house...

E44A.jpg

Bought my son a SOG tomahawk for Christmas a few years ago.
I don't want to out myself as being paranoid but.....I have a pair of these, well similar, one on a holder on the front door and the other on the back door. just in case. when I go up to bed at night, they come up with me and only in position if i'm home. I guess they call them breaching tomahawks and some of the guys had taken to including them in their kit while in Afghanistan.

My wife is the big hatchet fan in our house. She has 8 that she’s picked up over the years.
Mostly wooden handle steel head antiques. I think she has 1 of the polymer handle axes.
She buys them at the antique shop and I fix them up for her.

If I had image I would post that “this comment worthless without pics!”

That said, my favorite (that I don’t have a picture of) is my Hudson Bay axe. Has a3/4 length handle, full size cutting edge but only half size or less at back. Bought it 60’s for carrying on trap line. Took me through scouts, and I still carry it when walking property line or trimming limbs. Front renews blaze on tree, back side drives nails on posted signs. No one allowed to use it but me. Kids may bury me with it. I should request axe on one side and my college Epee on the other.

Also have my dads Estwing(?) hatchet with handle made from leather rings. Also have my BSA hatchet from 6o’s.

Dam*. Now that I think about it I have three axes in mini barn. One for cutting roots in dirt. One for splitting kindling. Another in back corner with duplicate yard tools if younger son ever buys house. At least one more ar camp. Guess I can stop buying them at yard sales.

I’m a fan. Have had a few Gränsfors which are great and an RMJ Shrike which was fun but impractical for me. Most used is actually a Fiskars X27 and their 8lb maul for splitting wood.

I love the look of a wood handle axe/hatchet - but can't resist my Estwings. My dad bought me one when I was 9, and it didn't wear out until I was almost 40! I still have it, but it's retired now. I've got the blue handled big one and an identical twin to my old one. I figure now that I'm older and wiser (cough, cough) I'll probably get at least 50 years out of it.

(Both are currently buried in a dead tree outside, since me and the kids have taken up axe throwing)

About a week and a half ago I went to try out Axe throwing at the new APEX complex in Marlboro.

5 mins into it and I knew I was hooked. What a blast. Cost 28.00 for two of us to throw for 30 mins, we each had our own lane and got about 5 solid minutes of coaching and then they let us just throw away.

I did some research afterwards and now buying my own throwing hawk (maybe two or three) it was that much fun.

2hawks

The ones they have at Apex were really just hardware store hatchets and we were still sticking them pretty good.

This brings me to a couple questions if anyone has knowledge better than my short 30mins of experience;

For the hawk handle would 550 cord wrap interfere with the release/throwing? I saw some online that come wrapped up nice with 550 cord and are sold as throwing hawks.

I’d like to make a good sized target to put out back for my own entertainment, knife and hawk throwing.

Any recommendations for wood types, nails to use or wood glue only?
Does anyone here have a wood shop that wants to make up some targets to sell here?

I’ll probably have more questions as I go along with this new hobby but am excited about it and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Love the beard on that Viking Thrower. Tell your son we likey.

This does seem like a very nice thrower for a hundo Cams...

2hawks-tomahawk-competition-throwing-med-960x480_0.jpg

As to the paracord wrap, it would not be my first choice due to wear and tear on palms and likelihood of unraveling after constant throwing.
I do however, really like the looks of Eddie's son's grip.
~Matt

^^^ That’s kind of what I was thinking too, maybe should keep them smooth and waxed until I get into it more and actually know what the hell I’m doing.

The one I posted looks pretty good, some of the others I saw were 250 and higher. F that, I’m a newb.

Holy cow that is beautiful. Does he sell them? Talented young man you got there.
He makes knives and hatchets when the mood strikes him, I'm still trying to get him to make one for me!
Some of his creations are fantastic works of art.
If he ever gets into production, I'll post 'em up on here.

I definitely want to check this place out! Looks like a fun way to round out a day at the Marlborough Gun Show.

Indoor Axe Throwing - Group Axe Throwing | Half Axe

logo.png

Had a great time. They have about 10-15 lanes. It’s on the top floor too so you don’t have to listen to all the runny nosed little fat headed donut eaters on the bottom floor playing video games.

Place is huge. Indoor go-carts, bowling, bar, sick VR room set up with all the newest gear, we got to watch a group playing a zombie killin’ game and people were screaming and jumping like it was really happening around them. lol Looked pretty sweet.

He makes knives and hatchets when the mood strikes him, I'm still trying to get him to make one for me!
Some of his creations are fantastic works of art.
If he ever gets into production, I'll post 'em up on here.

Ah! Ya I guess Dad comes first on that list! Great looking work though.

Any recommendations for wood types

Pine! Find a nice, big white pine tree that was blown down last month and cut a 8-10" crosscut section or 2,3,4.
3'+ circumference will work great. Screw on 3 3/8" lag eye-bolts at 2,6,10 o'clock positions and hang between 2 trees. (3rd eye-bolt gets roped to a stake in the ground)

Or, build a stand if you are treeless...
iu

The key is a heavy target to absorb the shock of the hit.

Last edited:
Place is huge. Indoor go-carts, bowling, bar, sick VR room set up with all the newest gear, we got to watch a group playing a zombie killin’ game and people were screaming and jumping like it was really happening around them. lol Looked pretty sweet.

Sounds like an adult Disneyland...