1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Auburn PD FAIL!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by HKdrummer, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dagwag77

dagwag77

Courtesy and respect goes both ways, and from the story we have here HKDrummer was respectful and was treated like a dickhead. Just takes one asshat cop to twist the story completely when calling into the station after the stop to get the rest to act like assclowns. Sometimes they dont think for themselves in judging people[rolleyes]

2. Radio

Radio

I stand by my advice, it is sound. Remember, keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer . [wink]

3. freedom2012

freedom2012

Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
    I know the feeling. Just before the wife gave birth, I pulled up to the curb at Stop and Shop to pick her up and save her the walk into the lot in my sports car. Just before she opened the door a cop pulled up and screamed at me "Get that peice of SH*T out of the Fire Lane!"

He looked up as she opened the door with her baby gut sticking out, turned his head in shameful anger and stabbed the gas pedal.

Jealousy is the most evil human emotion.

4. Martlet

Martlet

Some people forget who they work for.

5. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

If you don't have a dog, I would file a complaint against the officer.

6. dagwag77

dagwag77

See the thing is, in my opinion, you can say anything to them and they'll still walk away from you muttering "Deuschebag" because otherwise they'd essentially be admitting to themselves that they were wrong, which of course doesn't happen because they've got the power of the tin.

+1 in my department it actually does something.....I hope it would do the same in his.

7. HKdrummer

HKdrummer

Excuse me for not being too smart, buttttt I'm confused as all hell by this statement. [laugh]

8. 06LemansC6

06LemansC6

It's in reference to cops killing dogs, mostly while serving warrants. Do a search and you'll find some threads.

9. HKdrummer

HKdrummer

[shocked]Thanks! But WOW.

10. Blitz1

Blitz1 NES Member

I wonder if the other side of this is on masscops...

11. dagwag77

dagwag77

LOL....it probably is. and I'm sure it sounds alot different.

12. HKdrummer

HKdrummer

I'm sure it does, but whatever. It's obviously clear the stories would be different and they will never be the same.

13. dagwag77

dagwag77

Oh yea, you could tell once the guy in the station started giving you shit. You know he already spoke to his fellow officer who gave him his side of the story...

I see both sides of this story every day at work, and it bothers me when I see people at the window and the officers in dispatch take their time to come to the window to help them. Sometimes the way they act bothers me, and sometimes they go above and beyond to help someone, and its a weird combination of whats going on/their mood/and the first few words out of the person behind the glass's mouth... Or sometimes there just one deuschenugget who works the desk who couldn't give a shit if the mayor of the city walked up to the window, hes not getting timely or courteous service.

In my opinion, re: the cop, f*ck 'em, forget about it, and move on.

14. RKG

RKG NES Member

Taking this story at face value (and I see no reason not to), it seems clear that the officer simultaneously did what he had to do and did it in an unprofessional manner (it is possible to do both at the same time). There are a couple of other things to consider: for instance, once the ticket had been written, there is no effective way for the officer to recall it, and even if the Patrol Supervisor has that power, there are some pretty imposing disincentives for exercising it.

Which leaves the question: what do you do now? Unless you live in that town, I concur with the recommendation to let it drop, but not for the reason stated. Rather, if (as appears to be the case) rude behavior is tolerated in that department, there is nothing that the Chief is likely to do about it and no one who can alter his approach. So after a lot of effort and angst, you'd get nothing. There is no sense in fighting a fight if there is nothing to be won.

The person who has the best chance of minimizing the likelihood that this happens again to someone else is actually your insurance guy, and his approach is not to this Chief but rather to the Registry. While the Registry isn't the one who dropped the ball in this case, the Registry does have an interest in the system, and the Registrar might be persuaded to send a letter to all Chiefs describing the situation and urging them, in exactly these circumstances, to have their officers pause for a moment to see if a clerical error can, in fact, be rectified on the spot. This saves everyone some unnecessary consequences, including the officer(s) and department in question.

1 person likes this.
  15. Turbocharged

Turbocharged

well, if you really feal the PD f'd up, call your local newspaper. These stories show up in the paper all the time, and deffinatly get some notice.
    You'd be surprised how willing the paper might be to print your story.

16. HKdrummer

HKdrummer

I've had it both ways and I'll tell ya courtesy goes a long way. I'm sure they deal with dickbags who have more stories than walt disney, and i'm sure its hard not to get jaded but this was just above and beyond them [rolleyes] and saying whatever pal. I guess its a lesson learned.

17. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

You are thinking way too rationally... [wink]

18. JoeT

JoeT

19. cekim

cekim NES Member

Reason #4,765 why excessive regulation is a bad idea - simple clerical errors turn law abiding citizens into criminals and put police in the position of confronting, arresting and imprisoning people who have done nothing wrong...

The people of MA have been lulled into a false sense of security that only "those people" get ensnared in the rat's nest of laws they allow their unopposed elected officials create...

Computers and technology are going to change that - this case is a great example...

Prior to internet connected patrol officers, he'd have had no way of knowing...

Without computers, he could have gotten caught after-the-fact on a speeding ticket - the state would have checked as a matter of course and found the lack of insurance while processing a speeding ticket, parking ticket, etc...

In that case, the "clerical error" could have been resolved in a clerical manner without the confrontation...

Instead the pervasive use of tech, databases and onerous, absurd and generally inscrutable laws mean that your exposure to miscarriage of justice and clerical error is no longer reduced by you being an upstanding citizen, but reduced to sheer randomness...

Once again, this is why registration of anything is bad. This is why fingerprint and DNA databases of innocent people are bad. This is why every law written, no matter how benign it may seem is threat to your rights and should be weighed against that...

20. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Many LEOs go trolling/fishing for revoked registrations and expired insurance all the time. The plates are in public view, so basically they're free to do this anytime your vehicle is on a public way.

-Mike

21. Baystatesuks

Baystatesuks

Auburn PD have been out in force lately - probably due to all the construction on Route 12/Southbridge Street or trying to raise some
    additional revenue. They also have been camping out on Route 20 and hitting people with the LIDAR gun as they come down the hill
    from Home Depot.

In any case, it would seem the first officer was doing his job as he is required to impound your vehicle if it doesn't have insurance. I realize this was a mistake and was no fault of your own, but it was still entered into the computer as having no insurance. Could he have re-entered it - yes. But he doesn't have to.

The second group of police, however, seemed to be using the old police tactic of " if we talk really loudly and intimidating then this guy will go away and not realize we are (1) wrong; (2) not capable of using common sense; and (3) not going to give in no matter who is right." In these situations, you can't win, so you might as well just leave and seek other modes of action. I personally know some of the Auburn police officers, and as usual, there are good ones and there are bad ones.

As far as your course of action, I would write the town selectmen and let them deal with the COP. As I recall, there was a group of Auburn senior citizens that complained a while back about the Auburn police being disrespectful and intimidating. The COP changed that, but perhaps the police officers need a reminder.

Hopefully, you don't live in Auburn either.

22. Martlet

Martlet

He should have to. We hire police. Why? To ensure people who don't follow the law are brought to justice. They aren't protectors in the first-hand sense. They aren't revenue generators.

The spirit of the law SHOULD be greater than the letter of the law. Even though I disagree with mandated insurance requirements, what is their purpose? To protect the innocent party in the event of an accident. The OP was in complete compliance with the law AND the intent. Once that was determined, it should have been the end of it. There was no need to waste the OP's time or money. Period. Some police serve the wrong master.

23. Baystatesuks

Baystatesuks

I don't disagree with what you are saying. But, once the police find a violation, it isn't in their interest to be helpful - more revenue for them that
    way.

And police are revenue generators. Maybe they shouldn't be, but they are.

24. Nashmack

Nashmack Banned

That sucks HK. How much was the towing and storage on the vehicle? IIRC most companies in Mass require cash for releasing a vehicle from impound. Seems to me like you did nothing wrong and therefore should be reimbursed by one of the parties for wrongfully towing your vehicle, and be held liable for any damages incurred during towing and storage.

25. doobie

doobie Banned

Wait can the police look up from your license plates that you have/don't have insurance?

Your brocker/insurance company better be paying all your fees, and you better not have this on your record.

Contact the AG/better business bureau

26. Nashmack

Nashmack Banned

Oh and by the way, drop Commerce. They SUCK.

27. Martlet

Martlet

They've always been great for me.

28. Baystatesuks

Baystatesuks

I think this error was clerical and could happen with any insurance company and could happen to any one of us.

As an aside, I did switch from Commerce to Progressive and saved over $600 per year for a comparable amount of coverage. YMMV.

29. cekim

cekim NES Member

As much as it pains Martlet, I have to agree entirely... [wink]

This idea of Police as nit-pick "enforce now, ask questions later" is wrong...

I don't know how the OP really reacted, but it should not be unreasonable to stop and have an on-the-spot conversation with an insurance company...

This is the bed we have made with all these regulations - there is no reason that the officer needed to "escalate" to an impound when the driver had not only a plausible explanation, but a solution...

Now, sure at some point if he is just yelling at the cop, then of course guilty people do that do and the officer is supposed to ignore it and let the courts figure it out.

But this idea of a blanket "just following orders, get into the oven" approach to policing is absolutely wrong. That's why we have PEOPLE doing this job rather than machines...

30. offcamber

offcamber

So the Cops in MA can check to see if you have insurance electronically...
    I'll add that to the growing reasons I don't live there....

You guys gotta take that state back...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.