Australians With 3D Printers Turning To Disposable Barrels

The best part about 3D printing is the maker community. It's to the point that there are 3D printers that have many 3D printed parts. That means if there is 1 3D printer out there, it will never end. Firmware and slicers and everywhere online. Microcomputers like Raspberry PI and Adruino are ubiquitous. The rest (steppers, guide rods, pulleys) are cheap and easily obtained (ie. not rare or specialized). You can then ask anyone with a printer to help out with the rest of the assembly parts like gears, joints, frames, etc. Anyone even remotely mechanically inclined can build one now.

is good progress, but back in USSR, in my factory town we had no shortage of access to any metal making equipment or materials. In fact it would take less time for a person to get comfy turning barrels than printing parts on a 3d printer (many of which are still kind of raw on calibration and support, never mind that a lot of STL files floating around are downright crap) Here are a couple of real dangers that we see here repeating:

1. Access to information. Yes, there is info and plenty of it, but most of it is crap, garbage that would get you injured sooner than be effective against someone else. As soon as you start to seek out the right information and "experimenting", there will be comrades "investigating" you and your intent. This is already happening. Not so much with firearms, but bigger "devices" 100%, people would rat you out, we have big enough domestic "terror" apparatus that takes priority to investigate its own citizens more than foreign spies.

2. Mentality. Government is no longer by the people, it's its own, living entity that tries to protect itself from actual honest elections and change to its corrupt schemes. This focuses on brainwashing people that elections are legit and you actually have a voice. I shit you not, even at the height of USSR, you can register your own party and have people "vote" for it. Of course you'll have no chance in hell and eventually you'll end up committed into a phsych ward, which would make sure that you ARE crazy. But the bottom line, any doubts of legitimacy of the commie government were swiftly dealt with total ridicule, alienation from society/cancellation, dismissal from work ... rings any bells with today's climate?

I can see that more makers are getting into verifying online anonymous identities and trying to streamline building into a more reliable process, and unfortunately they are being hounded and threatened by the state for it. The second issue, you can't print your way out of that, there are changes to American way of life and turning further into police state without alternatives or representation.

is good progress, but back in USSR, in my factory town we had no shortage of access to any metal making equipment or materials. In fact it would take less time for a person to get comfy turning barrels than printing parts on a 3d printer (many of which are still kind of raw on calibration and support, never mind that a lot of STL files floating around are downright crap) Here are a couple of real dangers that we see here repeating:

1. Access to information. Yes, there is info and plenty of it, but most of it is crap, garbage that would get you injured sooner than be effective against someone else. As soon as you start to seek out the right information and "experimenting", there will be comrades "investigating" you and your intent. This is already happening. Not so much with firearms, but bigger "devices" 100%, people would rat you out, we have big enough domestic "terror" apparatus that takes priority to investigate its own citizens more than foreign spies.

2. Mentality. Government is no longer by the people, it's its own, living entity that tries to protect itself from actual honest elections and change to its corrupt schemes. This focuses on brainwashing people that elections are legit and you actually have a voice. I shit you not, even at the height of USSR, you can register your own party and have people "vote" for it. Of course you'll have no chance in hell and eventually you'll end up committed into a phsych ward, which would make sure that you ARE crazy. But the bottom line, any doubts of legitimacy of the commie government were swiftly dealt with total ridicule, alienation from society/cancellation, dismissal from work ... rings any bells with today's climate?

I can see that more makers are getting into verifying online anonymous identities and trying to streamline building into a more reliable process, and unfortunately they are being hounded and threatened by the state for it. The second issue, you can't print your way out of that, there are changes to American way of life and turning further into police state without alternatives or representation.

Yes, there are other methods, some of which might be faster, more reliable, and overall just better. But I don't have access to a machine shop. I also don't have machining skills (yet). I do have background in programming and find calibrating 3D printers rather easy. So we all play to our strengths. I'd love to learn machining, forging, and the like. It's just not feasible for me currently. One day...

But being watched is probably a real concern. There are certain actions one can do it help maintain anonymity, but nothing is fool proof. That said, I have nothing to hide personally. I just don't like the notion of big brother.

Yes, there are other methods, some of which might be faster, more reliable, and overall just better. But I don't have access to a machine shop. I also don't have machining skills (yet). I do have background in programming and find calibrating 3D printers rather easy. So we all play to our strengths. I'd love to learn machining, forging, and the like. It's just not feasible for me currently. One day...

But being watched is probably a real concern. There are certain actions one can do it help maintain anonymity, but nothing is fool proof. That said, I have nothing to hide personally. I just don't like the notion of big brother.
skipping machining, zip guns and slamfire shotguns require none of that. there are benefits to printing and the genie's not going back in the bottle. But a hand drill and some black pipe will make you a field-expedient firearm.

skipping machining, zip guns and slamfire shotguns require none of that. there are benefits to printing and the genie's not going back in the bottle. But a hand drill and some black pipe will make you a field-expedient firearm.
There’s a whole article in one of the recent Recoil magazine issues going step by step how to make one.

The best part about 3D printing is the maker community. It's to the point that there are 3D printers that have many 3D printed parts. That means if there is 1 3D printer out there, it will never end. Firmware and slicers and everywhere online. Microcomputers like Raspberry PI and Adruino are ubiquitous. The rest (steppers, guide rods, pulleys) are cheap and easily obtained (ie. not rare or specialized). You can then ask anyone with a printer to help out with the rest of the assembly parts like gears, joints, frames, etc. Anyone even remotely mechanically inclined can build one now.

that will be a movie someday - the hunt for the last printer

They will never get the toothpaste back into the tube.

With modern tools and 3D printers, there is no way to stop the home manufacturing of guns.

They were make such hundreds of years ago using tools we'd be embarrassed to own today.

An AVERAGE home workshop is capable of doing amazing work with the application of some skill and learning

What the gun banners don’t want to acknowledge is that, unlike 1994, if they ban ARs (or all detachable magazine semi-autos) they will just create a huge market for “bootleg” guns. Then the drug cartels will find it well worth their while to invest a couple of hundred thousand dollars in CNC machines to set up AR factories in the jungles of Mexico to supply themselves and others with AR class weapons. If you think bootlegging was pervasive during prohibition, just imagine what it will be like if the .gov tries to ban something that even the Constitution considers a basic right.

Yeah but then guess what...

People will create plans to make 3D printers from parts.

This will be a cat and mouse game forever.

Nobody can stop this.

Yeah, and are they going to make me register my router and drill press ? Haha, good luck with that.

Bingo.
Maybe not the exact design he used but close enough. He first built it out of mdf then used it to cut parts out of higher quality plywood.
With patience he could use the plywood model to build it again using hardwood or a soft metal and continue the process until he has a CNC machine that can work on steel.

With patience he could use the plywood model to build it again using hardwood or a soft metal and continue the process until he has a CNC machine that can work on steel.

Cat isn't even the same zipcode as the bag - with the ease of adapting to computer control the speed to precision is so short control is impossible.

There are many ways. Given a hi-speed press and progressive dies you can blank and form over 1000 sheet metal frame halves per hour. Jack.
BTW, has anyone ever pointed out that Sky's expertise in high voltage engineering
means that he could literally homebrew a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

@Skysoldier

Cat isn't even the same zipcode as the bag - with the ease of adapting to computer control the speed to precision is so short control is impossible.

I have that whole series. I've not made the equipment though.

I built an anet a8 and have the components to build an aluminum framed version. Except for a few parts I have to print on the a8.

Back
Top Bottom