Atlas bipods worth the $$ ?

Need a bipod for the Creedmoor rifle was talking about for scopes, for "bench" use. Atlas is what I had in mind, don't mind the $250 price ballpark. Just wondering if they are worth the $$.

Have an Atlas SCAL but got a Ckye Pod and just stuck with that moving it between rifles because it's more adjustable which is useful if you ever imagine yourself using a bipod in some really strange position.

Have an Atlas SCAL but got a Ckye Pod and just stuck with that moving it between rifles because it's more adjustable which is useful if you ever imagine yourself using a bipod in some really strange position.

Looks like a more expensive bipod, please explain how its better.

I do shoot in wierd positions at times, basically as good as it gets for me is a flat rock usually.

I would go for the Magpul. It accepts the Atlas feet if you like the metal spikes and want to swap later at less than half the starting price.

The Atlas is great. If you wanted to detach you bipod and beat someone to death with it, it's the only real choice.

For 95% of shooting the Magpul is great and lighter.

I’m in the market for an atlas myself but I’m specifically looking at the cal gen 2. The non rotating legs is what I’m after. Trying to load the Harris is a pain as it just wants to roll away on me.

I’m in the market for an atlas myself but I’m specifically looking at the cal gen 2. The non rotating legs is what I’m after. Trying to load the Harris is a pain as it just wants to roll away on me.

I was thinking a PSR after reading up, also non rotating, but the options are daunting. Why Cal versus PSR?

Need a bipod for the Creedmoor rifle was talking about for scopes, for "bench" use. Atlas is what I had in mind, don't mind the $250 price ballpark. Just wondering if they are worth the $$.

Always shoot prone. There is no "bench" in real life. I still prefer the Harris because you can pre-load the bipod which I can't do with the atlas or magpul. I also think the hawk hill talons are a must; even if you get an atlas and shoot off the bench. Atlas does not like sand or dirt anyway.

I would go for the Magpul. It accepts the Atlas feet if you like the metal spikes and want to swap later at less than half the starting price.

The Atlas is great. If you wanted to detach you bipod and beat someone to death with it, it's the only real choice.

For 95% of shooting the Magpul is great and lighter.

Thanks, saw those, may try one some day for sure. Also have a really fairly nice I want to say UTG on something else that is similarly very decent, leaves little to be desired even when rattled by .308 atop concrete. Just on this thing being an M5 with a 22 inch barrel and getting a scope that will weigh it down even more, weight is a non consideration. Gonna have probably $3500 into rifle & glass, probably no sense splitting hairs on the $300 bipod I figure.

Ive got the Atlas, and a few harris', honestly i much prefer the harris, i HATE the atlas traverse, if you get one get the new non traversing one. I came really, really close to throwing my atlas off a cliff one day bc i spent about $200 on hornady ELDM because i refused to believe there was something wrong with the gun and kept shooting it thinking i was being inconsistent, ended up being the stupid ass atlas was loose in its mount and the gun was jump under recoil. f*** that bipod.

Not a fan of the magpul.

The Ckyepods are super badass, all the PRS turbo nerds here use them.

I still prefer Harris. Quicker to deploy, quicker to get behind. I do have an Atlas, I don't think I would buy another one. If you are just shooting off a bench, you can shoot off your bag. Better yet grab a "Clede" bag, SUPPORT BAGS | warhorse-development . Practice shooting from various positions.

Good video showing how to use a bipod on concrete, or any smooth surface.

I spent $39 at Walmart for a Remington branded bipod. It looks about identical to a Harris that i have on another rifle.
Its rock solid and rugged.
I
How hard to you run it.
I have a cheap harris nock off on the kids 22. Its a POS with lite use its begining to fail.
Harris pivoting model i have is going on 10 years of moderate use and is holding up well.

Have used the atlas and as mentioned feels better when you lean into it.

theres probably better bipods for bench use. If your shooting from a bench often a very good front rest or sand bags would be better than a bipod......imho.

Heres about a starting point, rear bag and your set up for bench shooting for any rifle

As with anything , how much do you want to spend and what do you expect.
MODEL 1200 RIFLE REST

Last edited:
If you're looking at harris, look at the badger ordnance LPHM mounts, i use them on all my harris equipped guns, it eliminates the stupid harris linkage and really ties the room together. This is the best pic i can find.

Attachments

• 20210307_185041.jpg
    20210307_185041.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 22
Just to be clear, am rarely on a bench or table. Usually it's finding something natural I can set the bipod on and lay into. Occasionally I will use a folding table but it's a pain to get one stable on uneven ground. Occasionally I might use the hood off my truck (vehicles are not great precision rests though, they move due to the suspension).

Prefer not to be laying down if possible, basically can be wet and generates mess, will if I gotta, but it's never an actual bench or picnic table.

Just to be clear, am rarely on a bench or table. Usually it's finding something natural I can set the bipod on and lay into. Occasionally I will use a folding table but it's a pain to get one stable on uneven ground. Occasionally I might use the hood off my truck (vehicles are not great precision rests though, they move due to the suspension).

Prefer not to be laying down if possible, basically can be wet and generates mess, will if I gotta, but it's never an actual bench or picnic table.
Sounds like you should get a bag instead of a bipod then. Can just toss the bag on a rock, tree branch or whatever.

Bipods, especially Atlas bipods, have different heights for shooting from an object (bench, rock, hood) and prone and sitting shooting. You need, well, need's a bit extreme, let's say ideally want, a shorter bipod for shooting off an object and a longer bipod for shooting prone or sitting.

You can use a blanket or a shooting mat or even a coat to place between yourself and the ground when shooting prone. All depends on the circumstances.

If you're not shooting from prone and you're not shooting from an actual bench, I agree that you probably don't want a bipod. Especially something "expensive" like an Atlas. An Atlas is way too much money for shooting off a truck hood on a typical range day. An Atlas and similar such high end bipods are worth it for say competitive shooting or hunting, where there's actually something on the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bipods, especially Atlas bipods, have different heights for shooting from an object (bench, rock, hood) and prone and sitting shooting. You need, well, need's a bit extreme, let's say ideally want, a shorter bipod for shooting off an object and a longer bipod for shooting prone or sitting.

You can use a blanket or a shooting mat or even a coat to place between yourself and the ground when shooting prone. All depends on the circumstances.

If you're not shooting from prone and you're not shooting from an actual bench, I agree that you probably don't want a bipod. Especially something "expensive" like an Atlas. An Atlas is way too much money for shooting off a truck hood on a typical range day. An Atlas and similar such high end bipods are worth it for say competitive shooting or hunting, where there's actually something on the line.

Definitely prefer a bipod when it works. When it doesn't I have left it flipped up and rested on things. Doesn't hurt even when permanently attached. Also let's me set the rifle down anywhere without the scope hitting the surface, ie flip the bipod out and set the rifle down on the dirt and only the feet and tip of stock get dirty. I consider it mostly a must have, even if it was a cheaper version.

Height is absolutely an issue though, only so much adjustment there. Was going to go short, add extensions if I find a need or just put something under the feet. Usually I am trying to get the rifle low as possible so my body weight is supported and the pistol grip is nearly touching the surface.

Definitely prefer a bipod when it works. When it doesn't I have left it flipped up and rested on things. Doesn't hurt even when permanently attached. Also let's me set the rifle down anywhere without the scope hitting the surface, ie flip the bipod out and set the rifle down on the dirt and only the feet and tip of stock get dirty. I consider it mostly a must have, even if it was a cheaper version.

Height is absolutely an issue though, only so much adjustment there. Was going to go short, add extensions if I find a need or just put something under the feet. Usually I am trying to get the rifle low as possible so my body weight is supported and the pistol grip is nearly touching the surface.

If you're afraid of getting yourself or your gun dirty, I think you're in the wrong hobby. Maybe trap and skeet is more your style.

A bipod isn't a stowage tool, nor is it about keeping the gun off the ground. A bipod is about keeping the gun from moving. Human hands move, unlike a quality bipod. That's why bipods first originated on light machine guns like the Lewis Gun, Chauchat, etc.

A bipod like an Atlas is designed as a shooting aid, particularly for longer range shooting. Its not something you use to prop up a rifle with because you don't want it touching the ground. If you just want a prop, use a range bag or shooting mat.

If you're afraid of getting yourself or your gun dirty, I think you're in the wrong hobby. Maybe trap and skeet is more your style.

A bipod isn't a stowage tool, nor is it about keeping the gun off the ground. A bipod is about keeping the gun from moving. Human hands move, unlike a quality bipod. That's why bipods first originated on light machine guns like the Lewis Gun, Chauchat, etc.

A bipod like an Atlas is designed as a shooting aid, particularly for longer range shooting. Its not something you use to prop up a rifle with because you don't want it touching the ground. If you just want a prop, use a range bag or shooting mat.

Haha well I use it for shooting but like I said they have other benefits. Its not grass where I shoot, its dirt and at times its mud. I'm not scared of dirt and mud but nobody likes that shit on them either :)..

A bag is fine (or my rubber rests when they work too) but is just another thing to lug that gets shit on it if used in the dirt and isn't as good. When it works I much prefer a bipod.

if the $280 atlas model is a BT10 - it is model with rotating legs, you will not be able to preload it.
BT46 is the one with non-rotating legs, you need to pay attention to that in the description:
  • STABILIZATION – The Atlas bipods feature outer leg that does not rotate around inner leg and larger, stronger inner legs to ensure stability
View: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Accu-Shot-Atlas-Bipod-BT46-LW17/dp/B00R3OQQ7W
if you not sure - buy it either from amazon or other place where you will be able to return it. you need to pre-load bipod or make rubber feet pressed into something to prevent bipod from jumping. if on dirt you can dig a bit to put legs into the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom