Attn 1911 build experts; grip safety issue

jim/boston

NES Member
This is my 2nd build; first was a Govt 1911 on a Remsport frame. It went smoothly and weapon operated flawlessly. Just started fitting/assembly of my Remsport Commander frame with a used Colt slide/ parts bag. The only fitting I've run into has been the slide/frame rail interface and with about two hours of lapping compound (and a bit of elbow grease) it was brought to a nice smooth fit. I assembled the sear and disconnector, the hammer, spring, and mainspring housing. I put the grip safety on the frame loosely (without inserting the safety selector). The hammer cocks and the trigger releases the hammer (I did not let the hammer smack the frame BTW). I tested the disconnector and it works as it should. But, if I pull the trigger the hammer will drop whether I squeeze the grip safety or not. When I insert the safety selector, the hammer will not drop..it feels as if the safety is 'on' regardless of position (yes, I am squeezing the grip safety). I disassembled and reassembled, checking for proper assembly. Same issue. I'm stumped...What does the hive think?
I may pull a few parts off the Gov't 1911 and try a swap..I think most parts interchange.
thanks, jim

Sounds like the trigger stop on the grip safety needs to be looked at. The grip safety pivots on the the safety selector pin effectively moving the trigger stop up out of the way of the trigger bow when squeezed. On your initial "loose" fit without the safety selector, squeezing the grip safety moves it in and out and leaving a good margin for vertical misalignment such that it would not contact the trigger bow at all.; essentially allowing the trigger bow to move back enough to contact the disconnector. When you inserted the safety selector, the grip safety can now pivot around the pin as it was intended. If the grip safety is not fit properly, it is a good possibility that it is not moving out of the way enough so that the trigger can move rearward at all. Hence your observation that the safety is always on.

Changing to a different grip safety may or may not change anything. If you look inside the frame from the hole under the grip panel or perhaps from the mag well, you should be able to see whether or not the trigger stop is clearing properly.

For a good illustration of this, take a look at Kunhausen's 1911 Shop Manual Volume II, pg. 36.

Good Luck!

In the course of my hectic schedule I never got back to report the outcome...Kevin was dead on correct and a bit of fitting of the grip safety solved the problem. I've shot it several times and it worked flawlessly. Thanks again for all the advice and help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom