Axes & Hatchets & Tomahawks

Nice!

The Gransfors SFA is a popular choice on NES. I swear by mine. It's an outstanding all-purpose tool.

Congratulations. I don't see that as a "weak moment" at all.
Haha, thx. I’m a pretty strong minded guy. I can resist everything but temptation.
Tried the SFA on some small stuff in woods and am very impressed.

Love the meaty haft on the bearded Hoffman...
09fb2618-15e2-4f04-9e86-7ac6ed2d76d2-jpeg.333011

Grabbed this little Council Tool hatchet for the sole purpose of sitting by the back door in case I ran out of kindling. Only used it a couple of times.

Have some random Coleman steel handle cheapie in my truck, just in case, have a couple of random axes that get used a couple of times a week around the house, picked up a nice Woodings-Verona 6 pound maul head off of fleabay and put it on a Truper glass handle. I tried to use it today for the first time and it bounced off this petrified oak. Out came the 8 pound Council Tool maul that I already had-Grainger was blowing them out on ebay a few months ago. That thing bounced off this oak too. Had to break out the cheap little splitting wedge I picked up at the Habitat for Humanity. I probably have another 30' of this petrified crap oak to cut and split. Good free wood and good exercise.

IMG_1918.jpg

Grabbed this little Council Tool hatchet for the sole purpose of sitting by the back door in case I ran out of kindling. Only used it a couple of times.

Have some random Coleman steel handle cheapie in my truck, just in case, have a couple of random axes that get used a couple of times a week around the house, picked up a nice Woodings-Verona 6 pound maul head off of fleabay and put it on a Truper glass handle. I tried to use it today for the first time and it bounced off this petrified oak. Out came the 8 pound Council Tool maul that I already had-Grainger was blowing them out on ebay a few months ago. That thing bounced off this oak too. Had to break out the cheap little splitting wedge I picked up at the Habitat for Humanity. I probably have another 30' of this petrified crap oak to cut and split. Good free wood and good exercise.

View attachment 411664

Too funny, I spent $20 on this bad Larry for the express purpose of sitting next to the back door to split logs for the fire pit. It takes a heck of an edge and does exactly what I need it to, and more. Like someone else said, I expect to put a new edge on most every cutting tool I purchase with few exceptions (the pocket knives I purchase are typically sharp enough for initial use).
Smoky Mountain Knife Works is a decent vendor with a wide variety of tools and price points. Can recommend.
D6ACA6EF-517C-42C3-9CA1-92065BA8A700.jpeg

I may be 'Bad' for your wallet... but I'm great for your "Preparedness'...!

In hard times, that Gransfors Bruks Splitting Hatchet will be worth more than a fist-full of greenbacks. A very wise choice...
~Enbloc

lol - the thing is i have all these things. You're just making me buy more/better ones.
:)

Finally caught up with my neighbor and got my Cold Steel Tomahawk back. My Girlfriends 9 year old brought it over there to “Help” him bust up some pallets and of course forgot to bring it back and it was imprisoned in his garage for over a month. She is not pretty but she handles business when duty calls... D7F30C20-8D19-43DA-A560-E57C2DD7C19D.jpeg

I love mine. Way easier than swinging a maul and just about as effective. If you add up the energy required even with a few extra hits on hard pieces the Fiskars comes out ahead in my opinion.

I picked up one of those hollow handled Fiskars axes when we moved in 15 years ago. That thing has hacked many a root and stump out of the ground over the years. Haven’t done much splitting with it but it’s light enough that I wouldn’t think twice about carrying it around all day if needed.

huh - just now realized it’s branded Gerber but definitely made by fiskars. You can see it molded in at the back of the head. Checking google it looks like Gerber is owned by Fiskars.

1606528340274.jpeg

Last edited: