Automotive Diag Scanners for shop repair use, what are you using?

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
my shop is in need of some series upgrades if we are going to get deeper into diag. Basic suspension/brakes/tires is the main stay but need diag bi directional scanner for drivetrain issues.
Waste a lot of time with out dated Scanners

Have the autel maxidas . It’s ok but lacks some deeper diag capabilities

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
There is a big difference between the consumer ODBII scanners and what a shop uses. I use Torque Pro to scan my jeep, but you should see what my son can do with his Snap-On system. I can look at codes and get some info in english, his tells him everything about every computer in the vehicle, gives him diagnostic steps for tracking down the cause, and can control the various systems.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Product...t=&hvlocphy=9001787&hvtargid=pla-405660976208

This with torque but I'm looking for something that can do ABS and airbag codes.
Same as others have posted, TorquePro with bluetooth adapter from Amazon.
Note: Before ordering one, conduct some research and read user reviews as
there have been complaints in the past of cheap counterfeits.

Since I bought a Rav last year, I've been using Toyota Techstream with a mini VCI cable, and an old
beater laptop (works on Toyota, Lexus and Scion only).
Not only is it good for DTC codes and complete auto analysis, but it can also program the engine control and other modules
(which I stay the f*** away from out of fear of screwing something up I had no business screwing around with [hmmm]).

One thing that came in real handy was being able to program a couple of spare keys.
Bought blank spares with chip on Amazon for $23.00 each.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader/Scanner for Android Devices
+​
Torque Lite (OBD2 & Car)

This with torque but I'm looking for something that can do ABS and airbag codes.
^This.
LTFY.

Photos of the tech:

+​

Not a mechanic, so I haven't needed ABS or airbag.

My own Civic Si is too stupid to indicate which tire is going flat,
so I'm sure I wish the frob could see TPMS.
But I'll just pretend I'm Hillary Clinton with a glass of chardonnay
walking through a tick-laden forest, and power through the disappointment.

(I dearly wish I'd tossed that frob in the car electronics bag before our 2017 Killington trip.
Frigging 2001 CR-V flashed a Check Engine light in West Bilgewater.
When I called the Honda dealer in Rutland,
it was 15 minutes before closing time for the weekend.
So we spent the whole trip afraid that the car was going to grenade on us in the mountains.
Turned out to be a stupid O2 sensor code that never recurred upon reset.
We traded in the '01 for a new '17 that July,
but the frob is always with us on trips now).

Only have the free Torque Lite, but if I come to need some feature in the pay app,
I have no qualms about paying for the upgrade.

But props to any carbuffs that just have to have the commercial tech...

NES Bonus: here's the labeling of the 5 LEDs on the frob:

In other words, in order from closest to the plug to most distant:
  1. Frob has power.
  2. Frob is receiving data from the car.
  3. Frob is transmitting data to the car.
  4. Frob is receiving data over Bluetooth from the cell phone.
  5. Frob is transmitting data over Bluetooth to the cell phone.
And it makes sense, too. IIRC, the OBD RX/TX lights flash in a way
which no one has really seen since dialup modems were miniaturized
from units the size of shoe boxes, to boards hidden in PC system boxes
(and then obsoleted entirely).
Looks to me like the data is most likely ~10KBaud or ~40Kbaud.

BTW, it's a completely different product yet I have complete confidence
that the labeling is the same. All ChiCom technology is stolen from someone else,
but no one lifts a cuticle to change the tech they steal.

There is a big difference between the consumer ODBII scanners and what a shop uses. I use Torque Pro to scan my jeep, but you should see what my son can do with his Snap-On system. I can look at codes and get some info in english, his tells him everything about every computer in the vehicle, gives him diagnostic steps for tracking down the cause, and can control the various systems.
Yahbut with all the pirated repair info online,
I'd invest more than a couple of hours of web surfing
before even paying the stupid expensive prices for Harbor Freight handhelds
(four different models ranging from $50 to $210),
let alone Snap-On pricing.

Example: I ferreted out those 5 LED labels above.
No one in the entire supply chain downstream of the PRC foundry
could have told me what those lights meant if I held a gun to their head.

As long as you're not the poor SOB that is the first one to encounter a problem,
someone else has 27 8"x10" color glossy photos of the solution on the Intarwebs.
And there's always some poor SOB that got scrod before you did...

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have one of these, it was stupid cheap, like under $20.
It's all I need to check a code or shut off the CEL.
I have access to a more sophisticated unit at the shop if I need it, but this is fine for my own purposes.

Reactions: AHM

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
this is what im looking into. Short of getting vehicle specific tools and licensing BS which is slowly getting forced on us.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I have one of these, it was stupid cheap, like under $20.
It's all I need to check a code or shut off the CEL.
I have access to a more sophisticated unit at the shop if I need it, but this is fine for my own purposes.

yeah we use this for the roll ins "can you check my light" imm looking deeper....

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bingo.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Looking for a repair shop level scanner.
We do not get the tool guys coming to the shop anymore and have not seen a snap on rep in 3 years.

Snap On wants nothing to do with you unless your on the hook for $50k at 15%

At this point looks like we will have to get manufacture specific and licensing ?
Or re think our level of repairs we offer.
Sadly I need to work for another 20plus years so I’m trying to make the best of where I am. I will most likely take a hit in pay if I go look for a new job.

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Cummins Insite
Cat ET
Snap-on Solus Edge, for the 1 V10 gas engine we have here.

They use the Nexiq Genisis down the other end of the building.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looking for a repair shop level scanner.
We do not get the tool guys coming to the shop anymore and have not seen a snap on rep in 3 years.

Snap On wants nothing to do with you unless your on the hook for $50k at 15%

At this point looks like we will have to get manufacture specific and licensing ?
Or re think our level of repairs we offer.
Sadly I need to work for another 20plus years so I’m trying to make the best of where I am. I will most likely take a hit in pay if I go look for a new job.
I left the repair business because of this. Spending large amounts of money on new tools was getting insane.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I left the repair business because of this. Spending large amounts of money on new tools was getting insane.
I just dont know what else to do. ? If I could leave tomorrow I would. My own tools are outdated and struggling enough to replace my 30plus year old worn out hand tools. Just sucks.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just dont know what else to do. ? If I could leave tomorrow I would. My own tools are outdated and struggling enough to replace my 30plus year old worn out hand tools. Just sucks.
I got my class one licence in 1978 and never let it go. Worked for a construction company, got my hydraulic licence and that is were I am now.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Its definitely getting harder and harder to make a living as an independent small repair shop these days. It definitely takes a lot to move to the next level, and then the skill to troubleshoot in a timely manner.

I gave it a 3 year attempt in repairs 20ish years ago(not as an owner) with the way my back is now, and arthritis creeping into my hands, I'd be screwed looking for a new career.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Its definitely getting harder and harder to make a living as an independent small repair shop these days. It definitely takes a lot to move to the next level, and then the skill to troubleshoot in a timely manner.

I gave it a 3 year attempt in repairs 20ish years ago(not as an owner) with the way my back is now, and arthritis creeping into my hands, I'd be screwed looking for a new career.
yup thats where Im at

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Same as others have posted, TorquePro with bluetooth adapter from Amazon.
Note: Before ordering one, conduct some research and read user reviews as
there have been complaints in the past of cheap counterfeits.

Since I bought a Rav last year, I've been using Toyota Techstream with a mini VCI cable, and an old
beater laptop (works on Toyota, Lexus and Scion only).
Not only is it good for DTC codes and complete auto analysis, but it can also program the engine control and other modules
(which I stay the f*** away from out of fear of screwing something up I had no business screwing around with [hmmm]).

One thing that came in real handy was being able to program a couple of spare keys.
Bought blank spares with chip on Amazon for $23.00 each.
I recently got a 2010 Highlander and was thinking about Techstream and the mini VCI cables I see on eBay and Amazon but something seems sketchy about them. Any advice on which to get or what to watch out for?

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yup thats where Im at
I hear that

I put in for one of these for the past few years

Been using these for the past 25-

So yea.
Shoulders, hips and knees goin. Scar tissue in the neck. All at the ripe old age of 45.

Ever consider getting into something along the lines of a Ryder/ Budget /Penske truck rental fac as either a tech or service manager?
Parts are a little.............heavier, but you're not having to un-f^&k someone elses backyard nightmare, and they rotate stock every 8-10 years or so.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I hear that

I put in for one of these for the past few years

Been using these for the past 25-

So yea.
Shoulders, hips and knees goin. Scar tissue in the neck. All at the ripe old age of 45.

Ever consider getting into something along the lines of a Ryder/ Budget /Penske truck rental fac as either a tech or service manager?
Parts are a little.............heavier, but you're not having to un-f^&k someone elses backyard nightmare, and they rotate stock every 8-10 years or so.
Not recently, pensky came head hunting about 10 years ago. Guy rubbed me the wrong way and felt what spewed from his lips was just fast talking sales man.
Gave him my needs and he wad 180 out of that.

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Landers I think is hiring at the plymouth or hanover loc.
Friend of mine runs the shop down in Sandwhich. Says they hire voc school kids with zero exp for $25 an hour to start, and they can't even push a broom straight.

Demoman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I went to local 4 as a heavy equipment mechanic way easier than cars far less tools. Again everything is heavier but usually more help and service trucks with cranes. As saying this with 5 bad discs but shoulder and pushing off a double knee replacement. A friend of mine went to Verizon just probably better they supply the. Tools.

84ta406

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I got sick of buying new tools and keeping up with the industry 7 years ago. I made the switch to industrial maintenance for a manufacturing company. Brought what I had for tools with me and then work buys everything else that I don't have and need. They also pay for further training on new machines etc.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I got sick of buying new tools and keeping up with the industry 7 years ago. I made the switch to industrial maintenance for a manufacturing company. Brought what I had for tools with me and then work buys everything else that I don't have and need. They also pay for further training on new machines etc.
I dont even know where to begin , frustrating for sure.

Top Bottom