• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Attitudes towards firearms in other states

kimmie1911

NES Member
O.K. - I'll admit it - I love Steven Seagal. And I know his show is staged. But I can't help but be amazed at the seemingly positive attitude towards gun owners that is portrayed on this show. Numerous episodes have shown them stopping folks with guns. Running the info on the gun, and then happily returning it to the owner. On the last episode, some senior citizen shot a man, who was in his home and threatening his daughter. The amazing thing to me was that after carting the bad guy off to the hospital with a bullet in his stomach - they determined it was self defense and handed the gun back to the owner. Living in this state - I'm saying - no way. But.....
Does this really happen in other states????

Yes, it does really happen...

Most of the rest of the US is not contaminated with the anti gun BS that the half dozen or so commie states are. Places like MA are the exception rather than the rule.

It even transcends political lines, too. Dems in "real america" are also far more likely to own guns.

-Mike

Yes. It IS that way.

Caveat, even in free america you will run into anti gun cops, mayors, etc. The big difference is that the laws here are stacked against them and they are well and truly hobbled about what they can do.

For example, in my home state (Ohio) there is:

No license of ANY sort required to purchase, own, possess, transport unloaded, or lawfully use any type of non-NFA firearm.

No assault weapon ban.

No magazine capacity limits

No discretionary licensing for concealed carry. Sheriffs issue LTCs here and they have no discretion in the matter. You are either statutorily disqualified or not. If you are not disqualified and provide any of the several forms of training certification set forth in state law, the Sheriff HAS to issue you a license.

No legal storage requirements. Store your guns any way you see fit. You are responsible for any accidental or negligent shootings that happen as a result.

Municipalities are powerless to enact or enforce their own gun control ordinances.

Open carry is a constitutional right.

People are statutorily barred from recovering tort damages for any injury or death received during the commision of a crime. So if you kill someone and it's a good shoot, the estate and relatives can sue but the case won't go far.

The law presumes that anyone unlawfully entering an occupied home or motor vehicle is doing so to cause death or severe injury. Guess what that means from the point of view of the person defending his home?

Cops, at least around where I live, are at worst indifferent about legal guns. And even though in Ohio you have to disclose to the cop if you are armed during an official encounter, I have been treated with respect and courtesy the few times I've come across the law for traffic issues. I have never been proned out, never had my pistol taken, and only once did the officer even want to see my license. The two other times I was told "OK thanks for telling me" and that was that.

OTOH, there are a few more restrictions on where you can CCW in most free states. Depending on the penalty, you may or may not decide to follow some or all of them.

Municipalities are powerless to enact or enforce their own gun control ordinances.

I believe there's a lawsuit going on right now where Cleveland is trying to claim that they can in fact do this, no? I even heard that some of the laws they are trying to enforce include an outright ban on shotguns, is that right? No open carry, either?

Cleveland fights for its gun laws before top Ohio court:

Cleveland has about a half dozen firearm provisions that are stricter than the state law. For example, every firearm in the city must be registered, no one can openly carry a gun and assault rifles and shotguns are banned -- all of which run contrary to Ohio's uniform gun law.

Heh.. when I lived down south the local Sheriff called me a p**sy for worrying about the AWB.

"Hell naw, I'm not enforcing that commie BS!"

If every gun owner in the state starting open carrying in MA, I'm pretty sure they would have a hard time doing something about it. National media attention, the pro-gun organizations would throw every cent at it if the state tried lawsuits. Treat it like a civil rights case, and boom. I could see it working, I can't see the state locking up how man owners? I can see the state not knowing what the hell to do.

the national guard would be busy

I know, "securing the public menace".

I'm just curious as to why we haven't tried yet. I mean, a hundred demonstrators is one thing, but a statewide show of open carry....it would be damn hard for the left wing politicians to touch that without a political inferno up their ass from the pro-gun groups. DC vs heller was big, but a case state vs a ton of people would probably spell a political hydrogen bomb.

If every gun owner in the state starting open carrying in MA, I'm pretty sure they would have a hard time doing something about it. National media attention, the pro-gun organizations would throw every cent at it if the state tried lawsuits. Treat it like a civil rights case, and boom. I could see it working, I can't see the state locking up how man owners? I can see the state not knowing what the hell to do.

Yea.. it does not work that way. How many people do you know willing to do YEARS of APJT to make their point about having the right to carry a gun? It is the same thing as tax protesters... they don't have to get everyone, just a couple and harshly. The rest of the flock will fall into line every time as well as condemn the ones that stood up in the first place. Look how many times someone on this very board has said "well, they did break the law.. *I* have to get permission to own a gun, so should they! Fry them!"

That is why liberalism/progressivism won. They don't eat their own.

Yea.. it does not work that way. How many people do you know willing to do YEARS of APJT to make their point about having the right to carry a gun? It is the same thing as tax protesters... they don't have to get everyone, just a couple and harshly. The rest of the flock will fall into line every time as well as condemn the ones that stood up in the first place. Look how many times someone on this very board has said "well, they did break the law.. *I* have to get permission to own a gun, so should they! Fry them!"

That is why liberalism/progressivism won. They don't eat their own.

I don't know if it would work that way, I mean....there is no law against open carry....and as long as it was well documented, footage, lawyers present at the VERY LARGE demonstration, permits, and all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted....I can't see them being able to do anything about it without a complete backlash and a shitload of money tossed in our direction from the nra. I mean, you say who will be willing to do something....well somebody does, or we're going to be on nes complaining about the laws until we're wearing depens diapers and wearing denchers.

I don't know if it would work that way, I mean....there is no law against open carry....and as long as it was well documented, footage, lawyers present at the VERY LARGE demonstration, permits, and all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted....I can't see them being able to do anything about it without a complete backlash and a shitload of money tossed in our direction from the nra. I mean, you say who will be willing to do something....well somebody does, or we're going to be on nes complaining about the laws until we're wearing depens diapers and wearing denchers.

I'm convinced. Go for it, what's the worse that could happen? I will throw in $100 for your legal bills if it does not go well. (BTW, I would not bank on the NRA to save you on that one. GOA or JPFO maybe, but NRA would not touch that one)

I'm convinced. Go for it, what's the worse that could happen? I will throw in $100 for your legal bills if it does not go well. (BTW, I would not bank on the NRA to save you on that one. GOA or JPFO maybe, but NRA would not touch that one)

I agree, the nra wouldn't have my back, or anyone's back for that matter. I'm not sure why boston isn't on their list of target cities. I'm curious is goal would help.

I believe there's a lawsuit going on right now where Cleveland is trying to claim that they can in fact do this, no? I even heard that some of the laws they are trying to enforce include an outright ban on shotguns, is that right? No open carry, either?

Cleveland fights for its gun laws before top Ohio court:
There is a lawsuit and they will lose.

The town of Clyde lost on CCW which is a much newer concept here than outright ownership. Cleveland will lose big.

Washington is pretty much the same way as Ohio with the exception of open carry, which is a little dicey depending on what you're carrying and where you are in the state.
In Yakima or Spokane or any of the eastern WA cities you can open carry everywhere with no legal troubles. In Seattle or Mercer Island it's another story. You can certainly carry a holstered pistol, (expect police to be called, show up and ask you some questions, YMMV) BUT....there was a case not that long ago where a guy carried an AR around to make a point and was charged with brandishing. The case went all the way to the state supreme court and the conviction was upheld based on ht e fact that he had a full mag inserted in the weapon. Open Carry in major metropolitan areas for the most part is going to be problematic in most states in my experience.

Don't forget about that jackass in WA when he was open carrying a little while ago. Still though, the difference between how the cop handled it and how it would have been handled in MA is huge.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Just about every state you don't need a license to purchase, own, possess. Most you do need a permit if you want to carry.

I grew up in the South. I really do think that EVERYONE owns, has owned, or shoots. When I took my wife to Kentucky for a furneral...she found herself AMAZED at the local breakfast place.

We were sitting at our table...she starts to elbow me. I look over to her to find out what she wants. She tells me that there's a gun on the table next to us.

I look over and it's a table full of old timers. They have a NAA .22 and a Snubby .38 sitting on the table. They were talking about which is the better carry gun. Mind you, it was a big place, packed, and there was a wait. NOT ONE PERSON other than my wife thought twice about that.

When we go back home to TN to visit my Mom. All my friends shoot and/or carry. It was an eye opener for my wife, as she's spent her whole life up here...and until she met me hasn't really been exposed to firearms. Hell, most of my mom's friends all have full auto. They think that we're insane up here in New England...and I catch a lot of grief when I go back home about how it is up here.

Yes, the attitude toward guns are MUCH different it other parts of the country than they are up here.

It really is different. At first, it was very odd to me that I could tell someone I owned guns and not frighten them like in Mass. Sometimes it's an awkward adjustment to make, but boy am I glad I'm making it.

It really is different. At first, it was very odd to me that I could tell someone I owned guns and not frighten them like in Mass. Sometimes it's an awkward adjustment to make, but boy am I glad I'm making it.

Yup, some 30 years ago I went on one (of several) interview at TI in Lubbock TX (a real armpit of a city). One of the managers who interviewed me had Shotgun News sitting on his desk . . . we had an interesting discussion about shooting there (I wasn't happy about the answer . . . just shoot across a field with no backstop for miles . . . there were roads/paths crossing where you'd be firing). Safety issues concerned me, but at least the conversation was cordial about firearms.

We used to shoot across the flatlands in KY when I was a kid on my Grandfathers Farm. He just made us aware of the neighbor's property as he didn't want us to accidentally shoot their livestock. Though, he had several hundred acres of farmland. But we didn't have backstops...I just had a stick in the ground with a pop can hanging on it to plink at.

We used to shoot across the flatlands in KY when I was a kid on my Grandfathers Farm. He just made us aware of the neighbor's property as he didn't want us to accidentally shoot their livestock. Though, he had several hundred acres of farmland. But we didn't have backstops...I just had a stick in the ground with a pop can hanging on it to plink at.
I think people in NewEngland don't have a feel for the open space in some areas...

Even in MA/NH there are places that it is perfectly safe to shoot, but there are plenty of places it isn't and down south things are just further apart in most places...

It's like people who are lactose intolerant that suggest that no one should or can consume milk...

Frankly, in most other places in this nation the attitude towards firearms is not only more relaxed, it's healthier and safer as well. People grow up with more exposure to the "common sense" of firearms. Sure there are people who grow up around idiots and become complacent, but more often than not, this is not the case.

I see more dangerous behavior from inexperience of adults up here than I ever saw from irresponsible adults (or kids) down there...

I'm just curious as to why we haven't tried yet. I mean, a hundred demonstrators is one thing, but a statewide show of open carry....it would be damn hard for the left wing politicians to touch that without a political inferno up their ass from the pro-gun groups. DC vs heller was big, but a case state vs a ton of people would probably spell a political hydrogen bomb.

OK, you go first.

I'm from PA originally, and it really is a different world. And I'm from the Philly burbs too, not out in the middle of nowhere.

I think people in NewEngland don't have a feel for the open space in some areas...

Even in MA/NH there are places that it is perfectly safe to shoot, but there are plenty of places it isn't and down south things are just further apart in most places...

It's like people who are lactose intolerant that suggest that no one should or can consume milk...

Frankly, in most other places in this nation the attitude towards firearms is not only more relaxed, it's healthier and safer as well. People grow up with more exposure to the "common sense" of firearms. Sure there are people who grow up around idiots and become complacent, but more often than not, this is not the case.

I see more dangerous behavior from inexperience of adults up here than I ever saw from irresponsible adults (or kids) down there...

This.

Back
Top Bottom