• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AWB: Registration and Residency Question

Sorry to beat this topic to death when there's so little clarity out there right now anyways. Perhaps someone who's been through the prior ban can ask answer this, however.

If I were to register my guns now, move out of the state for a period of time (establishing residency in another state), and move back to CT at a future time, would I be allowed to lawfully keep my original guns?

To put it another way, I have several post 1st ban, pre 2nd ban ARs. My job brings me to MA for a while (who knew they'd ever have better gun laws [thinking]), but ultimately I'll end up back in CT. Didn't know if the certificate was no good once you moved out of CT or if there's even any clarity on this. So far, I couldn't find anything useful.

This is the only answer. If you can maintainb legal residency you are good. Remember that yoy can be the resident of multiple states.

Ive never read the law with an eye towards your situation, but there might be another alternative. That might be to leave them in CT while you are gone. I mention this because I don't recall the law saying anything about residency. Only that you must possess them by April 4 and must register them by Jan 1.

thank you all for the various input - even if there are 3 different answers

As frustrating as the law is, trying to make sense of it is even worse. I do appreciate the responses though.

Still not quite sure how the state of CT would even know how to tell the difference a few years down the road, assuming you get a physical piece of paper when you register them.

Last edited:
when you leave the state you could drop off those bad boys with gov malloy, he will take care of them for you.

Back
Top Bottom