• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Auburn Man has guns confiscated. Related to the Worcester incident.

What does it say about MA politicians that they passed a law that bans something defined in a fanciful TV show that was frankly somewhat farcical?[thinking]

And how about that definition. Anything out of the ordinary can be considered an infernal machine if one can argue it is in any way dangerous.

Infernal Machine as a term in law goes back to the 19th Century and was usually applied to some kind of explosive device.

He stole the effing gun. (according to very biased news reports, at least)

Yes, of course I have a problem with HOW he came to the attention of the police, but he is not someone I identify with, nor have any sympathy for. Any more than the drug dealer a few doors down the street from Gringo.

I'll have sympathy for the guy that has the licenses and permits, stores his firearms and ammo in a safe and sensible way and yet some moonbat neighbor freaks out and gets the guy wrongly arrested, but this does not appear to be that guy.

What's the difference between "state prison" and "jail"? And why is one so much worse than the other?

Jail has a maximum term of 2 1/2 years and is a commitment to a house of correction.

Prison is for felony convictions carrying a sentence of longer than 2 1/2 years and is commitment to a State Prison.

Infernal Machine as a term in law goes back to the 19th Century and was usually applied to some kind of explosive device.

Someone said it was from "wild wild west", but I am sure you are right. Still absurd.

It is killing the historic preservationist in me that some or all of these firearms are going to get destroyed. The last guys collection was actually really, really nice. Sounds like this guy had a nice one too.

He stole the effing gun. (according to very biased news reports, at least)

Yes, of course I have a problem with HOW he came to the attention of the police, but he is not someone I identify with, nor have any sympathy for. Any more than the drug dealer a few doors down the street from Gringo.

I'll have sympathy for the guy that has the licenses and permits, stores his firearms and ammo in a safe and sensible way and yet some moonbat neighbor freaks out and gets the guy wrongly arrested, but this does not appear to be that guy.
[wink]
Your statement is fair enough. Just remember, this all started with a "medical emergency" to one address.
Best Regards.

...And how about that definition. Anything out of the ordinary can be considered an infernal machine if one can argue it is in any way dangerous.

Doesn't this directly fly in the face against the right to keep and bear "arms"? Nobody said "arms" means just guns, right?

My main concern is what is going to happen to the MG34? That is a classic MG and should be saved for posterity.

If We Don't Learn Our History, We're Doomed to Repeat It...[hmmm]

My main concern is what is going to happen to the MG34? That is a classic MG and should be saved for posterity.

If We Don't Learn Our History, We're Doomed to Repeat It...[hmmm]

If you are that concerned, you should start contacting museums to have them request it before it is gone.

New article:

Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Police, DA to weigh gun cache charges

Home owner well-liked by neighbors

By Bill Fortier TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

Guns confiscated from Mr. Simulynas’ house cover tables at the police station in Auburn. (COURTESY AUBURN POLICE)
Enlarge photo

AUBURN — While local police will huddle with the district attorney today to figure out what charges to bring against the owner of a Rochdale Street house where 85 weapons, about 800 pounds of ammunition and two boxes of suspected explosives were confiscated on Thursday, Anthony Simulynas’ neighbors said he was a very good man who has lived in the area for years.

“I’ve known Tony for a long, long, long time,” said Douglas Stewart, 77, of 412 Rochdale St., “and he’s a great neighbor.”

Police said they do not believe Mr. Simulynas was planning to do anything wrong with his weapons. But they said he was storing them improperly.

“As far as I’m concerned, this was a disaster just waiting to happen,” Detective Sgt. Jeffrey A. Lourie said.

Detective Sgt. Lourie said local police got a search warrant for Mr. Simulynas’s house on Thursday after Paul D. Mateiko, 54, of 184 Highland St., Worcester, told Worcester police he had stolen a German-built MG34 machine gun from the 72-year-old Mr. Simulynas.

Worcester police found heavy machine guns, shotguns, pistols and ammunition in Mr. Mateiko’s house after they were called there by an ambulance crew responding to a Feb. 8 medical call. Mr. Mateiko faces four counts of illegal possession of a machine gun and possession of an infernal machine (C-4 plastic explosives).

Mr. Simulynas told police that Mr. Mateiko had stolen the approximately 4-foot-long, thick-barreled MG34 machine gun from him. The gun was used in the 1930s as a tank and aircraft defense weapon.

Detective Sgt. Lourie said the two men were good friends at one time.

“He told us that he was welcome at the home and there were times he was left there unattended,” Detective Sgt. Lourie said of Mr. Mateiko.

About 2 p.m. Thursday, police, armed with the search warrant, went to the well-kept, neatly manicured white two-story house that Anthony Simulynas and his wife, Veronica, live in.

There, police said, officers found about 40 rifles, more than 40 handguns, two machine guns, and about 800 pounds of ammunition. They also took about 20 pounds of gunpowder stored in five coffee cans. Police were still examining the weapons yesterday afternoon.

Two boxloads of explosives, each the size of a case of beer, were turned over to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Detective Sgt. Lourie said. He said he will try to get an update from ATF today.

Mr. Simulynas, described by neighbors as a retired engineer with severe rheumatoid arthritis, used to have a license to carry a firearm and a firearms dealer’s license. But then-Police Chief Ronald Miller revoked the licenses after Mr. Simulynas was involved in an incident in 1999 in Webster involving a gun.

Mr. Simulynas was told by Chief Miller to turn in his guns, but Detective Sgt. Lourie said yesterday it was unclear how Mr. Simulynas responded. Nobody answered the front door at his house yesterday afternoon, and a telephone message was not returned.

Detective Sgt. Lourie said of the 85 weapons in the house, only three rifles were stored properly in a case. The other weapons, ammunition and suspected explosives, which police believe might include landmines, hand grenades, blasting caps and pressure detonators, were stored haphazardly in the house’s cellar, he said.

“Every time we turned around we found more weapons,” Detective Sgt. Lourie said yesterday. “I mean there was a lot of stuff there.”

He had no idea how many guns he had in the house, “Detective Sgt. Lourie said, adding that Mr. Simulynas didn’t know if any other weapons had been stolen.

“The weapons in the cellar were improperly stored, “Officer Lourie said. “There were no trigger locks; weapons were hanging from the rafters and on nails.”

It took five Auburn uniformed officers, four Auburn detectives, two Worcester detectives and three ATF agents more than five hours to remove all of the weapons, Detective Sgt. Lourie said. The ammunition, which he said comprised thousands of rounds, filled the bed of a police pickup truck, and some was taken to the police station in cruisers.

As of yesterday, it was unclear if Mr. Simulynas, who police believe was a collector involved in gun sales at one time, would be charged.

Police hope that a planned conversation today with the district attorney’s office, which was closed yesterday because of the holiday, will bring some answers.

Among the potential charges are possessing weapons without a permit, illegal possession of a machine gun and possession of an infernal machine in connection with suspected explosives, described by Detective Sgt. Lourie as military-style ordnance.

Detective Sgt. Lourie said he expects charges to be filed by the end of the week.

He said Mr. Simulynas was not arrested because of health issues and because he was cooperative with police. He is not considered a flight risk, Detective Sgt. Lourie said.

Meanwhile, several of Mr. Simulynas’ neighbors said they liked him.

Clarence “Sonny” Stewart, 79, of 416 Rochdale St., and his brother, Douglas, said they were shocked to hear about the weapons, ammunition and suspected explosives that were taken from their neighbor’s home.

“I don’t have a bad word to say about him,” Sonny Stewart said.

“I’m astonished to hear this,” Douglas Stewart said. He added that he and Mr. Simulynas, who, he said, was afflicted with arthritis, would have a beer together.

“Just the kind of thing neighbors do,” Douglas said.

Sonny Stewart said Veronica Simulynas, known to people in the neighborhood as Ronny, could be seen frequently walking the couple’s French poodle on Rochdale Street.

Simulynas’ next-door neighbor, Lawrence R. Morse, knew Mr. Simulynas was a gun collector and dealer but was unable to do that in recent years. He said Mr. Simulynas went to his 50th birthday party in August.

“I was surprised to see the police here, yes,” he said yesterday afternoon. “He’s a very nice guy.”

Another neighbor who didn’t want her name used said yesterday she wondered why so many police were at the Simulynas house on Thursday. She said she would frequently tell Mrs. Simulynas how much she liked her house.

Latest article:
http://telegram.com/article/20090224/FRONTPAGENEWS/902240276

Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Auburn man faces multiple weapons charges

By Gerard F. Russell TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

[email protected]

3 comments | Add a comment

AUBURN — A 72-year-old Auburn man is facing multiple weapons charges in connection with a stash of weapons and ammunition confiscated by police from his Rochdale Street home Feb. 12.

As a result of a clerk magistrate’s hearing today in Central District Court in Worcester, complaints have been issued against Anthony Simulynas for 10 counts of possession of a firearm, one count of possession of ammunition, one count of possession of an infernal machine, two counts of possession of a machine gun and one count of improper storage of a firearm, according to Timothy J. Connolly, spokesman for the office of Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr.

Police seized 85 weapons and 800 pounds of ammunition and two boxes of explosives from the home.

At the time, police said they did not believe Mr. Simulynas had planned to do anything wrong with the arsenal. But they said he was storing them improperly.

The search of the house resulted because of another gun stash discovered by Worcester Police earlier at the home of Paul D. Mateiko, 54, of 184 Highland St. Mr. Mateiko told Worcester police he had stolen a German-built MG34 machine gun from Mr. Simulynas.

Worcester police found machine guns, shotguns, pistols and ammunition in Mr. Mateiko’s house after they were called there by an ambulance crew responding to a Feb. 8 medical call. Mr. Mateiko also faces weapons charges.

Mr. Simulynas told police that Mr. Mateiko stole the MG34 machine gun from him.

The weapon was used in the 1930s as a tank and anti-aircraft defense weapon. Police said the two men were friends at one time.

When police searched the Auburn home, they found about 40 rifles, more than 40 handguns, two machine guns and ammunition. They also took about 20 pounds of gunpowder. Two boxes of explosives were turned over to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Mr. Simulynas used to have a license to carry a firearm and a firearms dealer’s license. Former Auburn Police Chief Ronald Miller revoked the licenses after Mr. Simulynas was involved in an incident in 1999 involving a gun in Webster. At the time, Mr. Simulynas was told by Chief Miller to turn in his guns.

Of the 85 weapons found in the house, only three rifles were properly stored, police said.

Mr. Simulynas is scheduled to be arraigned March 11 in Central District Court.

Of the 85 weapons found in the house, only three rifles were properly stored, police said.

10 counts of possession of a firearm, one count of possession of ammunition, one count of possession of an infernal machine, two counts of possession of a machine gun and one count of improper storage of a firearm

plea bargain? Where's the BATF in this with regards to the machine guns/explosives?

I'm pretty sure the hearing for this is today, Wednesday March 11 in Worcester. I know a LOT of people showed up for some court case a few years ago down in one of those towns near 495 or somewhere in the SE part of the state. I'm not sure, but can anyone go to these court hearings? Will GOAL be going? This guy was said to be "a nice guy" by his neighbors. Like the kid in the truck, it could happen to just about anyone, if they weren't paying attention to the changes in the law. I bet he thought he was OK with possession in his own home even though he didn't have a permit. Sure, we all know ignorance is no excuse, but after a fashion, we all can't keep up with all these laws all the time, so someone is bound to get caught up in them.

Update:
Auburn man pleads not guilty to firearms cache charges

Auburn man pleads not guilty to firearms cache charges

By Gary V. Murray TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

Add a comment

WORCESTER — A 72-year-old Auburn man indicted last month on firearms and explosives charges pleaded not guilty at his arraignment today in Worcester Superior Court.

Anthony Simulynas was charged after police said they seized 85 weapons, 800 pounds of ammunition and two boxes of explosives Feb. 12 from his home at 394 Rochdale St., Auburn. The search followed the earlier discovery by Worcester police of a cache of guns, ammunition and plastic explosives at the home of Paul D. Mateiko, 54, of 184 Highland St., Worcester.

Mr. Mateiko allegedly told police one of the weapons, a German-built MG34 machine gun, had been stolen from Mr. Simulynas. A Worcester County grand jury handed up indictments against both men March 17.

Mr. Simulynas, who walks with a cane, pleaded not guilty today to two counts of possessing a machine gun, 16 counts of possessing an infernal machine, two counts of possessing a firearm without a firearm identification card, and a single count of improperly storing a firearm.

Accompanied by his lawyer, Mark L. Monopoli, Mr. Simulynas answered, “Not guilty, your honor,” after each of the 21 charges was read by Assistant Clerk Magistrate Kevin M. Golden.

Assistant District Attorney Terrence M. Reidy told Judge James R. Lemire he was not requesting bail because Mr. Simulynas had appeared earlier in Central District court in response to a summons.

Judge Lemire released Mr. Simulynas on personal recognizance and continued his case to May 27.

At the time the guns, ammunition and explosives were discovered, authorities said they did not believe Mr. Simulynas planned to do anything illegal with the arsenal, but that most of the weapons were not stored properly.

Mr. Mateiko is to be arraigned April 24 in Worcester Superior Court on indictments charging him with four counts of possessing a machine gun, 21 counts of possessing an infernal machine, two counts of possessing explosives and one count each of improperly storing a firearm and receiving stolen property. The stolen property allegedly received by Mr. Mateiko is listed in the indictment as a machine gun belonging to Mr. Simulynas.

Authorities said they recovered C-4 military plastic explosives and hundreds of weapons, including four working machine guns, after a Feb. 7 request for medical assistance at Mr. Mateiko’s home.

Add a comment

I am not following you. Did you MG, not NG? And when did he point it at a fence?
He plead "Not Guilty" (NG) and as such he's fighting it...

I was wondering out loud how he was going to fight it?

There are two pesky Constitutional amendments he could use, but he's going to need one or the other...

He plead "Not Guilty" (NG) and as such he's fighting it...

I was wondering out loud how he was going to fight it?

There are two pesky Constitutional amendments he could use, but he's going to need one or the other...

Oh, I get it now. The fence bit threw me off. Most law is boring. The not guilty plea is probably to buy time for a plea bargain. I would be surprised he tries anything interesting.

No One.....No One.... pleads Guilty at arraignment. It is judicial suicide to do so even if you are the guiltiest of parties.

Do not read anything into the not guilty plea.

there should be an original thread on this...

*don't quote me, but i think it was a neighbor or ex-wife that dropped dime on the guy....

It's interesting how the term "weapon has become a synonym for "firearm" in the media. A lot of us have more than 85 firearms, but as I sit here in my family room with only a single handgun I can easily identify mroe than a hundred potential "weapons" sitting around in plain sight. I guess it all boils down to mindset.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom