1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Auto insurance adjuster

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 84ta406, Feb 26, 2019.

1. 84ta406

84ta406 Dealer NES Member

Hey I was wondering if anyone on here is a insurance adjuster here in MA. I was in a accident almost two weeks ago and the insurance company is dicking me around on a value. I was curious what my actual rights are etc. Feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you

2. chrbla2000

chrbla2000 NES Member

I'm not an adjuster or a lawyer, but, my kids were in a car accident recently (they're OK) and I thought for sure the car would be totaled. What I learned is that 'totaled' means it will cost more to fix than replace at fair market value. So, look at KBB, look on Autotrader, etc, and put in the exact make and model with similar miles and figure out what it would cost to buy that vehicle today, that's the value the repairs would have to exceed to total it and the 'total' value you'd be due from the insurance company minus your deductible.

Hope that helps.

-chris

3. 84ta406

It's totaled, not sure why as the value is much greater than even half the cost to repair but regardless. They value the vehicle at 9100, NADA is 13.3k supposedly and I can't even find a semi comparable vehicle for less than 15.5 with most being in the 16-17k range.

4. zboys

zboys NES Member

Not True

5. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

You never come out on top. Let's say you get hit and your car has $5000.00 worth of damage. It was the other guy's fault and his insurance company paid the 5K for repairs. Your car looks good as new so you are made whole, right? Wrong. When you go to sell your car it is now worth less than it would have been worth if it had never been in an accident.

HarryPottar and PennyPincher like this.
  6. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

7. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Value is determined by CMR 211 133.05

Retail book value

unrelated Damage that depreciates the value, as noted by the appraiser at the time of inspection. ( and even then I only take a percentage of that, never full value)

Things you have done to improve the value ( fresh tires, low miles, excellent condition, etc)

Comparable vehicles CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR SALE in your area.

Many companies use a service called CCC Valuscope

I have never found their methodology to be ethical or legal, and it is ALWAYS too low.

Ask the insurance company HOW they determined the value.

once they give you some BS excuse, remind them of CMR 211 133.05, and that they are in violation of MA law.

Now back to CCC..... If the Insurance company says that is what they used ( and that is a violation as all 4 above have to be used) insist on a copy of the report.

When you get it look at everything and object to things you disagree with

THEN look at the cars they are using, and IMHO the law says "vehicles currently available for sale".

Call every dealer where they say the car is and ask if it is still for sale, or look on their website.

If it is not available for sale, IMHO it can not be used as a comp or used to establish value. Tell the Insurance company it is not an available vehicle and can not be used.

Remember you have the right to invoke arbitration. That costs them money to hire an outside appraiser. You will need one too.

The reality is Actual Cash Value is somewhere between NADA clean trade and clean retail, plus 6.25% for sales tax reimbursement.

Care to divulge the Insurance company ?

Gator9329 and qqac like this.
  8. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

a friend once told me she fought the insurance companies "value" by printing out a list of ads for the vehicle she owned. detail descriptions are great. today's VIN websites help you do direct comparisons. there is a "direct" compensation number for mileage adjustments. good luck

9. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Cars are generally totaled by insurance carriers if repairs exceed 80% of the vehicle's value due to the frequency of hidden damage and post-appraisal adjustments to the repair bill.

10. vario

vario NES Member

Every company uses a different formula, and its against the law in mass to use a percentage as a basis to total a vehicle.
    I recently saw an offer from an insurance company on a total vehicle, and they used in no particular order, Nada, CCC, Truecar, Craigslist, and several dealership ads showing the vehicle in question.
    If the repair cost, and the salvage value equal or exceed the book value of the vehicle, it can be deemed a total loss.

11. BigTimber

BigTimber NES Member

Insurance company’s are the scum of the earth. I’ve had to deal with a few for customers and have been floored every time by the low life’s and the shit that try to pull. I don’t know how some of their people make it home at the end of the day.

12. 84ta406

It's liberty mutual and they did indeed use CCC. I told them after reviewing the report that I found inaccuracies and they didn't seem to care. The only thing they cared about was the modifications I did to the vehicle, which they did grant me another $1000. I'm just so far below what they're selling for it makes no sense. I can send you the reports if you would like and you can give me your thoughts. The valuation report from CCC came up with 9100 which baffles me because you can not find any for sale that cheap. She sent me a link to carguru to show comparables and her search was wrong. I filtered it down to the proper vehicle and it was showing sale prices of 16-17k.

13. 84ta406

I tried that and the woman I'm dealing with didn't seem to care one bit. She said they're paying NADA value and that's it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  14. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

Watch the fine print in used car ads some used car dealers advertise a car price and in small letters they say that the price is the starting point then any repairs, cleaning, profit, prep work is added on. The fine print is deliberately written in a confusing way to get you in the door.

15. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I recall reading many years ago that you could DEMAND that they replace the vehicle with a like vehicle with like mileage/condition. Might be worth checking to see if that is indeed true.

Another option is if they are violating the CMR . . . contact the AG's Insurance Division and file a complaint. Insurance companies HATE that and will likely back down and do the right thing when threatened with that (in writing) or once an investigator contacts them. I've filed complaints in the past and it got action, but that was 20+ yrs ago.

16. Nhusa

Nhusa

Tell them that your neck and back(side) are beginning to hurt and you have to take time off from work to see Dr. Quick Quack.
    It will be the truth because they are a pita and pain in the neck.
    It will either piss them off or get them moving.

17. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Is the car in a tow yard rolling up storage at $35.00 /day?

DO NOT let them take the car or give them the title.

If they took the car, tell them to bring it back UNDAMAGED at their expense from Co-Part picking it up with a fork truck.

Tell them it is unacceptable, and that you will be hiring your own appraiser to do binding arbitration.

File a complaint with the Insurance commissioner and the Auto Appraiser licensing board, for violation of 211/133/05

Where is the car located?

Gator9329 and vicorjh like this.
  18. 84ta406

The car is actually still at the body shop. I haven't gone down there to clean it out of my personal belongings or sign anything. I've made it abundantly clear I won't be signing anything over until we have a mutually agreed upon value.

drgrant likes this.
  19. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Perfect. You have more bargaining leverage when its collecting storage fees.

20. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

It is costing them at least $35 a day to have it sit at the body shop

If the shop is not a licensed tow company, they are not bound by the $35.00/day figure set by the DPU

We LOVED total losses that sat at our shop for weeks on end.... we made more on the storage than we would have made fixing it.

21. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

If you want to PM me the VIN I'll see what the CCC software ( different from the CCC Valuescope ) says it is worth

22. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Be careful, when we had a car fire, Travelers Insurance took the car from the tow company and actually sold it at auction before we had a settled figure. This was in 1979 and to this day, I still have the title to that car. When I went to the tow yard to take some pictures, I found out that it wasn't there. Tow yard owner was apologetic and thought that I had given the insurance company permission to take the car . . . tow yard owner was a friend and we used to shoot skeet/trap together weekly back then.

23. jaymce

jaymce

Print out those vehicles and point out that they are comps.
    Do not threaten arbitration or legal action, unless you feel all options have been exhausted, as it may change the way the insurance company deals with you on this issue.
    I had an ins co calling a 58 Olds Holiday hot rod an Olds 98. Big difference as one is very available and one is not. They ended up doubling their offer to the customer and he retained ownership.

24. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

The woman you are dealing with is a c*nt and is doing her sh*tty job. Her job is to lowball every single customer.

Remember, the insurance company IS NOT your friend. The insurance company IS a business and as such wants to make a profit.

Fight them and dont settle until you get what the replacement costs.

Also, what insurance company are you working with?

25. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Liberty Mutual used to be a great company, but in the past few years something changed. I have been recommending everyone to leave that POS company.

I recently left them after they tried to f*** with me for no reason. I asked them if I could get a discount if I paid upfront. They said sure, a 10% discount. I asked to pay upfront and they said I couldn't because it needs to be a new policy.
    I told them to cancel my policy, re-open a new one and everyone would be happy (I first asked if that was a work around they could work with, and they said "yes"). They do that, and say "oh sir, your insurance just increased $3K"....Yes 3K!!

I told them to leave my policy as is and not make any changes.

Went to Plymouth Rock and got the same coverage for over $500 less than what Liberty was charging me orginally (before tey tried to nail me for $3K more).

I then told my parents to move their 3 cars and my brother to move his 2 cars.

84ta406 likes this.
  26. abundigas

abundigas NES Member

27. 84ta406

abundigas likes this.
  28. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

Liberty Mutual is currently the worst of the worst.