• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Auto ordinance m-1 carbine

Auto Ordinance used to be owned by the same people who owned Numrich Arms, and the factory used to be just down the road from me in West Hurley NY.

Several years ago the brand was sold to Kahr and the production is now being handled somewhere else.

John Farnam of DTI published a very negative report on the Kahr/Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine.

John Farnam's Quips - 09Mar05

Kahr M1 Carbine, a disappointment.

Kahr Arms produces a wonderful line of small, concealment pistols. I own and
carry several regularly and recommend them. Quality has been good, and
customer service has always been excellent. At last year's SHOT Show, Kahr
expanded its line and introduced its new M1 Carbine.

We've had several Kahr M1 Carbines in classes now, and they have, without
exception, been undependable. In some cases, unserviceable. I really wanted to like this gun, but I can't. Kahr has always been nice to me, and I wanted to return the favor and recommend this rifle, but I can't.

Based on my experience, I don't recommend it. Kahr needs either to drop the item from their catalog or upgrade quality control to the point where the rifle is acceptable.

Unreliable rifles have been returned multiple times to Kahr, and even they
can't seem to get them running right. Customer service is good, but the end
product is still unacceptable.

I like the M1 Carbine. I own several, and I think they make ideal "car guns".

With the imminent introduction of Cor-Bon's DPX ammunition in 30M1, this
rifle will become vastly more toxic and useful than it is now. We were really
hoping Kahr would step up to the plate and be a good and reliable source, but
it is apparently not to be.

/John

Copyright © 2005 by DTI, Inc. All rights reserved.

John's observations are online at his website and are every bit as interesting and useful as the info to be gleaned from "Cooper's Commentaries".

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/quips.html

Regards
John

Sorry to read the M1 review. I was hoping that it would have been good.

The Thomson is off topic from the original post but I will say that I have one and it's beautifully made and finished. The blueing is so good, I almost hate to shoot it.

Here's a lousy pic:

tommy2.jpg

Dirigo said:
http://www.sksboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2823&highlight=thompson

Farnam reported similar problems with an Auto Ordinance Tommy Gun at one of his Defensive Rifle courses. They weren't able to fire 5 rounds without a malfunction, even with several magazines available.

I think thye must have different factories for the Kahr and Auto Ordinance lines. It's hard to believe theyre having these kind of quality control issues from the SAME factory that builds the Kahrs, which are great.

Regards
John

Are those Thompson's easy to get ahold of, and how much do they run?

I think they'd make one HELL of a home-defence carbine!

-Weer'd Beard

PS: plus they're effing cool!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

My only run-in with an AO M-1 Carbine was at the Ware Gun Shop, where they had a brand new one on the rack a couple of years ago. I picked it up, tried to check out the sights, and couldn't! The upper handguard was so out-of-spec, it blocked the view of the front sight!

I put it down. let the guy behind the counter know about it, then scooted over to the Big E gun show and bought a REAL M-1 Carbine (USGI) from a well-known dealer - Charles Hadley of South Portland. Mr. Hadley is a terrific source of information; if you have any questions at all about carbines, he's the one to talk to. His phone # is (207) 741-2655. Give him a call, but be prepared to be on the phone for some time!

Also, here is a link to one of my favorite carbine forums, and a thread that references Mr. Hadley:

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=111275&highlight=charles+hadley#111275

Good Luck!

KK

Back
Top Bottom