• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Auburn Man has guns confiscated. Related to the Worcester incident.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20090216/FRONTPAGENEWS/902160288

Collection of weapons, ammunition removed from Auburn home

By Bill Fortier TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

11 comments | Add a comment

AUBURN — A Rochdale Street man faces weapons charges after law enforcement officials took 85 guns and about 800 pounds of ammunition from his home late last week.

Auburn Detective Sergeant Jeffrey A. Lourie said police searched a home owned by Anthony Simulynas, 72, of 394 Rochdale St. Thursday, and that charges will be filed after police talk tomorrow to the district attorney’s office, which is closed today because of the holiday.

Police went to the home Thursday after Paul D. Mateiko, 54, of 184 Highland St., Worcester, told Worcester police he had stolen a German-built MG34 machine gun from Mr. Simulynas. Worcester police found heavy machine guns, shotguns, pistols and ammunition in Mr. Mateiko’s house when they and ambulance workers responded to a medical call on Feb. 8. Mr. Mateiko faces four counts of illegal possession of a machine gun and possession of an infernal machine, C-4 plastic explosives.

Mr. Simulynas acknowledged to police that Mr. Mateiko had stolen the large, thick-barreled MG34 machine gun that was used in the 1930s as a tank and aircraft defense weapon.

An unspecified amount of what Detective Sergeant Lourie said were military-style munitions has been turned over to the federal Department of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, which assisted local police and Worcester police detectives in Thursday’s raid on the home in a residential part of town near the former Champagne’s Garage.

Mr. Simulynas had his license to carry firearms and firearms dealer’s license revoked in 1999 by then-Auburn Police Chief Ronald Miller. Mr. Simulynas cooperated with police, who spent more than five hours in the home removing the weapons and ammunition. With the exception of three rifles in a case, all the other weapons and ammunition were improperly stored in the house that Mr. Simulynas shares with his wife, according to police.

With the exception of three rifles in a case, all the other weapons and ammunition were improperly stored in the house that Mr. Simulynas shares with his wife, according to police.

Ohhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Boy he's in deep shit now.

Gee, I feel safer already. [hmmm]

I can't imagine what the laws will be like when I'm 70. [crying]

The founders are rolling over in their graves. [sad2]

Police went to the home Thursday after Paul D. Mateiko, 54, of 184 Highland St., Worcester, told Worcester police he had stolen a German-built MG34 machine gun from Mr. Simulynas.
And just wait until:Anthony Simulynas, 72, of 394 Rochdale St. starts talking about from whom he acquired what he owns. Next!
Got Guns? Store them to the letter of the law or risk becoming a part of this chain reaction.
Best Regards.

Are the words "infernal machine" actually a part of Massachusetts law?

I think the term actually comes from the Wild, Wild West TV show. Dr. Loveless was always plotting to destroy the western world with a giant tuning fork, or an infernal machine of some kind. Invariably, his sinister machinations were thwarted by the able James West and Artemus Gordon.

I'm really confused. So, one guy steals a machine gun from another and then calls the police on that other guy? What? Maybe the article is just badly written or something.

I'm really confused. So, one guy steals a machine gun from another and then calls the police on that other guy? What? Maybe the article is just badly written or something.

He told them he stole the MG from the other guy.

That other guy has his LTC and Dealer's license revoked 10 years ago, thus the rest of his firearms are not legally owned.

So Mr S had some illegally possessed guns, at least one of which Mr. M stole?

I wonder if the reaction of LE would have been less judgmental if Mr M had all the stolen weapons in proper storage containers...

He told them he stole the MG from the other guy.

That's why I am confused. Who would call up the police and admit he stole something, and not just any old something but a gun that was also stolen? So, he admits to both theft as well as possession of stolen property.

Is the town of Auburn dumping stupid juice into the water supply or something?

That's why I am confused. Who would call up the police and admit he stole something, and not just any old something but a gun that was also stolen? So, he admits to both theft as well as possession of stolen property.

Is the town of Auburn dumping stupid juice into the water supply or something?

He didn't call the police to tell them he stole the MG.

He was caught with it and some other stuff a week or two ago. There was a thread about it here.

Ohhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Boy he's in deep shit now.

Yes, thankfully every time I see someone with illegal guns in Mass. charged with this, it gets dismissed or plead out, yet when someone with an LTC gets caught, all hell breaks loose for them.

And just wait until:Anthony Simulynas, 72, of 394 Rochdale St. starts talking about from whom he acquired what he owns. Next!
Got Guns? Store them to the letter of the law or risk becoming a part of this chain reaction.
Best Regards.

Yup. If I had an FA-10 with this guys name on it in my history anywhere I'd put a trigger lock on every gun in the safe and put an attorney on retainer. Or maybe I'd call the cops so they could run it to see if it's stolen...

Are the words "infernal machine" actually a part of Massachusetts law?

Oh yes they are. And it's a 10 year felony.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/266-102a.htm

Sounds like he was trying to talk his way out of the "possession of a machine gun" charge by revealing it "true owner".

"I didn't commit the crime, this criminal did. I stole it from him after he committed the crime. If he didn't have it for me to steal in the first place, this never would have happened."

Conclusion? Guns do in fact cause crime. Ban more of them. [rolleyes]

What I can't figure out is how someone got illegal guns. That's just not possible.

shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years or in jail for not more than two and one half years

What's the difference between "state prison" and "jail"? And why is one so much worse than the other?

All I can add is that, at 72, I'm not going to have 800 pounds of ammo lying around. No way, after 50 I figure I'm not carrying more than a few days surplus. 800 pounds is past optimistic and into silly at that age.

What's the difference between "state prison" and "jail"? And why is one so much worse than the other?

Jail would be county jails, run by Sheriff's, like the Plymouth County House of Correction (http://www.pcsdma.org/). Most people do short stints in these places, or where they're held until trial. State prison would be a facility like MCI Walpole (http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...nt&f=doc_facility_mcicedarjunction&csid=Eeops), where serious criminals serve long sentences.

I really still believe that they assumed that the MG34 was a machine gun based on its evil look. "Wow that looks like a machine gun so it must be. Lets arrest him" I think that once the state tests this thing that the MG charges will get tossed.

Im also hoping that whoever wrote both search warrants based the probable cause on the presance of the MG34 "machine gun" and all subsequest "evidence" gets tossed. I don't know if were that lucky though....

I think the term actually comes from the Wild, Wild West TV show. Dr. Loveless was always plotting to destroy the western world with a giant tuning fork, or an infernal machine of some kind. Invariably, his sinister machinations were thwarted by the able James West and Artemus Gordon.

What does it say about MA politicians that they passed a law that bans something defined in a fanciful TV show that was frankly somewhat farcical?[thinking]

And how about that definition. Anything out of the ordinary can be considered an infernal machine if one can argue it is in any way dangerous.

Last edited:
What does it say about MA politicians that they passed a law that bans something defined in a fanciful TV show that was frankly somewhat farcical?[thinking]

And how about that definition. Anything out of the ordinary can be considered an infernal machine if one can argue it is in any way dangerous.

RICO is another area of law that's vaguely worded and has serious consequences.

All I can add is that, at 72, I'm not going to have 800 pounds of ammo lying around. No way, after 50 I figure I'm not carrying more than a few days surplus. 800 pounds is past optimistic and into silly at that age.

That's not a lot of ammo for a "Heavy Machine Gun".
You can burn through 800 pounds in a matter of minutes on full-auto.

Mass Law has always contained cryptic and confusing definitions.
I'm still trying to find one of those deadly and elusive "Zoobows".
[rofl]

What does it say about MA residents who keep electing people who write laws so vague as to describe anything they chose at some later time against anyone they don't like?

Looks like the roots of the Witch Trials run deep...[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom