• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Awesome pheasant hunt.

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
Let me preface this by saying I grew up in Minnesota hunting ring necks with my father in Minnesota and South Dakota. I've hunted public land, private land, and a good share of private pheasant clubs in the midwest.

A couple of months ago I was the high bidder on a 10 bird guided pheasant hunt that was donated by the Western Mass bird dog club to the Gun Owners' Action League for their fund raising dinner in Saugus.

I made arrangements with Jim Waitkus of WMBDC to have myself, Jon Green, and Adam LaGross hunt on the Marine Corps birthday (Nov 10th). We arrived at 11am and were greeted by Jim and Olen Bielski. From the moment we were warmly greeted by Jim and Olen I knew we were going to be in for a fun day. Olen was our guide for the day and he brought his two labs, Felix (black), and Buster (yellow).

Once we were all loaded up we headed out to the first field. Felix and Buster worked wonderfully back and forth in front of us. You could tell when they got on scent and started getting birdy as their tails started to stand up and wiggle quickly back and forth as they were in hot pursuit. They flushed a couple of birds right off the bat and because they were working nice and close to us they were easy 20 yard shots on both birds. It was a great way to start the hunt!

We ended up with four birds in the first field and tree line then we headed back to the club house for a break. After a short break we headed down to the swamp, this area has a creek running right down the middle of it and the cover is very thick. Felix and Buster were working hard locating birds in the 2' high cover. The two of them flushed a handful of birds in the swamp and made some remarkable retrieves in the thick cover. Once we finished walking the swamp we headed back up to the club house again.

When we arrived at the club house Jim already had a grill full of marinated pheasant cooking. We chatted with Olen a bit before he had to take off and headed inside the club house for some absolutely delicious grilled pheasant. There were some other members inside and we chatted with them and Jim while we all ate. Everyone at the club made you feel like you were at home and it was like hunting with family. It was truly a remarkable experience and by far the best experience I have had at a private hunting club.

I know I speak for Adam and Jon when I say to Jim and Olen, Thank you very much for the wonderful hunt. I can't wait to get back there again.

Derek and Adam upon arrival.
IMG_6311.JPG

Olen and Felix.
IMG_6312.JPG

Felix with another retrieve.
IMG_6313.JPG

Adam in the field.
IMG_6318.JPG

Jim and Buster.
IMG_6319.JPG

Derek in the field with Felix just in front of me working.
IMG_6323.JPG

Olen setting up Felix for a blind retrieve.
IMG_6325.JPG

Buster coming back after a very hard retrive across the creek and in some very thick cover.
IMG_6327.JPG

From left to right. Adam, Derek, Jim, Jon, Olen, Buster, and Felix.
IMG_6331.JPG

Jon's yellow lab pup Bella got some early training with a solid bird drag.
IMG_6337.JPG

If you have been thinking about going to a private club for a pheasant hunt I strongly suggest you give WMBDC look, I would give them a very strong 10 out of 10.

Last edited:
Sweeeeeeeeet!

Are they open to the public?

Are they restricted to the MA hunting seasons, or are they like a game farm where they can operate all year round?

I can see a field trip in my future....[wink]

I've been thinking of doing that, just to get my pup on some solid birds. I should make a post to see if anyone's interested.

Jon and I were talking about putting a group of guys together for a hunt out there.

I'm in for another hunt at that club.

I'd be up for that. If it is later in the winter, I'd like to get the new pup onto some birds. I can also take the 2 experienced pooches as pickup dogs for whatever the pups can't come up with.

Jon and I were talking about putting a group of guys together for a hunt out there.

I'm in for another hunt at that club.
Derek, if it's not for another 6 weeks or so, I'd love to go and try my hand at it. (soon as my leg is out of the cast, that is.)

Sweeeeeeeeet!

Are they open to the public?

Are they restricted to the MA hunting seasons, or are they like a game farm where they can operate all year round?

I can see a field trip in my future....[wink]

Jim sent me some info via email.

Yes we're open to the public. We are a class A shooting preserve. That means we can hunt and shoot 365 days a year. We are not restricted to the Mass hunting seasons. When it is not hunting season we can shoot from 8 A.M to 5 P.M. Monday through Saturday. Sundays we shoot from 10 A.M. through 4 P.M. During the hunting season we can shoot/hunt from 1/2 hr before sunrise until sunset.

Non-members can use the facility to hunt up to three times per year. Clayshooters can come as many times as they want.

thats right down the road from me. (westfield area) I looked into joining years ago glad to see they are still going strong. thier webpage is all dead links. Looks like a fun hunt. I have only gotten out a few times this year with no birds. (my fault not the dogs!) trying to hunt with a new gun and it isn't working out too well. I don't think the little 20 ga over and under is long for the gun safe....

Anyone have contact info for them? The web site is dead.

I'm hunting at Lady Woods in Douglas, MA, in Dec for the first time. Anyone been there yet?

David

Just want to add that WMBD is a great place to go to and you wont find another human like Jim; he is an amazing and great guy. Top notch all around.

David, I'll see if I can find out about their website.

Clinotus, you're 100% correct on Jim, one hell of a great guy!

No, but now is a good time to get one going for maybe Feb or March. I'll email Jim and see what Saturday's are available.

Thanks for sharing Derek - nothing better then donating to a good cause and having a great day come out of it at the same time.

Man that looked like a great time. The guys at my club said they would hook me up this year and show me how it's done. Never been.

Back
Top Bottom