• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Auction question (Amoskeag Auction)

I'm hoping a few of the members here might have experience with firearm auctions (not the gunbroken.com kind)

I only recently found out that manchester, nh has a fairly regular firearm auction. I'm familiar with doing an internet purchase, ftf, gun shows etc, but I have never been to an auction of any kind, let alone an auction tuned for firearms.

So my question was how many of you go to these. Is there an etiquette code? Any barriers to entry? And tips of wisdom? Seems like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

sent from tapatalk mobile app

I do all of the ClassIII transfers for Amoskeag Auctions and also buy some stuff myself. It's rare to get a "great deal" at an auction,but many are fair to good deals. It's no big deal to sign in,get your bidder number,and go for it!

What you find at auctions like this,is some people just have no clue. At a Julia Auction in Maine last week,a guy bid a Bushmaster ar up to 1,150.00!! Add a 15% premium on that too....ouchhhh The same gun sells here at $899.95

So it all depends on the crowd,and how educated the crowd is /or is not.

The biggest tip is: Don't forget the premium is 15-17 percent over the final bid/15% if you're paying cash.

You can find things at these auctions that you'll NEVER find in any gun store....
I hope this helps/you will have fun watching if nothing else.
Jim

Been going and bidding at Amoskeag auctions since he started.Great people,honest and stand by their descriptions. The last one I just absentee bid and watched on line.
I would suggest,
buy the catalog (its all on line now but if you attend its much better to have a catalog)
Go to the preview a few days before the auction,the preview at the day of the auctions is very crowded,best left for last minute "double checks' on guns you plan to bid on.Plan to spend an nour or more going over all your possibilities.

The attend the auction,as Jim says pay attention to how much your paying including the "vig".If you have a wide range of potential buys you have a better chance of coming away with something.

Set a limit in your head....know when to say when...part of the reason that people sell at auctions is you only need two idiots to drive up the price.

Also, remember that some of your competitors will be dealers, and have to buy low enough to re-sell at a profit, but there will be other end-users that are willing to pay "retail".

Finally, , stick it out to the end....often a good percentage of the audience will be there for a few items, and will leave after those have come up, reducing the competition.

Have fun!

Are the purchases (in Maine) subject to sales tax also?

I have not been to James Julia's since he moved them back to Maine-from Portsmouth,but you are taxed at Maine rate if you buy there and p/u there (and have no resale license).I have bid on his and Polins as shipping to NH makes the sale a no taxable event.Thats said many auction companies try and collect it and you need to remind the.

As to waiting till the end,yes there can be good deals but note its a very long day,he was in the 800's of the regular catalog at 4pm (it starts at 10 and you want to be there way before that to get a seat,a dn do last minute checks.).When I go to them in person I also leave a left bid (I think they take them up until 9am day of auction) form for any items I want to bid on after I leave (usually around the 3-400's).

Fratellos is right near there and good for a late lunch/early dinner,if you do the "left bid form" and leave after 3-400 lots,which I do especially if I bring my wife.

One other thing,during the week-for the preview,parking is horrible,but on Sat-day of auctions there is lots of parking.

Last edited:
Was at Amoskeag. Maybe it was my imagination but I thought prices were a lot higher than usual. Not sure if it is the web based purchasing or just a bump in the road. Also the crowd usually thins out by 1 or 2 but the placed was still packed at 3:00, I think it went to 5:30....

The big auctions (Amouskeag, Julia's, etc.) bring out bring money. There won't be any deals there. Julia's in particular are catered to the wealthy collector.

Back
Top Bottom