1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Attention Microsoft fan boys

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RHJJ, Aug 22, 2014.

1. RHJJ

RHJJ

1 person likes this.
  2. Lcstyle

Lcstyle

what is it with these ****ING tiles based GUI's from microsl0th. LEAVE US THE F ALONE, we don't want your shitty tiles.

P.S.

Linus Torvalds says up yours too:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Wrench75

Wrench75

This. They can make as many new OSs as they want. I'll keep running vista. **** your tiles, I'll keep my icons and a nice organized desktop that doesn't make my eyes try to look in 6 directions at once.

4. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Vista?? Seriously?? Windows 7 at least corrected the problems Vista was saturated with.

I hope that MS has listened to people (like it's enterprise customers) and has a version where the tiles are NOT the primary interface. Give us a fully functional/complete 'start' menu at the very least. Give us an easy way to have the 'run' command on the start menu (again).

IMO, Windows 8 (haven't really given 8.1 much time/thought) is for tablets and/or touch screen systems. While you can regain the start menu with some cheap apps, we shouldn't have to do that.

Oh, and as for Server 2012... WTF??? I need to install CentOS 7 to see how it looks, but I'm willing to wager it's going to be more familiar than 2012 is (compared to 2008/2008 R2).

Still, as bad as things sometimes get from M$, it's not enough to get me to go back to a mac (or even contemplate it)...

1 person likes this.
  5. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Microsoft's plan is dominance - everyone will buy their products so they can have the same interface on their desktop; phone and tablet.

Microsoft operating systems are beginning to look like Star Trek movies - good-bad-good-bad-good......
    XP was great; Vista sucked; 7 was great; 8 sucks (and everyone would like to simply forget millenium edition)

6. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

I have XP and 7.

Doesn't 8 have an option to have a desktop though? I'm sure there is a way to bring 8 back to a classic view.....? Anyone know?

7. Royal

Royal

lol Vista.

8. admcd

admcd NES Member

If you press Windows Key + D it'll take you there.

Or you can download, like I did, the mods listed here and just not deal with it: http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7

It'll cost you $10 for the basic stuff (I don't care about the Aero theme, for instance, but wanted Window'd applications like Skype and a move away from those god damned tiles).

9. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

NICE! This means we will get to read about how much Dench hates it. I enjoy those threads, specially because I know thst he really likes Windows 8 but doesnt want to admit it.

10. browncoat

browncoat

Isn't windows 9 ditching tiles for the start menu? I for one like windows 8 and Linux about equally and hate os x

11. Night_solstice

Night_solstice NES Member

MS can bite me...been flooded with calls asking our upgrade plan...no plans to leave 7 or server 2008 until they pry it away...8 fine if a touch sceen (use a 3rd party to return start menu)...server 2012 is laughable...server os is best get in, do what you need to do, get out, not supposed to be a play area so why the pretty look that cripples it?? When they learn that for buiseness..KISS!!! Hell I know a lot of companies still running XP and Office 97. Just drop IE and even without the suport and patches its solid and does what you need.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

12. admcd

admcd NES Member

This is what I've heard. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

AM

13. CockedAndLocked

CockedAndLocked Banned

I'm so sick after 30 years of upgrading. Actually I miss the simplicity of DOS and the 8086.

Most of my machines are still running XP (sp3). When you say drop IE do you mean just stop using it or uninstall it. I thought IE is an integral part of the OS?

14. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

This. Why the hell would you even run Vista? Though, I'd still run XP if MS didn't keep throwing the god damn popup.

I'll probably be in Win 7 for years to come.

And as for 2012 server...yeah....I'll stick with 2008R2.

15. Night_solstice

Night_solstice NES Member

Just stop using it. I would love to at my place, but have 2 applications that MUST use it. I've spent a lot of time helping people move off of it that are stuck on XP onto Firefox or Chrome depending on their need. just change the default web browser from IE, and you remove the threat of lack of updates (IE has a set point that if you're not running 7, or 8, you can't install the newer versions. Firefox does not have that problem. (I personally have issues with Chrome...it's feeling more and more like Windows...it wants it's fingers in everything...Firefox doesn't give that vibe so far...)

16. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

More of our clients are upgrading their systems to server 2012.

I ****ING HATE METRO ON SERVER 2012. Especially when RDP'ed in. WHICH IS ALL THE DAMN TIME!

**** SERVER 2012.

Oh an none of the clients buy the addons so it is totally ****ed because you can't do anything quickly. All the admin tools are EVERY****INGWHERE in the metro interface. In 2008R2 it was ****ing simple.

[angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2]

17. ColdDayInHell

ColdDayInHell NES Member

This. 7 Ultimate has been nothing but perfect on my build. 8 is gayer than ntomsw [wink]

18. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

im sticking with DOS 6.1

windows 9, huh. Does it come with a big bottle of anal lube, or do you insert it dry?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  19. PreliatorX

PreliatorX

This. RDP sessions blow, especially when from a 2012 server... that looks identical, lets play... which server am I rebooting... OOPS! (Side note, if you regularly connect to a lot of the same servers check out https://terminals.codeplex.com/ also supports SSH, VNC, Telnet, etc...)

20. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Vista...wait...wut?

My troll detector went off.. I didn't even realize people installed that. Ever..

21. Dench

Dench

Looking forward to 9. It would be hard to be worse than 8.

22. Wrench75

Wrench75

I never said I installed it. It came on the new at the time, laptop. I was forced to use it. Essentially I was dragged, kicking and screaming, away from XP. Which I know better than the back of my hand. If it were up to me I would have never stopped using it. After all the time I spent working with XP I can literally do damn near anything I want on that OS with no monitor or mouse.

After being dragged from XP to this shitty OS the last thing I was going to do is spend money on another OS I just expect to be worse. I absolutely hate having to learn the quirks of a new OS and the changes to where all of the admin functions are located etc...

When I eventually get around to building a new tower I will probably try out 7. But since all my discretionary cash has been going in to guns and reloading it will be a while.

1 person likes this.
  23. NHAtHeart

NHAtHeart NES Member

I run CentOS 7 on my work laptop, it's amazing. Ran Centos6 for a year and didn't have any slowdown issues or garbage issues. Still worked as well after a year as it did when I first installed.

I do run a Winblows 7 VM to handle a few apps that I can't do on Linux that are mandatory. :-(

24. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Debain here.. Occasionally Ubuntu if I feel like playing with fire. Canonical has lost a lot of my faith...

Last gig was all a CentOS 6 shop.. I enjoy 6. 5 was zero fun in comparison..

25. NHAtHeart

NHAtHeart NES Member

I just started dabbling in 7 this week. Install was stupid easy, setup isn't too bad. Going to be some getting used to with SystemD and the new runlevel stuff.

26. MrScrewzloose

MrScrewzloose

Tails, except on my gaming rig and work machine.

27. FreeWillie

FreeWillie NES Member

I'm not happy until Dench is not happy....

28. Hellbound

Hellbound

I still run XP. I don't give a f*ck.

29. Dench

Dench

As long as the GUI is not an unfamiliar nightmare, I'll be happy. 8.1 Update whatever they are on now is not a bad OS, it's just a hot mess to navigate if you don't want to learn it or arent savvy with new UI's. Problem for MS is that most people either don't want to learn it or arent savvy with UI's.

Like when I did the old office test in my IT days with Windows 8. Only 1 employee out of 5 or 6 could shut windows down. Thats how unintuitive the OS was. Keep in mind all users where familiar with all prior Windows versions. That's bad. Enterprise is the bread and butter for Windows these days. The last thing MS needs is a UI that office drones don't know how to use.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  30. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

Which means your perpetually happy? Hopefully MS will not be stupid enough to discontinue support for 7.