• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Authorities: Hofstra student was killed by police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

NES Member
Wow.

Authorities: Hofstra student was killed by police

My first thought:

Speed_shoot_the_hostage.jpg

Last edited:
"
  1. Positively identify your target and the threat it poses before firing at it.
  2. What's behind your target? Always make sure that a stray shot, or a bullet which penetrates its intended target through and through, will be safely stopped. "

[thinking]

Only the Police should have guns. Side note: the criminal was out on parole...but liberals think we need more gun laws.

To be fair - they need to let all of the Murders, Rapists and Burglars out of prison to free up space for all the evil people with too many bullets in their guns, or that own an evil looking gun with dangerous collapsible stocks, flash suppressors and bayonet lugs.

all kinds of awful

Junior public relations major Andrea Rebello was shot once in the head early Friday morning by an officer who opened fire after the masked intruder pointed a gun at the officer while holding the 21-year-old in a headlock, Nassau County homicide squad Lt. John Azzata said.

Azzata said the Nassau County police officer fired eight shots at Smith, who police described as having an "extensive" criminal background. Smith was hit by seven times and died. Rebello was shot once in the head.

To be fair - they need to let all of the Murders, Rapists and Burglars out of prison to free up space for all the evil people with too many bullets in their guns, or that own an evil looking gun with dangerous collapsible stocks, flash suppressors and bayonet lugs.

Because we all know how many robberies and murders are committed with a bayonet.[rofl] Prime example of MA's full-retard gun legislation

Too easy to Monday morning quarterback and a possible sub-set in a change of tactics by the police with the new "active shooter" doctrine. Old practice was to contain until SWAT and hostage negotiators could arrive. New doctrine is to engage with whatever you've got. The variable here was whether or not he had the option of standing down, and if he had stood down if there was any guarantee if the hostage wouldn't have been killed by the perp. That cop was in a bad spot in one of the worst scenarios imaginable and there is no correct answer. If he had not hit the hostage, he would have been a hero. To pull off a shot like that requires either great skill with lots of practice, or pure dumb luck. If he couldn't stand down and wait for the cavalry, he had to do something. Remember that this is happening on seconds and the targets are not stationary. The perp has some degree of mobility in moving the hostage.

So before there is a rush to judgement stop and reflect that this is something that this cop is going to have to live with for the rest of his life. I won't blame the victims, but keep your doors locked at all times. We see here too how the New York gun laws are so effective, It sure kept the bad guy from having a gun didn't it ? Maybe if there had been a gun in the house, things would have been different. So many variables, so little time to react. Most of you have never nor will ever find yourself in this kind of situation. This could turn into a "bash the cops" thread and that IBTL crap has already started, but even though a bad guy was permanently eliminated, nobody won this time out. I feel badly for both the family of the victim and the cop whose life is changed forever and for his family too, and suspect too that we will see more of these incidents as the new "active shooter doctrine" is promulgated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must suck to be that officer right now, just a terrible situation to be in. I am curious to see what happens with the officer. No doubt if it had been a CCW holder who pulled the trigger he'd probably be going to jail for a while.

Last edited:
Tragic for all parties.

Smith had what police described as "an extensive criminal history," which included arrests for robbery in the first degree in 1999, promoting prison contraband in the second degree in 2000, robbery in the first degree in 2003, assault in the second degree in 2003 and robbery in the second degree in 2003.

A loaded 9 mm handgun with a serial number scratched off was found at the scene, police said.

Perhaps Mikey Bloomberg should focus his efforts on keeping these people off the streets, not the lab-abiding gun owner.

I think that maybe the cops need to practice a weee bit more, they seem to spray bullets in every direction way too often.
I hope that I never have to trust a cop's shooting ability that's for sure.
Unless that girl was physically bigger than the perp and hiding his whole body, then the cop shouldn't have gone for a head shot.

The truly sad lesson in this case is the fact that an individual with an extensive criminal history was back on the street at all. It shows just how bad our entire system has devolved.

Not a good situation to be in. Had to make a split second choice. Hesitate and maybe he is dead and the girl too. Took the shot and unfortunately missed target with 1 shot. Sad all the way around.

The truly sad lesson in this case is the fact that an individual with an extensive criminal history was back on the street at all. It shows just how bad our entire system has devolved.
Yes, we are writing laws to criminalize people who would never do anything to harm someone else while releasing people we know have every intention of doing so on purpose.

He should have never taken that shot! Or the 7 succeeding ones. Tough situation for sure but not a tough call. If someone had your loved one in a headlock with a gun, would you trust yourself to fire off 8 rounds under extreme stress and expect them all to hit the intended target in a small area of diameter? How many can actually say they can do that 100% on a 8'' paper target under no stress?

He should have never taken that shot! Or the 7 succeeding ones. Tough situation for sure but not a tough call. If someone had your loved one in a headlock with a gun, would you trust yourself to fire off 8 rounds under extreme stress and expect them all to hit the intended target in a small area of diameter? How many can actually say they can do that 100% on a 8'' paper target under no stress?

As someone else said, it's hard to Monday morning quarterback it, but I tend to agree. It would seem that backing off may have at least temporarily de-escalated the situation. By getting into a face-to-face standoff the police left no options left. If they had backed off/out of the room, they may have been able to flank him or stall until backup arrived.

I have a lot of sympathy for the cop though. Even if the shoot is found to be good, this is something that would haunt me for the rest of my potentially short life.

A true no win scenario. I feel for the cop and the family of the girl.
If anyone's to blame ,it's the asshats that let this F***er out on the streets.
How many times do we read or hear the words "Long criminal history" when this stuff happens.
Hell 3 life sentances isn't enough to keep you locked up in this state. Ask the family of the Woburn cop.

We had that exact scenario in a video training exercise except the hostage was a man in an office. You come on the scene and the perp has his left arm around the neck of the hostage and in his right hand is a Glock pointing at the hostage's head. What can you do? You point your gun at the perp and yell; "Drop your gun!" The perp has three choices; drop his gun and give up, say that if you don't leave he will shoot the hostage, or try to shoot you. In our scenario, the choice he made was to point at us. If you hesitate you are dead. We immediately took the shot and the blood spatter on the wall behind the perp was very satisfying. Too bad it didn't turn out that way for this cop. It is a really tough situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom