Attorney General Tom Reilly

Just found out that our friend Attorney General Tom Reilly's term ends in 2006. I called his office and was transferred three times before someone would give me an answer. I am not sure if they were referring to the governer's race or attorney general's. Can anyone help me out with this. thanks

Chances are he's going to run for Gov. At least that's what I'm hearing. He could potentially run for both offices if he so chooses...unless the state deems that can't be done (I'm not up on election laws). One hopes that he'll go for Gov. and then be defeated.

He's going for Gov, and he actually stands a very good chance of winning . . . so we are in a world of trouble and on borrowed time. Make as many purchases as possible before the election, as the power of "Executive Orders" (EOs) are almost limitless. Ask any Notary Public what happened when Romney issued an EO 2 years ago!

Since I are one . . . [It goes hand-in-hand with being a Constable as occasionally you need to notarize subpoenas.]

You now must keep a bound log book, have the person sign it, put their personal ID info in the book every time, but they shouldn't be able to see anyone else's info (kinda difficult in a bound book, and mostly ignored), most all of us had to buy new seals that must be replaced every 7 years. The total cost for all the supplies doesn't equal what most any Notary makes over the 7 years. The fees we are allowed to charge are still ridiculous ($0.50 - 3.00 max IIRC). Since I don't notarize stuff for the public, I don't pay attention to the approved fees.

They also prohibited us from notarizing documents at real estate closings (apparently some were making serious money being "traveling notaries" doing this service), unless we work for a law-firm as a salaried employee (why should that make a diff?) . . . even if said employee is not an attorney.

Oh yes, attorneys that are notaries are exempt from the record keeping requirements! <DOH>

All this was done by Romney with EO418 and no legislative input!

Reilly has alreadly announced that he's running for governor. Lots of folks will likely be running for AG. I expect that Marsha Coakley will be near the front of the pack and I doubt she'll be friendly to us.

SiameseRat said:
Can I nominate Ross to run for AG?

Sure! Will you be my campaign manager? I mean, the nasty gun owner (that would be me) needs someone politically correct on his campaign, and a vegetarian from Somerville should do the trick! [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Ross

dwarven1 said:
SiameseRat said:

Sure! Will you be my campaign manager? I mean, the nasty gun owner (that would be me) needs someone politically correct on his campaign, and a vegetarian from Somerville should do the trick! [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Ross

Sign me up, we'll run on the "Gun Toting, Non-Meat Eating, Get Your Hands Off My Constitutional Rights Before You Get a Beating" Bill, ok?

On a serious note:

The DA of Middlesex County is the springboard for AG.

- Harshbarger,

- Reilly,

- Next Martha Coakley

I'm not kidding. Our DA investigated running for AG and decided against it. He also told me that the above was a very true statement. I think he added some prior names that do not come immediately to my mind.

As I see the situation right now, I'd say that Coakley and Reilly are shoe-ins to win the AG and Gov seats respectively. That is the realist in me talking. MA does NOT have a real Republican Party and won't be able to put up a viable candidate that could knock them out of the race. [Hell, they had to import Romney from Utah, and he's no prize!]

SiameseRat said:
dwarven1 said:
SiameseRat said:

Ross

Sign me up, we'll run on the "Gun Toting, Non-Meat Eating, Get Your Hands Off My Constitutional Rights Before You Get a Beating" Bill, ok?

Uh... well, yeah, but what happens when the voters find out that I'm a member of PETA? No, not that one... I belong to People Eating Tasty Animals.
Drooling.gif

Ross

M1911 said:
Today's Globe has an article about Coakley. It seems that many agree she is a shoe-in for AG.

There's still more than a year to go before the state Democratic Party nominates its candidate for attorney general, but as far as party officials can determine, the race is already wrapped up, and the nominee is Middlesex District Attorney Martha Coakley.

Full story here:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...ys_lead_in_ag_race_seems_to_defy_challengers/

Without reading the article . . .

Yup, that's how the system works.

Also when a strong challenger enters the race very, very early part of that strategy is to dissuade other potentially strong candidates from joining the fray.

When I spoke with my DA about the published rumors that he might run for AG, we spent an hour+ on the phone discussing how this whole "back room" process works as well as the advantages/disadvantages of being AG vs. DA. His conclusion (he had a "team" investigate the job and his prospects of winning) was that he actually has more power to accomplish things as DA than he would as AG (he follows the intent of the law, not trying to create it). He spent a lot of years in the legislature as a Rep and Sen, and he knows and respects how the system is supposed to run . . . not how it has been mis-managed by two AGs that we are not particularly fond of. BTW, Karen MacNutt (former Rep candidate for that job) also told me that the job itself is NOT supposed to be anything more than being the attorney for the state in prosecuting others or defending the state in lawsuits . . . they aren't supposed to make laws!

But, you can count on Martha to follow in her predecessors' footsteps . . . Harshbarger and Reilly . . . and make all sorts of "laws" against legal gun ownership.

C-pher said:
It just shows that vegetarians and non-vegetarians can get along quite nicely.

You can use that as some sort of slogan.

Like, "Meat's not just Murder anymore, it's also dinner."

OK that was funny. C-pher you can be Ross' running mate [lol]

Just so long as while you guys wear the "it's also dinner" t-shirt I can still hang out with you in my "Tofu: the other white meat" shirt... :p

Back
Top Bottom