• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Australian Cattle Dog

Hi all, I'm looking for a cattle dog. Preferably looking for an adult female under 2 years old. I'd consider a puppy if we weren't buried under 5' of snow. If I can't find what I'm looking for I'd be open to a puppy.

My goal is to eventually turn her into a Therapy dog. If anyone knows of any please let me know! Thanks!

Seems extremely high energy for therapy dog...

Honestly, I don't know enough about therapy dogs, but I do know something about high energy herding dogs and people in need of therapy dogs and I am not seeing how the two meet in a mutually beneficial way?

These are the sort of dogs that go a little crazy if they don't run a few miles every day. They are happy to snuggle, but only after you run them into the ground with exercise.

I, too, would like to know your reasons for selecting a dog of that breed. They are extremely high-strung and can get possessive and, after about 4 years old, they begin to really feel the need to herd things. I've got an Australian Retriever, which is a cross between an Australian Shepard and Golden Retriever, a recognized breed anymore. She's got the extreme smarts of the Aussie but the talents and desires of a Golden. Second one I've had living with us and they are excellent therapy dogs, imho, if you're looking for something a bit different. Working dogs just love to work and live for it. I had an English Setter, a breed I had a lot of experience with. After a few years, all he wanted to do was hunt to the exclusion of literally everything else. Not a really fun family dog but really pretty. The Aussie/Retriever, otoh, is a family dog AND outdoor dog.

Border collie is one of the breeds that make up the ACD.
Yes typically high energy. My 8 YO male can be be very docile or exited depending mostly on my mannerisms. If you read up on them you'll find they adapt very well to a urban home type pet. Super intelligent. I can easily see the right dog making a good therapy dog. I'm Looking for a new CD as well. Really been looking into Australian Kelpies but I can't find s breeder.

Here's the link to my Kelpie/ cattle dag thread.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...lian-Kelpie-dogs?highlight=Australian+kelpies

Last edited:
When I was in school I worked summers on a farm for my cousin, who had an Australian shepard named 'Huck'. It was a beef cattle farm, and Huck spent all day rounding up cows for various purposes. He was the smartest animal I have ever seen. You could speak full sentences to him in a monotone and he would run off and do exactly what you told him to do.

I saw him several years later, after he had stopped working on the farm. He was hugely fat and hardly moved at all. It was kind of sad to see him that way.

Not much point to my comments, except I do agree that these guys are happiest when they have a LOT of room to run and a job to do.

Doesn't matter if you "cattle" much, we had a Border Collie (in my avatar) and no sheep, now we have a rescue Aussie. We don't have cattle either, but in this area they are used for working cattle. Smart, tough dogs who want to work.
Aussies do need exercise and a job to do. We walk a mile or two daily with her up and down canyons and she gallops every where chasing rabbits, sniffing out quail. Extremely bright, responds to hand signals and gestures. But she can get bored and initiate play--throwing stick or balls, rough housing, etc.
She also is a "velcro dog", lying by your feet, leaning up against you, curl up on the couch with you. My wife and I never go to the bathroom alone.
But she's 50 lbs, built like a running back and needs the exercise and attention. Don't know if it's the breed or just our dog Zia but she is a loving, devoted companion who would be a great therapy dog IF she got the exercise and attention.

Last edited:
Seems extremely high energy for therapy dog...

Honestly, I don't know enough about therapy dogs, but I do know something about high energy herding dogs and people in need of therapy dogs and I am not seeing how the two meet in a mutually beneficial way?

These are the sort of dogs that go a little crazy if they don't run a few miles every day. They are happy to snuggle, but only after you run them into the ground with exercise.

^^^my friends border collie was like that

As was my brothers. He was super high energy and all over you when you visited. It would take him an hour or so to settle down. He was also very loving and protective of the kids.

It was very entertaining to watch him herd the kids in the yard.

Bob

Send a PM to user K-DUB. She's rehabbing an Australian Cattle dog that she found with a gunshot wound and stitched up. Only problem is that the pooch is in Montana with Ana...

If I may how about a Shetland Sheepdog,smallish around 30 lbs very smart and looks like a miniature version of everyone's favorite TV dog Lassie. My wife volunteered at a nursing home and I bring shelties to visit and with the exception of one woman the entire place made the biggest fuss over them.

Do you even "cattle" bro???

If your post was aimed at me. Yes I "healer" "bro".

I've had several in the past few decades. Before anyone in this area even knew they existed. People would ALWAYS ask me about him or her. Now Everyone knows of them and they're getting popular.
My post was a bit misleading. I was just pointing out the fact that Border collie was one of the breeds that make up the ACD. Along with Kelpie, terrier, dingo & dalmatian.

I suggest finding a good breeder because almost all the "Cattle dogs" I run into walking just don't fit the bill. Most are tall & dis proportionate. They're supposed to be short 36-40 pounds, almond shaped eyes, short muzzle, wide triangular shaped head.

I'm All over this thread cause my boy going to turn 9 this summer and I'm getting anxious about finding him and me a new friend.
I've repeateddly tried contacting the breeder I got my dog from but despite their website being regularly updated they never have responded. It just says that no future litters are planned at this point. It's terribly discouraging.
Here's the link. Heal nippers in Athol Mass.

http://heelnippersacd.webs.com
My dog Cash is the very first puppie on the left on the home page. Theres a photo gallery that you can see him and my old red female Sula if it interests anyone. There's also pics of him in Andy pieces dog pic thread.

If ANYONE has Any info on a good breeder PLEASE post up. If you have reservations about it PLEASE PM me!

God the scarcastic bro. [rolleyes] My ex guitarist was famous for that. Bothered me so much I'm seriously considering naming my new band Scarcastic Bro.

Last edited:
I've got three of them right now. One is a Champion my wife showed at Westminster. They are high energy dogs. I may have a lead on a local Cattle Dog mix looking for a new home. I'll check. I'm not convinced they would be a good service dog. And BTW Border Collie has no part of a Cattle Dog.

My breeder is in North Dakota. Be aware, some cattle dogs are carriers for blindness and deafness and should be checked.

They need a job to do. Chase a ball or anything. They will run hard and they snuggle with you after. I had my first Cattle Dog when I had cattle and she was hell on wheels moving them.

I know Heel Nippers breeders and where they got their stock from. All good breeding.

Last edited:
I've got three of them right now. One is a Champion my wife showed at Westminster. They are high energy dogs. I may have a lead on a local Cattle Dog mix looking for a new home. I'll check. I'm not convinced they would be a good service dog. And BTW Border Collie has no part of a Cattle Dog.

My breeder is in North Dakota. Be aware, some cattle dogs are carriers for blindness and deafness and should be checked.

They need a job to do. Chase a ball or anything. They will run hard and they snuggle with you after. I had my first Cattle Dog when I had cattle and she was hell on wheels moving them.

I know Heel Nippers breeders and where they got their stock from. All good breeding.

I was going to end up PM'ing you at some point because I've seen your posts and pics of your dogs.

Huh. I always thought Collie was in the breed because of the classic Bentley on the head but perhaps I'm wrong. Anyway let me or the thread know if you have any leads.

I don't want to hijack the thread but what's up with the folks in Athol? My EX GF originally dealt with them. They haven't answered any of my emails.

Back
Top Bottom