1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Auburn PD FAIL!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by HKdrummer, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Moderator NES Member

RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
    and you wonder why when they stop you AGAIN that you get crap from them?

Whatever it is that you're doing, you need to do it differently.

2. doobie

doobie Banned

Just be glad they didn't find out you have an LTC, they'd tell your CLEO you are unsuitable...

3. RKG

RKG NES Member

Bad habit, I know, but sometimes hard to break. I'll keep trying.

4. HKdrummer

HKdrummer

Ya the towing fee was about $133.00 bucks Commerce is reimbursing me for the tow and time lost from work for having to deal with this. This is what upsets me because clearly I was not in the wrong otherwise commerce would have told me to pound sand
    Not only can they look up that you have insurance or not but they can see your payment history. As the officer stated " I have a history of not taking care of business." What business of theirs that is I have no idea.
    Well I clearly stated that more often than not I get stopped for bogus crap based solely on the look of my car. I have been told by several cops that they stopped me because they wanted to "check me out" and usual I'm never written for anything . I own a 2003 mazdaspeed protege and 2002 wrx both have body kits throaty exhausts and fancy wheels. I've never been stopped when I drove an 1989 Astro Van or a 1993 s-10 [thinking] I've heard some pretty strange excuses for being stopped. So to insinuate that perhaps im some punk kid racing around isn't gonna work.[wink] I've never lost my license and haven't even been stopped in three years till this incident
    Unfortunately they did. When I was in the lobby the officers started telling me I knowingly broke the law and that I would be INDICTED ON CRIMINAL CHARGES. Well that floored me and I asked what this would mean for my LTC because I was afraid it would affect it. Their response was amazing. "WOAHHHH Mr.****** what do guns have to do with this!?!? What is that supposed to mean???" [rolleyes] I just told him that I was a little freaked out at the prospect of getting in some serious trouble for this and he told me " you can have a record and still own guns" I'm sorry but to me crime is crime and I'm not someone to risk MY rights for anything so to purposefully break the law is an absurd accusation. I've never really differentiated between felony and misdemeanor, and have never wanted to find out what the repercussions are for either one. [thinking]

5. hunter46spring

hunter46spring

I have a hard time believeing that HK is as angelic as he makes it sound in this story, although it is possible; I dont know him. I also know that Auburn PD has a reputation of being an agressive (proactive) police department. and I dont doubt the possibility that they treated him poorly (although I am not sure it was to the degree described).

Facts are:
    1- That the police do not need a reason to run a license plate. They can run any plate for any reason.
    2-Motorists have to have their vehicle insured.
    3-Police ONLY have the registry computer to rely upon. If the registry says its insurance is cancelled that is all the police have to go by.

The police did NOTHING wrong by towing his vehicle. I am the first to admit that the registry and insurance companies regularly make mistakes and people who have paid their bills turn up as revoked or suspended. Unfortunately the only info the police can act on is what the registry provides. They cant let someone drive away with no insurance. People in a 2009 BMW can fail to pay a bill as easily as the owner of a 1982 POS Toyota. The police can ONLY act on the registry provided information. The complaint here should be with the Registry or the Insurance company NOT the police, they were only doing their job.

Being treated poorly in the police station is an entirely different story. If you were treated that poorly I am sorry and it should not happen once it was discovered that your plates became listed as active the should be returned to you (they do at my department at least).

All of that being said a car being towed for no insurance is about as low on the police crime spectrum as you can get. My point is that it is common and it is usually not a stressful or adversarial interaction (The computer say you have no insurance, the registry may/not have screwed up, I gotta tow your vehicle). This is why I have a hard time believeing that some one comes into the police station would be treated this way (Although Auburn PD's reputation does not prohibit it). It may be their policy to return all plates siezed to the registry (after all the plates belong to the registry you are only paying a user fee to have them and put them on your car. You dont own them).

I have a feeling that HK came marching in the station spitting fire, probally rightfully upset but that anger should have been directed at the Insurance Co. and the Registry.

As far as prior history that IS pertinant there are additional charges for 2nd and subsequent offences. That information is on your drivers history. If some one is claiming "this has never happened before, I always pay my bills, there must be some mistake Officer" and it turns up there is prior offences I dont see this as being irrelevant. Even in his original post it sounds like the officers in the lobby are telling him what he needs to do, it may be he wasnt listening.

Finally I dont see the response the Officer gave as after the appeal as a threat. It may have been presented poorly it may have been SLIGHTLY inappropriate but it was in no way a threat. It seemed like an attempt at advice.

I could be off base, something dosnt add up. I know that as a rule police treat people as they are treated.

Again, I appologize if it went down like that. No one deserves to be treated poorly. Once things have calmed down and you re-evaluate what happened I am currious if you may say "I could have said/acted differently and had a better result".

Sometimes the police are to blame, some times they are just doing their job and people dont like the results

6. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

That's true in many other states as well.

7. HKdrummer

HKdrummer

This I understand when the officer was taking my car he said I'm not trying to be a dick but its my ass on the line. I responded with " no I understand but it just sucks cause now im stuck here with out a car. I never once was angry with him or ever got pissy with him.
    They absolutely refused this telling me I needed to get NEW plates. I clearly stated that the registry would not give me NEW plates because as far as they were concerned the ones the PD were holding were still valid. He even told me he new the plates were ACTIVE but "we're not in the business of returning plates we seize"
    This statement I have a problem with. I went in there with one notion on my mind. Just talk to these guys and find out whats going on. I couldn't have been more calm unless I was mute. I didn't swear I didn't wave my arms around, I didn't even raise my voice I merely was looking to get to the bottom of things.

BS I've never had my registration license or insurance suspended there for if I pay my insurance bill a week late thats none of there GD business. I'm sorry but i'm not going to buy into that.
    Guess you had to be there the tone and look just gave me the impression of "next time your in our town we're gonna nail you to the wall." Regardless I didn't appreciate it.

Maybe you do, but as a blanket statement that's like saying it rains every time its cloudy. sorry but you know as well as I do there are great cops and dick cops

most likely not I found this whole situation to be way over the top and avoidable with a little common sense and some looking from the outside in. You shouldn't apologize you did nothing wrong and I want to make it clear I dont have a blanket distain for cops. I've encountered some that were awesome but in this case I've encountered some whom are just badge heavy and find it their job to harass the public.

8. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

Amazing how many posters are knee-jerking that it was the OP's fault because they assume that cops are perfect. [rolleyes]

Absolutely not - if the cops are still ragging on you for this you need to keep hammering on them until THEY apologize. There's no excuse for their brand of jack-booted intimidation.

Yet another sheep here who advocates just taking it. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

And ANOTHER person blaming the victim here. [rolleyes] Dennis, I can't wait to hear your reaction if you ever get stopped by a cop on a fishing expedition... or if he's rude to you.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Moderator NES Member

RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
    Ross,
    If I get stopped by a cop on a fishing expedition, I'll let you know.

If after I've been stopped so many times you can't even imagine, I won't post about being picked on by cops here.

10. HKdrummer

HKdrummer

Your missing the point sir, I was pointing out that cops make a habit of stopping vehicles that they deem to be "suspicious" the fact that I drive a "fast and the furious" type car makes them raise an eyebrow, I get that and don't care, fine. I'm not even mad the officer towed my car, I get that too. This post was merely my aggravation with how I was treated AFTER the fact.
    That's all. [wink]

11. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

You know, slightly off topic but very relevant is the fact that in this POS state, we can not 2nd party record conversations and that in this state, not a single PD that I know of has dash cams and audio recording. The only time when not in court you are being recorded is when you call the local PD for something. This and other situations will continue to be a he said, she said situation until this absurdity is put to rest by putting dash cams and audio into cruisers. It doesn't solve some of the interactions in the OP, but it would have put on record the first interaction as that one was quoted by the cop for rude behavior.

I frankly don't see why dash cams and audio are such a big deal for cops. If you aren't doing anything wrong, why be concerned that you are on camera???

12. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

+1...

IMO, sure, the police were doing their job, fine... but I think they could have approached it a little differently.

Further, there's no reason for them to treat him like an ass over something which amounts to a procedural violation, and at that, one that he didn't even cause.

It evades me why the insurance company couldn't have just sent a fax with proof of insurance to the PD, and then the LEO telling the operator "Hey, we found out you have insurance, but you still need to fix this this and that, ASAP..." and then just let the guy go. (And then the OP, pissed and annoyed, would immediately go take it up with his insurance company, and that'd be the end of the problem. )

ETA: Course, part of me wonders, how much of this problem is "policy" - eg, a LEO basically has to
    worship the registry computer as some sort of god (or get fired) then the LEO is put in a rather
    untenable position.

-Mike

13. jdubois

jdubois

Yeah, I agree, there seems to be a bit of knee-jerking going on here. I haven't been able to make any kind of judgment on the situation (other than it obviously sucked for HK), because I haven't heard the other side of the story. I have no reason to doubt him, but as he himself said, the other story will of course be different. But if the officer really said those things to him at the Magistrate's hearing, that certainly seems quite unprofessional. The officer was letting his emotions get in the way of good judgment.

I took RKG's opinion more to be "pick your battles" than "just take it".

14. dwarven1

But that amounts to the same thing. If you automatically assume that you can't win these battles, it's the same as giving them a free pass for how they acted.

15. jdubois

jdubois

Yeah, I agree... if you're dropping a battle because it's hard, rather than dropping a battle because you've got more important battles to spend your energy on.

16. Nickle

Nickle

Well, I'm sure glad I don't live in Mass.

This kind of crap doesn't happen up my way.

The cops can't stop you unless they have propable cause.

The kind/shape/color/etc of your vehicle is not propable cause, nor is your age/gender/race/dress/etc.

If they run a plate, and find a problem, and it wasn't a valid stop (invalid as in stopping for a dirty/unreadable license plate, then running the plate from the cruiser), then the whole case, and everything associated with it is dismissed.

Not having insurance is a fine and maybe a few points. Rack up a few of them, your license is suspended.

Have the EXACT situation listed here, the LEO would almost certainly issue a "fix-it ticket", and ask proof of insurance be shown to him with 10 days or so (BTDT myself, got my new card that same day).

Now, all of that is like that up here, because we have a state Constitution that gives us more rights than the US Constitution does.

Why you folks down there tolerate this crap is beyond me. I know I sure wouldn't.

17. JonJ

JonJ Moderator NES Member

I haven't read all the replies but I'll say that the OP should not have been spoken to the way he said that he was.
    As for what the computer said when the officer made the stop, that's a problem between the OP and his insurance company. I may have done the same thing that the officer did, cite and tow. Isn't it possible that the OP could have missed an insurance payment? He then could have called his broker, made an electronic payment and had the policy reinstated. The officer wouldn't or couldn't know that. I'm not saying that's what happened here. The officer acted on what information he had.
    No one ever lies to the police.

18. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

Yes, and that may have been what caused the issue to begin with. But one needs to take into account some BS re: insurance rules in this state. Failure to pay a bill does NOT mean that the person is not insured or has not paid their premium for the time period in question.

Lets say I pay 100% of my insurance bill on day 0 of the year. I cancel half way through, I get half of it back. Makes perfect sense. Now lets say I pay 90% of it on day 0 and fail to pay that last 10% after the first month. The ins company can cancel your insurance 1/12th of the way into the year despite the fact that you paid 90% of the $ value of the premium.

19. JonJ

Valid point but it's not the police officers problem or concern. Revoked is revoked. He acts on what information that is provided to him.

20. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

Oh agreed, the towing was inevitable. What happened afterwards was unconscionable. He proved it was not revoked. There should have been no question that he get the plates back and yet it required all sorts of BS to get them. That is beyond stupid.

21. dwarven1

And AGAIN with assuming that the OP lied in his post. Sure, he COULD have done that... but why were the cops so rude to him? Or could he have lied about that, too, just to make a good sounding NES post so he could get abused in the replies?

22. JonJ

Take the sand out from between your legs Mr. Assumer and reread what I said.
    You'd have to ask the cops why they were so rude. I wasn't there. All did was provide a plausible explanation for the cite and tow. I didn't say the OP lied.
    Slow down and take a deep breath.

23. dwarven1

I did. You asked if it was possible that the OP had made a quick electronic payment - which seems to be the same as asking "Isn't it possible that the OP lied?".

I just do not understand so many people automatically assuming that the OP lied in his post.

24. Tater

Tater

if you felt threatened maybe you should file a restraining order... wait do they take a cops guns when they get a RO put on them.

In all seriousness I would write a letter to the chief that states what you said. You think that the officer was upset at how things went down and said something he shouldn't have. It sounded to you like he is threatening to target you in the future. State that this may have just been an officer blowing off steam or a real threat and that no action will be taken on your part unless you see anything in the future that leads you to believe that the officer is "gunning" for you. If that happens you will stop at nothing to make sure that this is a Public Relation Nightmare for the Auburn Police Dept.

25. JonJ

But you conveniently missed this[thinking]:

26. dwarven1

Then why even bring it up at all? If that's not what happened, why even throw it out here as a possibility?

27. jkelly

jkelly Shooting at the big range in heaven

Interestingly the same information often has different people leaning different ways. Sometimes it’s because of the methodology used to determine guilt is different, sometimes it bias, and sometimes it’s both.

Respectfully,
    jkelly

28. Nickle

Nickle

Ross, Jon, I do remember that Jon did state that the behavior of the officer/department, other than citing and towing, was improper.

That say it all to me, as well as the original poster. The OP even says he understood the initial towing, just hated how he was treated AFTER it was established he in fat did have insurance.

29. JonJ

Because the officer who made the stop may have thought that, that's why.
    People are always asking "why did this happen?, Why did that happen?" Well, I gave an answer and you accuse me of calling the OP a liar.
    You know what, wallow in your ignorance. It's very becoming. This is the reason I usually just glance over threads like this and never add to them.

1 person likes this.
  30. dwarven1

Jon, I wish you had included that sentence above in your post; that puts a whole different meaning to it. The way I read it, obviously, wasn't that way, and if that's what you meant then I owe you an apology, and I do so apologize.

I thought it was another attack on the OP, and if it was such, I didn't think it was justified.
    See what a difference it makes? Again, my apologies for jumping on you. (I thought it was odd, as you usually do not automatically jump to either kind of conclusion in these types of threads!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.