• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Awesome pheasant hunt.

WMBDC

Anyone interested in getting in some Hunting, should look into it soon. as of 1/27/08 there were Approx 16 pheasants left. Jim is looking into picking up another shipment, but we can not guarantee how much longer Pheasants will be available to us this season. Chukars should be available right straight through until hot weather hits.

Current conditions at the club are snowy. Some spots are ankle deep while others are up to knee deep, which makes for some sloe hunting. The birds are feisty and can get up and run quite a bit with all the snow and crust. Warmer days are definitely fun, watching the dogs track prints in the snow. Heavily traveled areas can be very icy. We're hoping for some warm weather to break and thaw out some of the snow.

Anyone interested in getting up to the club to hunt can contact me here or at my personal e-mail. I don't know if this site will link you to it so here it is, [email protected]

or you can contact Jim Waitkus, the man in charge of all things Bird Related at [email protected]

Jim and I usually hunt every Sunday, so anyone interested in coming, that does not have a dog would be welcome to hunt with us. Currently Pheasants are $18.00 for non members. Memberships spaces are also open to anyone interested,with a 100 member cap. We also offer some fantastic opportunities for Youth Hunting.

www.wmbdc.com will get you to the site. unfortunately it's not very up to date, but we are trying to address that.

-Mike
WMBDC member

Remember.... Take a Kid Hunting.

Well I would love to work my new Brittney but I am having knee surgery next tuesday so will be out for awhile.

I would like info on membership for training her this year, (Birds is good!) and I don't live far away.

Contact me or Jim if you want info on memberships or guided hunts. We're usually there on most Sundays mornings especially if the weather is good... if we're not in the club house, we're out in the field. Look for the Weimaraners, then you'll know where we are. If you're looking for a guided hunt. e-mail first so you can get up to date conditions and bird inventory.

We're always looking for new members and guests to come knock down some birds with us.

I don't want to plug up the threads here advertising and what not, but the Goal Hunt was a success all around. Sounds like the guys had a good time at the club and we really had a great time hosting them. Unfortunately I was only around for the grilling and eating.

Jim and I have talked and we'd really love to do more events like this in the future. We're in the process of trying to take control of the website and bring it up to speed. I'll post something when that has all taken place, because I'd really like some feed back on how we can improve it.

That does sound like fun. Too bad I don't get my hunting license until March... I'll have to wait 'till next year.

Looks like a great hunt!

Last time I was pheasant hunting was in 1976 on Cheju Island in South Korea at the U.S. Army R&R center there.

Twentyfive dollars got you a license, a guide, a rented 12ga pump shotgun, a box of 25 shells, transportation to and from the field and a dog per hunting party of five. Bag limit was sixteen birds per license. Our dog was "Lady", an English Pointer and boy would she hunt.

The birds run in the furrows of the safflower fields which are walled off with stone walls made of the local volcanic rock.

About every point Lady made flushed about twenty birds. I shot my limit in under an hour, what a day!
Anyone who shot a hen had to buy a round of cognac at the bar when we got back. We all had a few cognacs at the end of the day. A couple of guys just couldn't tell the cocks from the hens.

For about fifty cents, you could have your birds prepared at the chow hall and served with potatoe and vegetable. All uneaten birds were cleaned, frozen and donated to the orphanage in the village.
Those kids ate very well. Our party alone donated about 50 birds.

Never saw so many pheasant in one place anywhere in my life. I'd love to go back there.....maybe someday.

Back
Top Bottom