Atlanta Police Fatally Shoot Black Man in the Back at Wendy's Drive-Thru

"It is our duty to second guess everything a cop does. I do not care if they are paranoid or feel undermined. Civil liberties and contitutional rights are so much more important than a cop feeling undermined. Theres a dead perp here, and you dont want to second guess the cops? That is insane."
I
If u want to second guess and dissect every move by a Cop be prepared for hesitant Cops who will refuse to do their jobs because of fear of retribution. Oh right we see this now with the violence in inner cities after a Cop kills a Black person. Remember the murder rates in Baltimore, ST. Louis, etc skyrocketed after the Freddie Gray, Michael Brown incidents.

He didn't just run away, he stole a Cops tazer and turned and fired it at him.

I know, which is why I said that...

[/quote]The perp initiated the violent encounter with the Cop and paid the ultimate price for a stupid decision. One more time, don't run from the Cops, don't fight with a Cop, don't resist arrest and you can take your case to court. Do any of the previously mentioned actions and all bets are off.[/quote]

I'm also quite aware he's dead. This discussion is on whether or not he needed to be despite the very clear and obvious things he did that he shouldn't have. Surely someone trying to not be arrested for DUI doesn't warrant a death sentence, where there are no other possible alternatives?

Many yes ago stationed at FT.Devens and lived across from Gervais Ford. Decide to do a 10 miles road march. Packed my ruck, put on BDU's, tucked Glock inside waistband and headed out back gate. Walked on back road and came out on 2A next to shitbag trailer park. Head back towards Devens and out of the corner of my eye see this German Shepard bolt out of a trailer and head straight for me snarling and barking. He goes right for my lower legs and I'm kicking him and trying to drop my ruck so I don't go over backwards and allow Shepard to rip my throat out. I almost got hit by a car as I'm dancing and kicking the dog and trying to drop the ruck. Finally some bitch opens the door of the trailer and calls the dog back. I have bite marks on my boots and the dog finally retreats. I yell at the bitch if the dog ever attacks me I'll shoot it. Pick up my ruck and head towards Devens. 5 minutes later I hear sirens and see 2 Ayer PD cruisers heading towards me. They block traffic and 2 cops get out, level their pistols at me and tell me to turn around and walk backwards toward them. I tell them I need to drop ruck and they say no way, keep walking backwards. I get to the first cruiser and 2 more pull up completely blocking 2A. Now there are 4 cops with pistols and shotguns drawn down on my. I get to the cruiser and first cop tells me keep hands in air and he comes around and slams me onto hood of cruiser and cuffs me. He asks me where the gun is and I tell him. He's trying to get the Glock with my ruck on and now I'm worrying he'll shoot me by accident while disarming me. He finally gets the Glock, clears it and asks me what happened and asks for my LTC. I tell him where my wallet is and he takes it and goes back to cruiser. I'm still face down on the hood of his cruiser with a 55 lb ruck on. after 10 minutes he comes back and takes cuffs off, allows me to drop ruck, checks out my boots and tells the other cops to leave. Potential serious situation diffused because I did what I was told to do. I told him we eed to go back to trailer park but he tells me it's in Littleton and he can't do shit to the owners. Lesson learned

That's an interesting anecdote and a shame you were treated so poorly. Not sure what it has to do with this though. I suppose you are suggesting that despite having done nothing wrong to be treated that way in the first place, had you reacted wrongly they may have killed you. Which seems like a strong argument the cops were wrong.

If u want to second guess and dissect every move by a Cop be prepared for hesitant Cops who will refuse to do their jobs because of fear of retribution. Oh right we see this now with the violence in inner cities after a Cop kills a Black person. Remember the murder rates in Baltimore, ST. Louis, etc skyrocketed after the Freddie Gray, Michael Brown incidents.

Every move? He killed a guy. Do you really have such little value for human life you don't think we should even bother discussing whether killing someone is justified or not?

It's this precise viewpoint in why we are where we are right now. Literally thousands of dead bodies at the hands of police where this viewpoint prevailed has led to this moment in history. A month ago this cop would be enjoying a paid suspension. Instead, he's already been fired.

Cops use force to protect themselves and the public. If you're going to second guess every Cops decision you undermine their authority and their ability to think during a violent situation. Some Black lawyer is on FOX now claiming the Cops could have called the perp an Uber and tazer was not a deadly weapon. It is when you steal it from a cops belt and then try to use it on the Cop. PD issued a statement that all procedures were properly followed. Really, then why was the Cop fired?

I'm not trying to paint with too broad a brush nor am I naive enough to believe that all cops are good or bad.

But given the frequency with which citizens who've harmed no one end up dead/maimed/other its pretty clear that "Something" that a significant number of officers are doing ISNT working

"Policies" and "Procedures" that are in place are flawed if not utterly defective and are used to hide behind and cover up/explain away tragedies initiated by cops that f*** up/exercise crappy judgement

We need some form of the police.....but lets not pretend thats what is and has been going on for the last 30 plus years is making us safer or providing for a better/free-er society.

" hat's an interesting anecdote and a shame you were treated so poorly. Not sure what it has to do with this though. I suppose you are suggesting that despite having done nothing wrong to be treated that way in the first place, had you reacted wrongly they may have killed you. Which seems like a strong argument the cops were wrong."

Nope, not bitching about my treatment from the Cops, they followed procedure. Point is to stay calm and obey commands and you get to go home. If I refused to comply with Cops commands it would have gotten ugly. I could have dropped ruck and started arguing with Cop and told them to go get the bitch and dog that attacked me but I obeyed and the situation ended peacefully.

Administrative crime?? Driving Under the Influence is hardly an administrative crime. I have seen an awful lot of innocent people killed over the years by drivers in this state.

WHO did this guy hurt?

Who's property did he damage?

What car did he wreck?

The answer is NONE OF THE ABOVE

Thats an ADMINISTRATIVE CRIME....otherwise known as a Victimiless Crime

Next thing you know were gonna have officers cuffing/arresting people for NOT wearing a mask (Covid Crimes) when going into to the beach.....cuz someone COULD have gotten hurt/sick

1. Thayvone Santana - shot in head and killed by cop who then planted a knife
2. Daniel Shaver - shot and killed in hotel hallway while on hands and knees crawling
3. Justine Damond - killed by cop who reached across partner to shoot her through car window
4. Breonna Taylor - shot 8 times and killed in her bedroom by cops serving bogus no-knock warrant
5. Eric Garner - choked to death by cop for allegedly selling loose cigarettes
6. Rhogena Nicholas - shot twice and killed by cops serving illegal no-knock warrant
7. Dennis Tuttle - shot nine times and killed by cops serving illegal no-knock warrant
8. Botham Jean - shot and killed by cop while in own apartment
9. Atatania Jefferson - shot and killed in own home through outside window by cop
10. Akai Gurley - shot and killed in stairwell for no reason at all by a cop
11. Dick Tench - shot four times through window of on home by cop who then lied and said he opened the door and pointed a gun at him
12. Andy Huff - shot in the back through outside window while standing in own home
13. Alexis Resendez - shot in stomach while in hotel room by cop who ran past doorway blinding shooting
14. Arturo Galvan - shot several times and killed by police while climbing out hotel window after being incorrectly identified as a criminal suspect
15. Matthew Graves - shot twice in the back and killed after police followed him into a restaurant bathroom for jaywalking earlier
16. Randy Goodale - shot and killed by police while in stationary car, police lied and said he was ramming their cars with it
17. Charles Roundtree - shot and killed while in home by cop who never identified himself, not the intended target
18. Maggie Brooks - shot and killed by cop trying to shoot a dog
19. The 9-year-old girl in Kansas - shot by cop in own home while trying to shoot a dog
20. the 10-year-old boy in Georgia - shot by cop in own yard while trying to shoot a dog
21. Michael Dial - shot and killed by police after sheriff ordered him shot rather than risk damage to police vehicles
22. Philando Castile - shot seven times and killed for getting his wallet during traffic stop
23. Walter Scott - shot in back and killed, cop then planted taser
24. Ronald Williams - shot and killed by cop who had just arrived on scene while cop already on scene was trying to talk him down from suicide
25. Monroe Isadore - 107-year-old shot 32 times and killed by police in own bedroom, give themselves awards
26. Eugene Mallory - 80-year-old man shot six times and killed by police in own bed during illegal drug raid, lied about incident
27. Javier Gaona - shot and killed while holding knife to own throat because officers were scared
28. Charles Kinsley - shot while hands were up by cop trying to shoot another man who has autism and was playing with a toy truck
29. Marquintan Sandlin - shot eight times by police while sleeping in car
30. Kisha Michael - shot thirteen times by police while sleeping in car
31. Robert Rooker - shot seven times through windshield and killed
32. Jason Brady - shot in head and killed by cop "on accident", same cop who earlier killed Rooker
33. William Chapman - shot and killed with hands raised in a Wal-mart parking lot
34. Bobby Daniels - shot and killed by police while he was trying to stop his son from committing suicide, police lied, said he pointed the gun
35. Jose Guerena - shot twenty two times and killed in on home during police raid
36. Fridoon Nehad - shot while walking in an alleyway, police lied and said he tried to attack him with a knife
37. James Boyd - shot in the back six times and killed for camping while homeless
38. John Livingston - shot and killed by police after they kicked down his door without a warrant
39. David Kassick - shot in the back twice and killed while laying face down and being repeatedly tased
40. Melvin Bouler - 82-year-old man shot and killed while sitting in his car
41. Julian Betton - shot nine times in own home after plain clothed police broke down door without announcing and then lied about it
42. Andrew Finch - shot and killed for opening his front door by cop across the street
43. Hernan Jaramillo - killed by police after several cops sat/kneel on top of him while face down on ground, was not suspected of any crime
44. Freddy Centeno - shot seven times and killed while standing still holding a garden hose nozzle
45. Andrew Thomas - shot in neck while climbing out of vehicle after crash, cop lies about ever even shooting him
46. Dillon Taylor - shot from behind and killed while walking on sidewalk with earbuds in listening to music
47. Terence Crutcher - shot and killed with hands up
48. Jerame Reid - shot and killed with hands up
49. Jerry Smith Jr. - shot while complying with police commands because he was holding a cellphone.
50. Deven Guilford - shot and killed after being stopped for flashing his lights
51. Ricardo Zerferino - shot eight times and killed with hands out after calling police because he was the victim of a crime, police lie about the shooting
52. Lorenzo Clerkley - 14-year-old shot twice from by cop behind a fence while playing in his yard with bb gun, cop knew it wasn't real before shooting him
53. Dontrell Stephens - shot in back while holding cell phone
54. Gilbert Flores - shot and killed while standing still with hands in the air
55. Eric Harris - shot and killed by a reserve deputy who meant to use his taser

56. Zachary Hammond - shot in killed through driver window over a small amount of pot, police lied about incident
57. Jordan Edwards - teen shot in head and killed while in passenger seat of car, police lied about incident
58. Samantha Ramsey - teen shot four times and killed while driving away from a party
59. Patricia Cook - shot and killed through driver window of car, police lie about incident
60. Ramarley Graham - shot and killed in own home by police who broke into house without warrant
61. Andrew Lee Scott - shot and killed in own home after opening door, cops never identified themselves, were at wrong address
62. Jonathan Cuevas - shot mulitple times in the back, police lie about him having a gun
63. Jeremy McDole - paraplegic man shot ten times and killed while sitting in wheelchair
64. Ervin Edwards - killed while in holding cell after being tased continuously for over a minute, left on floor for 9 minutes without any medical assistance
65. Sam DuBose - shot in the head while sitting in car, cop then lied about being dragged
66. Laquan McDonald - shot 16 times while walking away from police, police attempted coverup
67. Sergio Valdovinos - shot eight times, twice in the back, and killed while undergoing mental health emergency
68. Aiyana Jones - 7-year-old girl shot in the head and killed in police raid of wrong house
69. Milton Hall - shot 14 times and killed while standing in parking lot surrounded by 8 cops
70. Dustin Theoharis - shot 16 times while in his bed, was not the subject of any investigation
71. John Wrana - 95-year-old man killed after being tased and shot with beanbag round while sitting in chair in nursing home
72. Christopher Roupe - teen shot and killed after answering door holding wii remote
73. Terrill Thomas - died of dehydration after being refused water for 7 days while in jail cell
74. Ismael Lopez - shot and killed when police raided wrong house
75. Howard Bowe - shot and killed by police illegally executing a search warrant
76. Eurie Stamps - shot in back and killed "accidentally" while prone and compliant in own home
77. David Hooks - shot in killed while police illegally served drug warrant that was fraudulently obtained, no drugs found
78. Kathryn Johnston - 92-year-old woman shot and killed by police during illegal raid, cops then planted drugs
79. Michael Funk - being held hostage, shot and killed by police while escaping, left in street 25+ mins, police then lied about incident
80. Tony Timpa - killed by police while detained in cuffs on his stomach while police laughed
81. Andrew Cornish - shot and killed by police illegally executing a warrant
82. Corey Jones - shot and killed by police while waiting for vehicle to be towed, cop lied about entire incident
83. Wayne Jones - shot 22 times and killed by police while laying motionless on the ground
84. Andy DeBusk - killed while restrained in police custody by serveral cops on top of him
85. Marcus Fischer - shot and killed while alone in police interagation room
86. Vachel Howard - killed while restrained in police custody
87. Carmen Mendez - 15-year-old shot and killed by officer who mag dumps into his back
88. David Glen Ward - head smashed, tased, choked and killed during illegal traffic stop
89. Isiah Murrietta-Golding - 16-year-old shot in the back of the head and killed, police covered incident up
90. Roy Nelson - killed while cuffed and in police custody
91. Jacobo Cedillo - killed while cuffed in police custody
92. Joel Johnson - special needs man shot by police while unarmed and asking for quarters
93. Danquirs Franklin - shot and killed while complying with police commands
94. Akira S. Lewis - "accidentally" shot in the head by cop who meant to use her taser while arresting him for a seat belt violation
95. Chris Howard - killed while left in holding cell after cops ignored doctors orders for immediate medical treatment, twice
96. Bradley Blackshire - shot numerous times and killed by officer who stepped in front of and then jumped onto hood of car
97. Armando Frank - choked to death while being illegally arrested on expired warrant
98. Stephon Clark - shot and killed while holding a cell phone in his grandmothers backyard
99. Charles Christopher McClure - shot and killed after already having dropped pipe having already been shot once
100. Dustin Pigeon - shot and killed by police while hands raised
101. Dawn Pfister - shot and killed after being held hostage and disarming her attacker
102. Jason Funke - shot in back while unarmed and completely naked
103. Kristin Biggs Johnson - shot in face while in drivers seat of car
104. Christian Redwine - shot 11 times and killed while driving away from officer, (two other passengers also shot)
105. Douglas Edminsten - died in jail while officers refused medical treatment
106. Fransico Serna - 73-year-old with dementia shot 9 times and killed by police
107. Loreal Tsingine - shot five times and killed, body left on sidewalk for hours
108. Eugene Ellison - shot and killed in own apartment after officers illegally entered without cause
109. Linwood Lambert - tased 20 times while handcuffed until dead
110. Michael McCloskey - shot in the back for no reason and paralyzed while sitting on his motorcycle

"That's an interesting anecdote and a shame you were treated so poorly. Not sure what it has to do with this though. I suppose you are suggesting that despite having done nothing wrong to be treated that way in the first place, had you reacted wrongly they may have killed you. Which seems like a strong argument the cops were wrong."
You stated it's our job to question every move a cop makes, not just in a fatal shooting. I agree with you any time a cop uses force the incident needs to be reviewed and they are.

If u want to second guess and dissect every move by a Cop be prepared for hesitant Cops who will refuse to do their jobs because of fear of retribution.

This is a good point, but I think I take a different conclusion from it than you do.

Absolutely and with no equivocation whatsoever, I WANT A POLICE OFFICER TO HESITATE BEFORE HE KILLS SOMEONE. So I think that's fantastic. You seem to disagree, but here's the thing: you seem to be saying that cop safety and societal "order" (my term, not yours, defined as "getting along with whatever the cops tell you to do") is more important than the constitutional rights of all the rest of us.

I find that absurd. Worse, I find it tyrannical and anti-constitutional. I have no idea why you think cops who react with deadly force without hesitating even comes close to what the founders of this country had in mind; actually, I'm pretty sure they'd think that was abhorrent.

Funny, that's what I was thinking. But you felt the need to chime in, didn't you? Ironic.

Well dude, I've spent sometime weeks in 'Critical Incident Stress' debriefings including my own as a Public Safety Officer . FF's, CoP's, First Responders.

Suicide by cop was very real and they paid the price most of us don't want to think about...

So he tazes the cop who is carrying gun, how do you think this one plays out? Cop hits the deck, the gun slides towards the perps feet, perp then engages the 2nd cop with the firearm.

Seriously, I can't believe you're defending a guy who punched two cops, stole their tazer, then tried to shoot them with it. [rofl]

Yes. And I will add.....

When you watch the video and the “perp” fires the taser there is a flash of light when the darts deploy. So he pointed a gun like object at a police officer and there is a flash that looks like someone fired at the officer. What the hell is the officer supposed to think is going on. The fact that he was terminated the next day without any investigation or hearing is ludicrous. He deserved better.

I said it earlier in this thread and it will say it again. There will be Police Officers killed because they hesitated in a life and death situation because of all this bullsh!t.

They have to make life and death decisions in tenths of a second and everyone else has the luxury of armchair quarterbacking that decision for hours and days.

Bob

Every move? He killed a guy. Do you really have such little value for human life you don't think we should even bother discussing whether killing someone is justified or not?

It's this precise viewpoint in why we are where we are right now. Literally thousands of dead bodies at the hands of police where this viewpoint prevailed has led to this moment in history. A month ago this cop would be enjoying a paid suspension. Instead, he's already been fired.

But, but, but.....we dont want the cops to be second guessed. Their arguments are getting stupider.

Wow, where did you get all those names? Your point is what, Cops aren't perfect?

What do you mean where did I get them? Those are people who have been shot or killed by police in questionable to clearly criminal circumstances. Fortunately a few were actually convicted of murder or manslaughter. But the vast majority were not held accountable in any way. No, my point isn't that cops aren't perfect. Obviously they aren't as obviously nobody is. My point is that when cops don't just make a mistake, but actually commit crimes that result in them killing someone, nothing happens to them. They clear themselves of wrongdoing and stick the taxpayers with the bill.

Edit:

If you are asking where the list was compiled from, me. I compiled the list from examples I've seen or read about over the past few years. Many if not most of those examples there exists video. Nearly if not all those examples have been discussed in NES even.

Wow, where did you get all those names? Your point is what, Cops aren't perfect?

I wouldnt use the term "not perfect". I might go with: untrained, incompetent, unsuited for the job, irrational, hot headed, above the law, capricious, ineffective, cretin, hardo, suck jobs that need to be evaluated, retrained or replaced.

When you watch the video and the “perp” fires the taser there is a flash of light when the darts deploy. So he pointed a gun like object at a police officer and there is a flash that looks like someone fired at the officer. What the hell is the officer supposed to think is going on.

He's suppose to think the guy is firing the taser. Surely the cop doesn't have amnesia and isn't blind. The guy took the taser from him seconds before. Why wouldn't he be able to know what's happening?

For the life of me, I can't understand why this went any further than the guy napping in his car.
Because they miss a perfect opportunity to get someone wrapped into the financial system of continuously paying for probation and court costs that we call the Justice system.

Because as I said in the other thread, he didn't belong there.

If I'm a fast-food employee and I discover someone unconscious in his car in my parking lot (let alone in the drive-thru), I'm calling it in. I would have no idea what the deal is, and it isn't my place to assess it.

Last year, I was walking past a McDonald's, I happened to notice a car parked a little crooked where they ask you to park if waiting for something at a drive thru. The vehicle was pulled up for enough that no one had an issue getting around him, but pulled far enough forward to get my attention. So I started watching and realizedthe guy was asleep. Then I noticed the needle in his arm. Literally shot up while in a drive thru, got his food and nodded off, rolling forward and stopped by a curb. I called over to a local police officer that was directing traffic 20 feet away.
Maybe we should have just let the guy sleep it off?

So he tazes the cop who is carrying gun, how do you think this one plays out? Cop hits the deck, the gun slides towards the perps feet, perp then engages the 2nd cop with the firearm.

Seriously, I can't believe you're defending a guy who punched two cops, stole their tazer, then tried to shoot them with it. [rofl]

If the guy was shot in the back while running away then I'd be calling it a shit shot. The second he turned and used the taser, thats a hostile act and is no longer just trying to escape. I have to agree with you here.

Remember Jesse Jacksons observation about hearing someone behind him on the street

Jesse Jackson's message is too advanced for most
MIKE ROYKOTHE BALTIMORE SUN
December 3, 1993

I have run across what appear to be several classic examples of political incorrectness and insensitivity by a major political figure.

So shocking are they that I hesitate even repeating them here for fear that they might cause widespread shrieking and fainting on the part of the politically proper.

Consider this statement:

"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then (I) look around and see someone white and feel relieved."

So the article, other than the headline, says nothing about him being shot in the back. Video doesnt show him being shot either. If it comes out that he wasnt shot in the back TMZ should be burned to the ground with all its liberal shit bag employees inside.

Eta- nvm, just reread and its mentioned in the article

he turned to the officer and drew the weapon and that’s when he was shot. He ran because if he had got arrested he would go directly to jail since he was a felon on probation. Note I do not agree with the use of force they had his car license and registration so if he ran they would have him

"If you are asking where the list was compiled from, me. I compiled the list from examples I've seen or read about over the past few years. Many if not most of those examples there exists video. Nearly if not all those examples have been discussed in NES even."

So your solution is what? Are you telling me Cops are not on increasing scrutiny from the public like never before? Smartphones have insured that every encounter a cop has with a civilian will be recorded and put on line. Pretty soon no intelligent person will want to be a Cop and then the inmates will run the asylum. Batteries dying and Vroom, Vroom is on.

Another thing I found interesting about watching the body cam is how the officer is treated post shooting by all other officers. How do they know that the officer didn't just start a murder spree?
If an average Joe had a justified shot like that, they would still be stripped of their firearm, cuffed and then questioned. If it was determined to be justified, the wouldn't get charged. (And in MA, you would have to fight to get your property back, but that's a whole other mess).
I'd like to see them disarm the officer, cuff him and then do their investigation. Instead, he gets sanitation wipes, bottles of water, and probably a back rub if he asked for it.
I just want equality between me and the police.

So your solution is what? Are you telling me Cops are not on increasing scrutiny from the public like never before?

Umm, nope, that's not what I'm telling you. Did you miss this post of mine?

Smartphones have insured that every encounter a cop has with a civilian will be recorded and put on line. Pretty soon no intelligent person will want to be a Cop

Yet I'm easily able to list hundreds of examples of cops committing misconduct on video in which the cops weren't held accountable. You do see that this has been a problem, right?

What's the solution? I don't have all the answers, but I do know one thing that will certainly help. It's the exact thing I have been relentlessly harping about on NES for years. You hold the cops who commit the misconduct and crimes accountable. It's really that simple. For the first time ever, that is now actually happening. I hope it continues. Because in the past, even when departments tried to hold officers accoutable, this would happen

Cop mag dumps through windshield, killing guy. Gets fired. He sues and court forces PD to reinstate him.

or

In 2003, Patrick was fired by Cincinnati police after he was acquitted for assault in the 2001 death of Roger Owensby. He was one of three cops accused of beating and choking the man, who later died from his injuries. The lieutenant was later reinstated and awarded $200,000 back pay, the newspaper reports.

or

Cop slits dogs throat, charges dismissed, reinstated with back pay

or

Cop beats up guy in custody, gets fired. Sues and is rehired. Then beats up another guy and is fired again.

The list goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom