• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AWB & Shotguns

Are shotguns with mags now illegal? For example is a Verp12 with a thumb hole stock now illegal?

My opinion this guidance which is worth not much on this topic is the vepr would be a no go Because the receiver is similar to the AK which is banned by name

Been wondering this too. From the AG Notice Q&A...I read this as YES some are still fine but who knows!

"Q: Are there examples or categories of weapons that are not assault weapons?

Yes. Many rifles, shotguns, and pistols are not assault weapons, and therefore are not “copies or duplicates” of enumerated assault weapons. For example, the following are not assault weapons under G.L. c. 140, § 121:

...Any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine."

Last edited:
Been wondering this too. From the AG Notice Q&A...I read this as YES some are still fine but who knows!

Yes. Many rifles, shotguns, and pistols are not assault weapons, and therefore are not “copies or duplicates” of enumerated assault weapons. For example, the following are not assault weapons under G.L. c. 140, § 121:

...Any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine."

This magazine for the Vepr12 seems to be larger than 5 rounds

I always use this in my MA Gun Law Seminars, I ask the students "how long a magazine can you make for any gun that holds an external magazine?"

The answer is "as long as you want", so those words are open-ended and literally (black letter of the law) means ALL external mag guns CAN be an AW!!! Regardless of what is available on the open market!

So now the VEPR I lost in a canoeing accident was post-ban pre-ban; or was it pre-ban post-ban?

I always use this in my MA Gun Law Seminars, I ask the students "how long a magazine can you make for any gun that holds an external magazine?"

The answer is "as long as you want", so those words are open-ended and literally (black letter of the law) means ALL external mag guns CAN be an AW!!! Regardless of what is available on the open market!

Correct. As far as I know it's always been illegal to have a mag over 5rds on a shotgun anyway in MA...so while it's true they DO make larger capacity mags, they are illegal to own in MA anyway. So I would hope the law would be what it is, but I am not willing to be the guy to test it.

Back
Top Bottom