• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Attorney General Maura Healey Issues Guidance on Bruen

She's got to navigate the Democratic Gubernatorial primary. She may be the "Law and Order" candidate and be attacked by the left!

Sonia Chang-Díaz, the only remaining Democratic challenger, dropped out of the race a week ago. While Chang-Diaz remains on the ballot, Healey is effectively running unopposed in the primary.

GOAL has the voice of authority and I'm interested in their statements no matter how many dupes.

This is something that I honestly never thought that I would see in this state. I've been an instructor for 25 years and have seen a lot of dirty tricks and subversion to restrict people's rights, especially the younger, the not rich and non white. The fact that a town depended on the whim of the local C.O.P. and the crap the people in the bigger cities have had to deal was unbelieveable.

I know we all have our little pet peeves about certain towns, but I hope every lawful citizen of age in Sharon and Sherborn gets their damn permit.

I don’t think she cares about them beyond the votes they can provide. Criminal=democrat. Minority=democrat. Gay=democrat.

She hates gun owners because they largely follow a different political ideology than her and she takes that as a personal attack on “the first openly gay AG.”

The quotes were her words. We are Nazis because we don’t fall in line with the LGBLT agenda.
She's an evil twat who just happens to be gay.
If she was straight as an arrow she would still be a twat.

Don't believe a word the a hole says! When she gets in as Governor she will make it impossible to get your LTC!!

So now we can live in any city or town in Massachusetts and get an unrestricted LTC and with no new unreasonable regulations added. Sorry but I refuse to believe this until I see the first few thousand unrestricted licenses issued in Boston, Woburn, Medford, and Lowell to name just a few towns. New York has already added new laws to make it much harder to get a gun license. So, what makes everyone think that they won't do the same thing in Massachusetts?

So now we can live in any city or town in Massachusetts and get an unrestricted LTC and with no new unreasonable regulations added. Sorry but I refuse to believe this until I see the first few thousand unrestricted licenses issued in Boston, Woburn, Medford, and Lowell to name just a few towns. New York has already added new laws to make it much harder to get a gun license. So, what makes everyone think that they won't do the same thing in Massachusetts?
Nothing any court rules on will change a damn thing.

The steps I had to go through getting my license in Norwood MA 1988, keep in mind I graduated high school there, owned a home and at 27 was gainfully employed:

Drop by the police station Saturday to pick up an application, I was informed they only handed them out Tues and Thurs 10-2
Drop by Tuesday, taking time off of work, to pick up my app, but they were 'out', told them to put one aside for me and I'll be back next tuesday
Called Monday to make sure they had one aside for me
Picked up app on Tuesday 10-2, again taking time off work
Fill out all, reason for license, write letter, show club membership, get 2 or 3 people to recommend
Drop off completed app, they were only accepted again Tues or Thurs 10-2
Wait for C.O.P. interview appointmet, call two weeks later, one set for one month after drop off again Tues or Thurs 10-2
Be nice to the C.O.P as he asks why I wanted a license, storage and a lot of other bullshit, I just play along. Told it could take 6 months, prints and picture taken
Drop by 4 months later, nope
Drop by 6 months and a day later, license is there and was just sitting there for 6 weeks but they didn't call me to notify
License reason for issuance: Target and Hunting, nice big RESTRICTED stamp in red on one side
Total time 7-8 months, lots of bullsh!t, joined GOAL and NRA

Got my first license in 96
Process was walk into Westport PD
Fill out the application and take fingerprints
Their automatic inking machine broke while taking my prints so I offered to fix/clean it right there.
While I repaired it they ran my background check.
By the time I put the thing back together my LTC was printed and laminated.

Things have gone downhill since.

View attachment 632684

Attorney General Maura Healey Issues Guidance on Bruen

Surprisingly, AG Maura Healey released some guidance to law enforcement and the licensing system as a whole concerning last week’s landmark Second Amendment civil rights decision New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen.

It appears she has changed course and is, at least in part, capitulating and correcting some of the injustices the 2A community has faced for decades. Among these are:

“Licensing authorities should cease enforcement of the “good reason” provision of the license-to-carry statute in response to Bruen. Authorities should no longer deny, or impose restrictions on, a license to carry because the applicant lacks a sufficiently good reason to carry a firearm. An applicant who is neither a “prohibited person” or “unsuitable” must be issued an unrestricted license to carry.”

We do not believe that this guidance covers the entirety of the decision, whether legally or in the spirit of it. We will continue to review it and respond accordingly if needed.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/ago-eopss-ltc-guidance/download
Then why will they still ask it !!! it needs to be gone from the form.

I know we all have our little pet peeves about certain towns, but I hope every lawful citizen of age in Sharon and Sherborn gets their damn permit.
Sharon is ~80% dyed in the wool Dem, anti-gun people, anti-business, anti-everything except "feels". So realistically very few care about a gun license and even fewer care about 2A. I lived there for >40 yrs and held a number of appointed positions. I was legislative chairman and GOAL rep for Sharon F&G for 14 yrs in the 1980s-90s and only ~5 members there cared about 2A, they were almost all bullseye, skeet/trap shooters and didn't care about anything/anyone else. From 2014 to last year, I was fairly friendly with the police brass and although they dragged their feet about processing LTCs, they weren't ogres about it. The current chief I only knew from one dealing with him as a teenager and he was a respectful kid. I've been out of the town now for 3 years, so no idea what is happening or how they are treating applicants.
The steps I had to go through getting my license in Norwood MA 1988, keep in mind I graduated high school there, owned a home and at 27 was gainfully employed:
Norwood for the longest time was brutal. However, the current chief is a very reasonable person and not anti-gun. He was one of my instructors in the police academy back in the 1980s and I've talked with him a handful of times over the years. He actually testified at a CMR hearing that the police didn't want that CMR . . . which would have shutdown firearms training, shooting matches, etc.

It appears she has changed course and is, at least in part, capitulating and correcting some of the injustices the 2A community has faced for decades.

I read this as: "Healy wants to start arming the Left..." [rolleyes]

Since 1982 I had to put up with the bull sh^t that the Boston police would give you to get a firearms licence.
I do have to say one thing the last two times that I renewed my LTC in Boston I was treated very well.

My MA Non-resident LTC is many years expired, after they told me that frequent visits to industrial areas in BOS and nearby environs after normal working hours with expensive test equipment was no longer ‘cause’ for issueing an LTC. The interviewer said BOS and those nearby cities were no longer considered higher-risk locales and let me withdraw my application rather than deny it, so I’d have no denial on my record.

My solution was years in the making - I resigned my job in BOS and retired. I don’t anticipate reciprocity or an easier Non-Res LTC process anytime soon…but don’t expect to go to BOS anymore.

My MA Non-resident LTC is many years expired, after they told me that frequent visits to industrial areas in BOS and nearby environs after normal working hours with expensive test equipment was no longer ‘cause’ for issueing an LTC. The interviewer said BOS and those nearby cities were no longer considered higher-risk locales and let me withdraw my application rather than deny it, so I’d have no denial on my record.

My solution was years in the making - I resigned my job in BOS and retired. I don’t anticipate reciprocity or an easier Non-Res LTC process anytime soon…but don’t expect to go to BOS anymore.
It will be, and probably already is, easier to get a non-res LTC issued unrestricted, though the process of obtaining still has the same hoops.

Healey has already given direction that reason for issuance should no longer be used to limit or reject an LTC. I expect that the commonwealth is already following that recommendation. In your case, you were denied because they decided your reason for issuance was not sufficient, so under the new guidelines you would likely be approved.

It will be, and probably already is, easier to get a non-res LTC issued unrestricted, though the process of obtaining still has the same hoops.

It’s not clear to me they even do formal interviews anymore for non-res. They just confirm your application info, fingerprint you and send you on your way. LTC takes a few weeks after that. During the pandemic it was like a six month process. Maybe it matters if you were long time resident unrestricted LTC holder.

it would almost be worth it to move to Boston and start this process. (well, not for me as I have decided to boycott MA entirely) Or better yet, find someone who is currently applying and about to be issued an LTC from there and see if it comes out with Restrictions:NONE

it would almost be worth it to move to Boston and start this process. (well, not for me as I have decided to boycott MA entirely) Or better yet, find someone who is currently applying and about to be issued an LTC from there and see if it comes out with Restrictions:NONE
I have less than zero reason to move back to MA. In fact I don’t even want to think about driving down.
I find it interesting that everything I did for my non resident pistol/CC permits for NH and ME was all done thru the mail yet as a 40 year LTC holder in MA they would have me jumping thru hoops.
FU Mass. I’ll save the hundred for something a lot more fun.

I have less than zero reason to move back to MA. In fact I don’t even want to think about driving down.
I find it interesting that everything I did for my non resident pistol/CC permits for NH and ME was all done thru the mail yet as a 40 year LTC holder in MA they would have me jumping thru hoops.
FU Mass. I’ll save the hundred for something a lot more fun.
I know the feeling. Once I left that craphole I wanted nothing to do with it.

I wonder if she will be as accommodating to the other cases related to safe handgun rosters, magazine bans and AWB's when they come down the pike..

So i would assume anyone who has the dreaded "for hunting and target shooting" restriction printed on their LTC those are null and void

There is no good reason to move or go to or near Boston. I've lived here 50 plus years and have only gone to fly out when needed, and when my kids were younger go to a ballgame. That's it. Probably 20 times over the last 50 years at most.
Now that the kids are older and I do my best not to fly out of that shithole, my world ends at 495. I never go east of it. Its filled with scared sheep with masks on for the rest of their life.

There is no good reason to move or go to or near Boston.

LOL ok. A very good reason is if you need very good medical care and the very good medical care is in Boston. Sometimes that is the difference between living and not.

Sometimes one needs to come down from the mountains and their little dumpy shack for services.

Back
Top Bottom