• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Auto ordinance 1911

This is my buddy's AO 1911. Given the relative thickness of the 45 acp rim, this looks like way too much clearance from the extractor to the breech face. What do you guys think? Adjustable or needs a new extractor?

This gun is 5 or so years old. He never got to enjoy it, because it never worked right and he never sent it in.
nuhabuby.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1381873747552.jpg

Mine does have a gap. Since it is controlled round feed and the case has to slip up under the extractor when feeding, I think there has to be a gap there. But I am no 1911 expert. My AO 1911 had too much extractor tension to where it would jam feeding the first round, a little tweaking and it was running good.

What doesn't work right about it?

It doesn't extract. It slips quite a bit. Once in awhile he said that it might cycle a couple rounds, but I found a hunk of crap inside the claw, and when I picked that out, it wont even pull a chambered dummy round out most of the time. ( A dummy I made, not an aluminum dummy you buy )
There is no tension. It will not hold a round freely with the slide off.

I am just wondering if this is too far gone to adjust. The total gap is about .080 to .090 wide, minus the rim which is .039-.049 from the spec.

Extractor tension is the problem if it cant even hold a round. I would take it out and tweak it. Ideally you really want to adjust it in an extractor vise, however you can get buy without one. Judging by how far off yours seems I don't think you have much to lose by trying it. Have you removed the extractor, how does it look? If you go with a new extractor you should have a gunsmith fit it.

I adjusted his existing extractor and after several light adjustments, I got it to hold a round and eject dummies no problem. I will fire it tomorrow afternoon to test it. I found something online with a dimension that would show it can certainly be that far of a gap. Although his gun still seems a little bigger.

AO is not the AO of WW2 fame. The piece is made in the Philippines and most of them look like they use a fingernail file to fit the small pieces. The extractor is a key element in 1911 function. I would get a proper length extractor. Now that does not mean that your slide is in spec, but it is a starting point. You might consider an EGW extractor.

AO is not the AO of WW2 fame. The piece is made in the Philippines and most of them look like they use a fingernail file to fit the small pieces. The extractor is a key element in 1911 function. I would get a proper length extractor. Now that does not mean that your slide is in spec, but it is a starting point. You might consider an EGW extractor.

I was under the impression that Kahr bought AO in 1999 and manufactures the 1911 here in MA. I think you may be referring to Rock Island Armory that manufactures 1911's in the Phillipines.

I was under the impression that Kahr bought AO in 1999 and manufactures the 1911 here in MA. I think you may be referring to Rock Island Armory that manufactures 1911's in the Phillipines.

They are made in Worcester, Mass. The earlier ones were not very good quality but Kahr definitely turned things around. Maybe he was thinking para ordinance?

You sure about being made in Mass. Maybe final assembly is in Mass, but they are cast offshore. Remsports does the same thing, made in Korea. A few final cuts and pinholes just to get made in the USA on the side.

This is my buddy's AO 1911. Given the relative thickness of the 45 acp rim, this looks like way too much clearance from the extractor to the breech face. What do you guys think? Adjustable or needs a new extractor?

.075" is optimum for .45 ACP, .070" for .40, and .065" for Super.

I adjusted the extractor. Took several tries to get it to hold a round. It cycles dummies perfect. So I went and shot 3 mags of 230gr WWB flawlessly. Standard cheap mags, nothing special.

My buddy is very happy.

Back
Top Bottom