• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Awesome Blade Sharpener: Spyderco Sharpmaker

I recently picked up one of these to sharpen my various pocket knives:

204_L.jpg

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

This thing is awesome. I've been going around the house sharpening everything I can. It works great on kitchen knives and handles serrated blades nicely as well. It comes with an instruction video.

Anyone else tried one of these?

(No, I don't work for spyderco, but I might if they offered me a job.)

Last edited:
Sharpmakers are the best user-grade sharpener out there. Lots like them and swear by them. You can't get much better for your money!

The only thing that i've seen that will put on a better edge (but its a LOT better) is what I use, which is called the EdgePro. it uses waterstones and papers way up past 3000 grit and literally puts a mirror finish on the cutting bevel of the edge if you choose. You can do absurdly sharp bevels with this thing (ability to shave long curls off human hairs)

It costs a lot more than a sharpmaker, however.

edgepro001%20006.jpg

Spyderco makes quality products - I have been happy with everything I have ever gotten from them.

Sharpmakers are the best user-grade sharpener out there. Lots like them and swear by them. You can't get much better for your money!

The only thing that i've seen that will put on a better edge (but its a LOT better) is what I use, which is called the EdgePro. it uses waterstones and papers way up past 3000 grit and literally puts a mirror finish on the cutting bevel of the edge if you choose. You can do absurdly sharp bevels with this thing (ability to shave long curls off human hairs)

It costs a lot more than a sharpmaker, however.

Wow. I need to check that out.

I love being able to sharpen serrated blades. I've been able to resurrect one of my spydercos.

I have an older one and LOVE IT! I tried everything and it's now the only sharpener I will use.

BTW, I can set up a group buy on these (I have connections) if people want...

Chris

I've never been able to sharpen a knife worth a damn. If there's a group buy I would be in.

Meh...I'm all done with fancy-pants knife sharpeners. No more whet stones, no more crock-sticks...I have been using a Rada kitchen knife sharpener for years and it has always put a razor-sharp edge on all my blades. Recently we got these in at DSG and at least once per shift, I sharpen someone's knife with an edge that will make you see God...There's another version of this floating out on TV-land, (Kiwi-Sharp I think), but Gerber sent us these a couple of years ago and they're awesome:

http://www.rockynational.com/5962_22-41847_Gerber_Sharpener_DF8.html

I have this on my key chain and it's equally awesome...Will gladly stack it up against the fancy-schmancy...

http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/s-pp1.html

I am a spyderco dealer. If someone wants to do the leg work I will give you guys "wholesale" pricing to green members.

I just checked my distributor and NES members would get this for about $50. That would include shipping to me.

Meh...I'm all done with fancy-pants knife sharpeners. No more whet stones, no more crock-sticks...I have been using a Rada kitchen knife sharpener for years and it has always put a razor-sharp edge on all my blades. Recently we got these in at DSG and at least once per shift, I sharpen someone's knife with an edge that will make you see God...There's another version of this floating out on TV-land, (Kiwi-Sharp I think), but Gerber sent us these a couple of years ago and they're awesome:

I have this on my key chain and it's equally awesome...Will gladly stack it up against the fancy-schmancy...

Be careful, you're basically saying that a drag-through medium/rough sharpeneer with a fixed angle and a keychain fob are equal to much more specialized devices that are FAR superior in almost ever way.

I don't think you really mean they are equally good. They are equally good for YOU...who probably only needs a mildly sharp EDC edge for your production knives. You probably get nice toothy 120 grit bevels with those sharpeners you posted. Its a far strech to then assume those bevels are equal to ones with 3000 grit edges that are also set to custom angles for particular jobs.

Shaving sharp is pretty much a minimum level of sharpness to shoot for in a sharpener...not the holy grail of sharpening. Some people like to get the most extreme levels of sharpness for their knives, and if they want to do that on knives bigger than pocket knives and made out of steel better than typical production knives, they will eventually need something better.

I picked up one of those Gerber sharpeners and it does do a great job. I found though, that it can really scratch up the sides of a coated blade (teflon, etc.). Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone going to Fraggin Frosty who wants to put this to the test, I'm game...My knives are "whose blood is that?" sharp....Modern technology...It seems to work...Even with knife sharpening. I won't deny anyone their right to sharpen knives old school if it trips you trigger...Some like the methodical art of sharpening a knife - I happen to have found a better way for me and I'd be willing to bet a bottle of honing oil that if someone with fancy pants sharpening methods and I with my easy breezy way took identical knives out of a package and each sharpened them not in the presence of an impartial judge, that it would be unlikely that the judge could tell the difference...Someone take me up on it.....

I am a spyderco dealer. If someone wants to do the leg work I will give you guys "wholesale" pricing to green members.

Thanks Mike-Mike... I would have done the same (price wise)... But if you want to do it instead, and take this opportunity away from me to do some good for ALL members, go for it. I was a spyderco dealer for a long time and such...

:(

Anyone going to Fraggin Frosty who wants to put this to the test, I'm game...My knives are "whose blood is that?" sharp....Modern technology...It seems to work...Even with knife sharpening. I won't deny anyone their right to sharpen knives old school if it trips you trigger...Some like the methodical art of sharpening a knife - I happen to have found a better way for me and I'd be willing to bet a bottle of honing oil that if someone with fancy pants sharpening methods and I with my easy breezy way took identical knives out of a package and each sharpened them not in the presence of an impartial judge, that it would be unlikely that the judge could tell the difference...Someone take me up on it.....

I know a fair bit more about the results of edge quality and blade geometry than the process of creating them. If your sharpener works for one of these, I'd be very surprised. The problem with the fixed geometry, fixed roughness setups is not how sharp they can make a blade, it's what kind of edge you get. The grain of the edge, the angle, the backbevel, all affect how the resulting edge will cut, and how it will last. Your setup offers no options for those things, it's one-size fits all.

It's like claiming that you've invented a tool that makes the process of rifling 5.56 barrels really simple and easy, by using a pre-set twist. If it only does 1 in 9 right handed twist, then it's no good if you're trying to make a barrel with a 1 in 7 left-handed twist.

You just can't get as fine an edge with those type of sharpeners. They remove to much steel. To get a truly polished edge, you need ultra fine stone, a cardboard wheel or stropping.

Back
Top Bottom