Avoiding The Solvent Trap Trap - legally owning one to keep for a rainy day

From the comments:

Can a Flesh Light also be a solvent trap?

Asking for a friend.

-------------

As far as the law goes, that is a damn good question.

How far will the law go to jam somebody up?

Can I hollow out a 2 L soda bottle throw in a paper towel roll on one end and call it a day?

We should push the limits of this bogus law that causes us to eventually go deaf.

As John Lewis said:

"Good Trouble"

Like the news article said.

Solvent traps are not illegal unless you convert them.

Maybe an NES'er could repurpose his old Flesh Light and make it into a suppressor.
At least you wont have to have a long tender conversation after you shoot in it.

It already has baffles AND a hole.

Boris, calling @Boris...

Do you want to be even more famous, my favorite inventor?

Could you just imagine getting jammed up for that?

Hopefully such an act will gin up so much anger at the government that they would drop the charges.

Ok, total suppressor newbie here. But, since my move to NH the thought of getting one, or more, has been percolating to the top of the list - maybe AR-15, maybe 9mm for my Glock, maybe both.

Anyway, this video looked cool but what's the advantage of buying one of these for ~$600, and then drilling your own holes, as opposed to buying one already set to go ?

Also, assuming normal use and you don't take out any baffles with a slightly errant round, what would be the expected longevity of something like this as opposed to one ready to go ?

Thanks !

Peter

Ok, total suppressor newbie here. But, since my move to NH the thought of getting one, or more, has been percolating to the top of the list - maybe AR-15, maybe 9mm for my Glock, maybe both.

Anyway, this video looked cool but what's the advantage of buying one of these for ~$600, and then drilling your own holes, as opposed to buying one already set to go ?

Also, assuming normal use and you don't take out any baffles with a slightly errant round, what would be the expected longevity of something like this as opposed to one ready to go ?

Thanks !

Peter
If you're in a free state there is no advantage. Just go buy what you want.

Well good luck to those who want to be beta testers for solvent traps in MA. Adulting is hard, instead of talking about it, and giving your intentions away, just do it and keep your mouth shut.

Wait. Solvent traps coat $600????? Yeah. Fram conversion seems smarter for goofing off at the range. But not in mASS of course.

Where is MA law does it say that possessing component parts is illegal?

Clearly you didn't bother to read prior posts. I understand.

However, I suggest you read the discussion on constructive possession. I'm not saying I agree that it is a big risk. But that is where the risk comes from.

There are a few vendors who are both US-based and ship from a US origin instead of drop shipping from China, but prices are slightly higher (I'm in NH and already have Form-1 stamps).

. . .
Anyway, this video looked cool but what's the advantage ... opposed to buying one already set to go ?
Mostly time -- Form-1 eFiled as a trust has a wait measured in weeks instead of months.

In the case of a "solvent trap" I'd be more concerned about fed honeypots and other stuff like that, frankly. Maybe not even ATF but apparently the people pushing these things are breaking
some kind of import regs,
even though they're not technically "suppressors" that work in the eyes of the law, my guess is that DHS et al still considers them "gun parts". You can't even import a magazine into the US without the dept of state approving it. (or exempting it somehow, which it might be in certain cases).

Excepting some of the "nicer" ones with mono-core internals, the vast majority are just maglite tubes and automotive core plugs (drilled or not) and an un-drilled cap. There wouldn't be any problem importing the component pieces separately and just having some monkey throwing together kits that just skirt the law. Maybe a constructive possession kind of thing, but I doubt it.

Excepting some of the "nicer" ones with mono-core internals, the vast majority are just maglite tubes and automotive core plugs (drilled or not) and an un-drilled cap. There wouldn't be any problem importing the component pieces separately and just having some monkey throwing together kits that just skirt the law. Maybe a constructive possession kind of thing, but I doubt it.
I don't think constructive intent will fly.

You can own a drill, jig and 80% lowers and that is not illegal.

When people see how simple suppressors are they should be appalled at companies charging $1,000 for a mag light tube with some baffles.

I don't think constructive intent will fly.

You can own a drill, jig and 80% lowers and that is not illegal.

When people see how simple suppressors are they should be appalled at companies charging $1,000 for a mag light tube with some baffles.
except it's not illegal to own a completed lower without a tax stamp.

Back
Top Bottom