• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Auto ordnance 1911

jhagberg88

NES Member
I have an auto ordnance 1911, just bought new wood grips for it. Having trouble getting the screws out of the originals, any suggestions?

If you suspect there is a drop of loctite on the screws a small soldering iron can be used to apply heat the the head of the screw for a minute to soften it up enough to get them out

I don't know anything about AO .45 grip mounting procedures.

However, whenever you have a tight screw that needs to be loosened without burring it up when the screwdriver cams out of the slot, here is what I do:

Clamp whatever device the screw is in (the "substrate") in a rubber-jawed drill press vise.

Find a screwdriver bit that just exactly fits the slot. Doesn't hurt if it needs a wee bit of persuasion to get seated in the slot (but it must be fully seated).

Chuck the bit in a drill press. Be sure the cord is unplugged.

Insert a rod into the hole in the chuck that is used for tightening the chuck, bear down on the bit with the rack, and work the bit (via the rod) until the screw starts backing out.

Pressure on the bit via the rack allows you to put far more torque on the bit without camming than you could ever do manually.

Hmmm...I have the AO WWII Repro 1911A1, no trouble taking the grips off though... did you buy it new or used? if you bought it new try spraying it down good with some CLP, I don't think AO puts loctite on their guns, it may just be really grimy in the grip area

Back
Top Bottom