• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

auto ordnance 1911

So I bought my 1st 1911 its a auto ordnance 1911 i got it from the Wilmington gun and knife show for $250 so I couldn't pass it up.But after searching here and google it looks like I could have a problem with the quality (which I figured cause it was so cheap) I was just wondering if anything broke/poor quality could I replace it with good after market parts or am I stuck just sending it back to the factory only to have crappy used parts replaced by crappy new parts?

Not sure who/were it was made I have to wait to pick it up cause I get delayed anytime I buy a firearm.So its just like the AR platform and parts made for a 1911 will fit despite the guns coming from a different manufacturer like colt,smith&wesson etc..

Last edited:
I've had one for a while now and it shoots like a champ. It's not flashy (WWII throwback design and parkarized) but that's why I got mine. The sights are plain (no dots - which could be an issue for some) but it is still a good gun to point and click. The parts are interchangeable, so if you have an issue it should be no sweat to replace one of them. Make you check it out thouroughly and I hope it works well for you.

The ones made by Kahr are pretty decent. The ones made by the old Auto Ordnance in West Hurley, New York are known for poor quality control. I own a Worcester made one, and it is a decent shooter, more accurate than most GI Issue 1911's that I have shot. I have stuck to hardball and sometimes experience a failure to feed which I attribute to some of the GI issue magazines that are on permanent loan to me from the Army.

Wait and see, and if it isn't so good, for 250 bucks you did okay and there are enough parts around that you can replace the parts and turn it into a project gun over time which is very good way to learn how your 1911 really works.

This is my AO 1911.

muttafter.jpg

Ok, Ok.... I kid! Well, the FRAME is from an AO 1911.

My guess is that the previous owner thought the rest of a gun was a piece of garbage so he threw that all away and built this gun off the frame...

So far the frame has held up really well. [laugh]

-Mike

$250? Boy I missed that one.
Sounds too cheap.
Hope it works out for you.
DOWNWIND

Ya i got there 1st thing in the morning all the others i saw were 350-500 range then i saw this one and figured why not its cheap enough to take a risk on.

Not sure who/were it was made I have to wait to pick it up cause I get delayed anytime I buy a firearm.So its just like the AR platform and parts made for a 1911 will fit despite the guns coming from a different manufacturer like colt,smith&wesson etc..

Might want to look into getting a UPIN so that doesn't happen any more. I bet there is someone with the same name that has had a few "issues" in the past and is causing you to get delayed while they double & triple check you.

It was made in West Hurley N.Y. and im defiantly going to get a UPIN cause it sucks buying the gun then having to wait 3-5 days to pick it up every time.

NY made AOs have a terrible reputation...for a reason. I wouldn't touch one with a 10 ft pole... specially if this is your first 1911. I hope it works out for you and it proves to be a trouble free gun.

Numrich made the West Hurley guns. They would take whatever parts in the warehouse to build them. Keeping my fingers crossed you got a good one. But hey it's a 1911 if the frame is good the everything else can be changed if needed.
[/U]

Well brought it to the range and its shooting low i aim at the center of the target from 10yds away and it hits about 6 inches at the 6 o clock position nice groups but again about 6 inches low.When i picked it up at the shop the guy working there said it used to be his and it shot low for him and he thought it might need a new bushing.I also gave it to 2 of my friends to try and rule out shooters error and it was doing the same for them..I was looking at maybe this kit http://www.midwayusa.com/product/382006/cylinder-and-slide-tactical-2-match-trigger-pull-5-piece-set-1911-government-commander-4-lb-stainless-steel with this trigger http://www.midwayusa.com/product/392971/nighthawk-custom-match-trigger-1911-aluminum-silver and probably a new barrel and bushing cause the barrel looks kinda beat up on it now so whats a good barrel and bushing to get?

Last edited:
Well brought it to the range and its shooting low i aim at the center of the target from 10yds away and it hits about 6 inches at the 6 o clock position nice groups but again about 6 inches low.When i picked it up at the shop the guy working there said it used to be his and it shot low for him and he thought it might need a new bushing.I also gave it to 2 of my friends to try and rule out shooters error and it was doing the same for them.Sense this is my 1st 1911 what do you guys suggest i do i have no problems replacing parts i figured when i bought it even if i had to put a few hundred into it it would still be cheaper then a brand new 1911.

If the only problem is that the gun is shooting low, wouldn't new sights fix the issue?

This brings up the question I'm also interested in: What's involved in upgrading the GI sights on a vintage style 1911 like the Auto Ordnance? Fixed front sight, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, any competent gunsmith should be able to pin a new front sight on a 1911 slide. It's really no big deal. Not infrequently the rear sight needs to be milled open a little more to accommodate a new rear aftermarket sight, and sometimes not, it depends on the type of aftermarket rear sight selected.

My bad i forgot about sights any buddy recommend good night sights?

Just use the "old school" method.........file down the top of the front sight and touch-up with cold blue. [wink]
This will bring your groups up.
Just go a little at a time until it hits where your aiming. [smile]

So should i buy sights like the novak tritium night sights then bring my slide and sights to a smith or go in with my slide and ask what sights he can fit on?

There are basically three types of sight cuts on 1911's: Standard dovetail which is the GI type and there are very few aftermarket sights available other than the basic GI style small notch. Bomar Cut, these are generally used for the higher end fully adjustable target sights. Novak cut, these are used for the better sometimes adjustable defense type sights including night sights etc....You can just take your slide to any competent gunny and say I want a Novak cut and then you can use any Novak style sights out there. Is it better to bring your sights in for fitting..maybe but not really necessary as these are all standard "cuts"

Back
Top Bottom