• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

attn leos: am i legal to carry?

boscru

NES Member
ltc -a restricted issued april 2012---approved for alp feb 2, 2013---updated card still hasnt arrived
state says im in the system as unrestricted---does the computer in your cruiser access the state record or do you go by my restricted ltc-a card in my pocket

thanx in advance

This isn't really a problem as:

-Most LEOs probably won't care, and any tthat do, you can simply explain the situation, and if they're not a total dick, it won't be a problem.

-Even if they tried to rat on you to the IA, it wont matter, because if the issuing authority says you are ALP/None then thats what you are, and they won't take action against you for violating the restriction. THEY are the only entity that can sanction you for it anyways, not the LEO on the street in some other town.

Carrying against a restriction is not an "arrestable" offense, as far as I know. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear info if I am. ) It's an administrative sanction that can only be levied by the issuing authority.

-Mike

Asking LEO's? Good luck, most legislate from the crusier seat (only second to our esteemed justices, who legislate from the bench). DrGrant FTW, I would think, in this case. Unless you get a dick. 93.79% of all cops are dicks in MA

and 77.47% of all statistics are made up :)

As others have already stated never turn to LEO for answers on what is legal... you will get different answers and more then likely the wrong answer as well.

By all means, do carry, in the interim and after you get the alp/none card. Think it through... When would a cop want to see your LTC? By then you probably have had to use your weapon.
No I'm not a cop.

I had dinner with a buddy last weekend and he was telling me about the safety course he had just taken. He then went on to inform me that laser sights were illegal in MA along with all "electronic sights". He refused to believe me when I contradicted him because the course had been taught by a state trooper and an environmental cop.

ltc -a restricted issued april 2012---approved for alp feb 2, 2013---updated card still hasnt arrived
state says im in the system as unrestricted---does the computer in your cruiser access the state record or do you go by my restricted ltc-a card in my pocket

thanx in advance

If I'm reading correctly, pretty sure its a straight question. Does my cruiser computer tell m the status of your license. No. So here's two things about that. 1 When we check papers on a person, our Dispatch will tell us if they have an FID issued to them. I BELIEVE this my only be if it's issued from our city. So let me give an example to make it crystal clear (then if any LEOs want to chime in and correct or say what their dept. does go for it.)

You live in my city. You get pulled over. Your carrying. You give me license that is restricted. You state that it's unlawful but don't have the new license. I radio Dispatch and they check the computer to see if you've been issued one. They tell me. I let you go have a good day, nice gun.

Thats a very simplistic example. Again, the computer in my cruiser doesn't just tell me if you have a LTC and whether it's restricted or unrestricted. AND, not every cruiser in my city even has a computer. So if we don't have a magic box to research, then we have to go by Dispatch and your word. So just be careful is all I can say. I doubt anyone would jam you up for the hell of it, but just be decent to them, explain the deal to them.

I had dinner with a buddy last weekend and he was telling me about the safety course he had just taken. He then went on to inform me that laser sights were illegal in MA along with all "electronic sights". He refused to believe me when I contradicted him because the course had been taught by a state trooper and an environmental cop.
Yup. The laser would blind *children* when they point the muzzle backward!

is the LTC even the same number? were you issued a new LTC-A restrictions:none and getting a new number, much like a renewal? or just a change on existing and the LTC being reprinted much like a lost LTC.

and perhaps contact your LO to see why its not in yet, my last LTC had a misprint ( DOB ) I called him on a Tuesday and had a reprint/corrected LTC following Monday. YMMV and that was 3 years ago before all the recent spike but if the state has you as ALP, where is it..??

You should not be asking any LEO about the law. They cannot provide any binding legal advice to you on any legal topic whatsoever. They enforce the law as best understood by them. To say to a judge "my local LEO told me it was okay" will get you some snickers and some laughing but that is about it.

To be prudent, you should be able to provide some objective evidence (not I was told by...) in the event the need arises. The card with no restrictions would be that evidence. Until you get that, there is open risk.

Carrying against a restriction is not an "arrestable" offense, as far as I know. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear info if I am. ) It's an administrative sanction that can only be levied by the issuing authority.

-Mike

A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131

I dunno if the "otherwise provided" means the issuing authority may just say don't worry about it... But this is the POSSIBLE punishment.

Mike

This is the crap that just drives me batshit crazy. How could any of this be misconstrued?

I don't believe something that carries no possibility of imprisonment is a felony. Quick google says 1 year of imprisonment in a state fun house.

Mike

This is exactly why I created the MA Gun Law Seminar!! The stupidity spewed by the ignorant (and I'm NOT referring to IGWT or his buddy here) is legion!

is the LTC even the same number? were you issued a new LTC-A restrictions:none and getting a new number, much like a renewal? or just a change on existing and the LTC being reprinted much like a lost LTC.

and perhaps contact your LO to see why its not in yet, my last LTC had a misprint ( DOB ) I called him on a Tuesday and had a reprint/corrected LTC following Monday. YMMV and that was 3 years ago before all the recent spike but if the state has you as ALP, where is it..??

Same number, same expiration date. Only the restriction is changed.

This is the crap that just drives me batshit crazy. How could any of this be misconstrued?

Not "mis-construed". Many in LE confuse "I wish this was the law" with "this is the law". [rolleyes]

Some of the fear mongering here is unbelievable. Do you people really live in fear like this every day? Don't blame MA. You're the one's who choose to live that way.

First of all, the OP is asking LEOs because he wants to know what they think. They will be the people pulling him over.
Secondly, if the computer says he's good to go then he is licensed as ALP. His card doesn't matter. (i'm not stating this as a matter of law, I'm stating this as a practical matter) Why would a LEO hang you up for that? As has been stated earlier in this thread it's the home town COP that matters and he knows what you've got.

#WINNING!

I will say I know more people who carry on their restricted licenses than don't. Not that you should do that.

Honestly unless you kill a hooker or worse piss of an ex-wife you should relax a little.

Mike

First of all, the OP is asking LEOs because he wants to know what they think. They will be the people pulling him over.

What an LEO thinks is not relevant to the analysis. They can think whatever they want, and it is immaterial.

Here is how this situation will go down...MA serf with ALP but card that says restrictions is pulled over. LEO sees card with restrictions and CCW and arrests him. Takes him to popo station where it will eventually get sorted out. Nonetheless, he has had to be detained, deal with the detention and now has something out there that a COP can use, if he so chooses, to deny him ALP in the future.

Issue avoidance is always easier than issue mitigation. The issue shouldn't exist at all, but it does.

Perhaps the local popo can print out his listing in the system and give it to him so he can avoid the mess above.

[rofl]IMA in trouble again. Too bad I will not comply.

Back
Top Bottom