• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

automatic weapons

I dont really know the laws on if I can own an automatic class 3 weapon in CT. I heard that they wont even ship them to this area and the shortest barrel I can get is a 16 inch. I wanted a 7 inch AR-15 from RRA or a full auto FAL, but dont know if I can in CT. Anyone know if can?

No "citizen" can buy a RRA full auto rifle, they were not built before the 1986 cutoff date.

As far as CT laws I don't know but any FAL or AR would have to have been made before the cutoff date.

You can get a pre-86 MG in CT with appropriate signoffs the
problem is it cannot be select fire.... eg, if it is an M16 or an HK
you have to have the gun screwed up so that the single shot
position cannot be used. It's about the dumbest shit I've ever
seen/heard of in my entire life. (almost as dumb as MA
handgun compliance.... ) I'm not sure what the actual law
is, but people must be "obeying" it for some reason (you see
"special" neutered for CT machineguns on gunbroker and other
places, usually they come with more than one trigger pack or
whatever to restore it to its "normal" configuration. )

-Mike

The RRA with 7" barrel is a no-go as it's classified as an "assault pistol"...

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

Connecticut Firearms Laws

Some of CT's gun-control laws make MA's seem sane by comparison.

If anyone else cares to decipher some of that crap, please do and post your findings here. [thinking]

thanks for the info. So let me see if I got this right. I can get my class 3 and then get a full auto only weapon made before 1986, such as a FAL, but not a SBR FAL 11"? And where can I even buy these automatic weapons, what is a good place to get them.

Given your lack of knowledge about the laws involved, I'm curious whether you understand the cost involved. I haven't seen a select fire FAL sold, but M16s go for $15,000 to $20,000, so I'd expect it's similar.

All you have to do is submit a letter to the Chief of police in your town and get a federal one-time tax stamp($200)for the MG(if approved)...however you CANNOT have any FAL,AK-47,MP-5,UZI etc.in CT. b/c they are on the state ban list!I would suggest an AR-15 or an M-14 but YOU WILL pay dearly! LOGINNAME is right,the weapon cofiguration must still meet all AR-15 state laws unless it is pre-ban.You do also have to apply for a tax stamp for EVERY class 3 weapon as there is no "license".[smile]

I dont really know the laws on if I can own an automatic class 3 weapon in CT. I heard that they wont even ship them to this area and the shortest barrel I can get is a 16 inch. I wanted a 7 inch AR-15 from RRA or a full auto FAL, but dont know if I can in CT. Anyone know if can?

You can buy any type of full auto you like, you pay the federal tax stamp, it has to be full auto only in CT no semi auto.

You can have any length barrel on a rifle you like if you SBR the receiver, again another $200 tax stamp per lower. If you want an AR, you should invest in a preban lower to work with, that way you can have all the evil features.

You can own suppressors in CT, $200 tax stamp per can.

You can't own any of the firearms listed on the state's list in semi auto mode but there are no restrictions on owning a full auto ak47 as long as it is full auto only.

I'm not sure you would really want a full auto FAL, have you seen what 308 ammo goes for these days? Givien that all AR type full autos were made prior to 1986, all would be considered preban in CT so you could SBR them if you choose too. That would be ok with the AR as the lower is the regsitered part, doing so with an FAL is a different matter as it is the upper receiver that is registered.

A lot of people go with the Mac 10/11 in CT as you can get all sorts of addons like 22 upper kits for them.

If you need more advice on a specific type of class III firearm send an email to Joel Cramer at http://www.remarcablearms.com/

The $200 tax stamp is something that I think will be addressed in the future and I wonder how many people would buy class III products if the tax was $1000.

John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom