Avoiding The Solvent Trap Trap - legally owning one to keep for a rainy day

Reptile

NES Member
I see adds for solvent traps in my emails every day.
"This is totally legal to own, but if you make a hole in it, you must file a NFA Form."
I hear the law is tracking down people who buy these and arresting them.
Can a person be charged if they keep the "solvent trap" as is - without and alteration (a hole) to make a silencer?
If not, we should all be buying these up - in preparation for Go Time.
Come Civil War 2.0, people can use these and won't have to worry much about getting arrested if there is a full blown war with a collapsed government.

What say the hive?

The ones I've seen are cheap silencers without the bore drilled - no use as a solvent trap even if a solvent trap had an actual use.

If you wanted to play the solvent trap game then big boy rules apply.

"This is totally legal to own, but if you make a hole in it, you must file a NFA Form."
Can a person be charged if they keep the "solvent trap" as is - without and alteration (a hole) to make a silencer?
Come Civil War 2.0, people can use these and won't have to worry much about getting arrested if there is a full blown war with a collapsed government.

What say the hive?
Yes, because if the government falls, how loud my shots are is going to be my primary concern.

What say the hive?
My son did a bunch of research. So long as you file the ATF paperwork, pay the tax, get approved before drilling that hole, it is legal. He said that in documentation he found, approval is shorter, on average.
ATF is hassling anyone that buy a lot of diesel size oil filters too.

They were pushing them on Facebook a while back. Had adds popping up constantly for them. Definitely some Chinese based company. Claimed they were fuel filters. already had the holes punched. Pretty sketchy. FBI was fishing and caught a lot of guppies.

My son did a bunch of research. So long as you file the ATF paperwork, pay the tax, get approved before drilling that hole, it is legal. He said that in documentation he found, approval is shorter, on average.
ATF is hassling anyone that buy a lot of diesel size oil filters too.

This doesn’t apply to Mass.

And yet another thread on these POS things, like there aren’t enough already. Why not just call the ATF and ask them “Hey Mr Federal Agent Man, I’m in Mass, can I...?

“No.” click

Knock knock. “Who is it?”

“Mr Reptile? Ok, put down the rubber chicken and grab your toothbrush.”

Last edited:
Adulting rules apply with everything we are doing here in MA. the likelihood of you ever winning a court case in MA, be in 80%s, std mags, fuel filters, or anything else that should be free is less pretty grim

In the case of a "solvent trap" I'd be more concerned about fed honeypots and other stuff like that, frankly. Maybe not even ATF but apparently the people pushing these things are breaking
some kind of import regs, even though they're not technically "suppressors" that work in the eyes of the law, my guess is that DHS et al still considers them "gun parts". You can't even import a magazine into the US without the dept of state approving it. (or exempting it somehow, which it might be in certain cases).

• Upon closer examination, they don't ship to Mass.
  • If I had one I'd be in trouble - probably.
  • 86 that idea.

Here is more info...

• JK Armament | 155P MST Kit

• View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=285&v=MXG5WY08hdU&feature=emb_logo

• A Disclaimer from JK Armament
    "JK Armament is selling parts and products for solvent traps.
    Solvent traps are a “firearm accessory” as such they can be attached to the end of the barrel, with an adapter, as a cleaning accessory and are not considered as anything other than an accessory because a projectile, or bullet, cannot pass through the tube without modification.
    Solvent traps can be purchased legally without a Form 1.
    You cannot, however, modify, alter or redesign them into a device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a firearm without first filing and receiving back from BATFE an approved Form 1. Be aware of the restrictions and regulations.
    Only after getting the approved Form 1 back can you make any modifications to the product. A crime is committed if you make the alterations before obtaining the tax stamp. Felony alert! Don’t do any alteration or modifications to our products before getting the approved Form 1 back.
    JK Armament disclaims any responsibility for your actions if you fail to follow these guidelines or any applicable laws. This includes Federal as well as state, county and municipal laws and regulations.
    We also cannot be responsible for any result, consequence, damage or liability following any modifications or work done on our product after purchase. This includes third party liability.
    No recommendation or endorsement of any modification, work or alteration to our product is made by these statements. Any such work, alteration and/ or modification is done at the sole risk and liability of the product owner. If you decide to make any modification or alteration to our products, please first read, review and follow all Federal regulations regarding NFA items.
    The stated intent of a solvent trap is to catch and trap gun cleaning solvent during bore cleaning operations commonly performed on firearms. Solvent traps do attach to the muzzle of a firearm but do not have any design features intended to allow a bullet to pass through them.
    Since as originally manufactured they are not intended to silence, muffle or diminish the report of a portable firearm they are not silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24) and thus also are not firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) or 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(7).
    However, if the solvent trapped was redesigned or utilized to assemble a device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm or if intent was demonstrated to use the device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, the solvent trap would be classified as a “firearm silencer” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) and as a “firearm” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(C) and 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(7)."

Maybe I am naive. But I don’t see how a bunch of parts that need extensive precision machining and then assembly even with atf’s ridiculousness in mass can constitute constructuve possession.

Maybe I am naive. But I don’t see how a bunch of parts that need extensive precision machining and then assembly even with atf’s ridiculousness in mass can constitute constructuve possession.
They don't need extensive or precise machining - some of them already have center drills to mark where to drill. They are oversizing the bore so you can be off slightly and not get baffle strikes.

Or just use the bat suppressor and call it a day. Plus, it has been specifically approved for zombie duty.
09D984A3-1067-4FB0-BBF7-E9AC60A79B2B.jpeg

This doesn’t apply to Mass.

And yet another thread on these POS things, like there aren’t enough already. Why not just call the ATF and ask them “Hey Mr Federal Agent Man, I’m in Mass, can I...?

“No.” click

Knock knock. “Who is it?”

“Mr Reptile? Ok, put down the rubber chicken and grab your toothbrush.”
True. MA has so many foolish laws driven by what the rulers think a thing is rather than what it actually is.
Where they are legal, one is always better off buying from the companies that know what they are doing.
In NC there are several such companies.
Would love to get a can for my FNX45. Excuse to "swap" it out for an FNX45T.

Anybody who buys one is gonna lose a lot if money/property when alphabet agency shows up and rams in the door at 3AM.

Caveat emptor.

They don't need extensive or precise machining - some of them already have center drills to mark where to drill. They are oversizing the bore so you can be off slightly and not get baffle strikes.

i would argue that this Does constitute precision machining. Or extensive modification.
but, I would not want to be the one to test it in court in front of a bunch of ATF “experts”

i would argue that this Does constitute precision machining. Or extensive modification.
but, I would not want to be the one to test it in court in front of a bunch of ATF “experts”
Drilling a hole that has an existing locating feature is not precision machining - if you want the maximum performance you would need to be precise but drilling a standard sized hole 0.05"- 0.10" over caliber will work and can easily done with a hand drill.

Neither is extensive modification - the vast majority of critical operations have been performed. Drilling out the bore is probably only removing less than 10% of material

Not for nothing, but I'd recommend titanium shell with steel baffles. When you are "collecting solvent" at 2300 fpm, the aluminum threads can blow off sending your collector down range. Gives a whole new meaning to "shooting trap".

So I've heard.

This really isn't an issue. There's plenty of reputable manufacturers for solvent traps that make precise, high quality components. Buy your kit, file the appropriate Form 1 with the ATF and pay the $200. Wait. Then have it engraved per ATF guidelines and finish it by drilling your holes making it a functional suppressor. That's it.

Mine took 17 days for approval and with the tax included I was into it for $350.

Where are you going to legally obtain a quality suppressor in 17 days for $350?

Its a very viable option.

This really isn't an issue. There's plenty of reputable manufacturers for solvent traps that make precise, high quality components. Buy your kit, file the appropriate Form 1 with the ATF and pay the $200. Wait. Then have it engraved per ATF guidelines and finish it by drilling your holes making it a functional suppressor. That's it.

Mine took 17 days for approval and with the tax included I was into it for $350.

Where are you going to legally obtain a quality suppressor in 17 days for $350?

Its a very viable option.
OP is talking about buying a “solvent trap” and NOT filing the paperwork and NOT converting it into a silencer, all while avoiding the attention of the alphabet boys.

OP is talking about buying a “solvent trap” and NOT filing the paperwork and NOT converting it into a silencer, all while avoiding the attention of the alphabet boys.
Oh, OK. I didn't read it as that. Well, so long as the solvent trap remains in its un-altered condition I couldn't see a problem with it. "Knock Knock, whos there? ATF, yes Mr. NESr we see you bought a solvent trap, may we see it? Sure. " If its unaltered then no problems, but I'm betting the itch to grab a drill bit might be a bit much for some, and that could get a guy jammed up.

Back
Top Bottom