• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Atholl Highlanders Visit

I am willing to loan my:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...The Regimental standard (Red from the Queen Yellow from the Duke) are currently in my kitchen awaiting the performance on Saturday Afternoon.

I triple-dog-dare you to add a little stitched "NES" to the Queen's standard!

Today was the mini tattoo on the town common. The Highlanders then march to the town hall for a public reception. Naturally Mr MacMurphy showed up and as soon things got started the sky opened up. Kudos to the Color Guard from the Marine Corps League who led the Highlanders today.

DSC_0953.jpg DSC_0975.jpg DSC_0980.jpg DSC_0989.jpg DSC_0995.jpg

Today, His Grace Bruce Murray, the 12th Duke of Atholl, will march his army to the Athol High School and pay tribute to the Class of 2012.

Even though I didn't (don't) have the appropriate rifle, I'm proud of what "we" did (Okay, what you all did) to make this happen. Thanks FSTC for organizing this, and thanks for all the great pictures and information!

Even though I didn't (don't) have the appropriate rifle, I'm proud of what "we" did (Okay, what you all did) to make this happen. Thanks FSTC for organizing this, and thanks for all the great pictures and information!

His Grace is a gun enthusiast (as well as a fellow Beemer rider). I was showing his son David (Lord of Atholl) my AK, he asked "Is the ammunition expensive and hard to find?" I quipped "No you pick up a box for 5 bucks at Walmart" He was taken aback, and told me that 7.62x39 is impossible to obtain legally in S Africa.

And we have it bad in Mass.!

Today was a great day, No pics though as we spent most of the day inside of S&W.
After we went to the shooting range where 19 lanes were ours to use with pretty much every type of pistol. Long barrel, snubbies, M&Ps in 9, 40 and 45. (no Shield though) 1911s, 617, and 41s in .22.
We had several cases of ammo on a pallet at our disposal. Sadly, they only managed to find/provide 18 rounds of .500 ammo. I estimated at least 2000 rounds fired in the hour and half we were shooting.
The lads shot 1 handed, 2 handed , gangsta... A lot of mag dumps with the free state guns. I even ran a box or so through my carry piece just because.
Thanks to ARV for coming out and helping the guys with the guns and the tour.

Today was a great day, No pics though as we spent most of the day inside of S&W.
After we went to the shooting range where 19 lanes were ours to use with pretty much every type of pistol. Long barrel, snubbies, M&Ps in 9, 40 and 45. (no Shield though) 1911s, 617, and 41s in .22.
We had several cases of ammo on a pallet at our disposal. Sadly, they only managed to find/provide 18 rounds of .500 ammo. I estimated at least 2000 rounds fired in the hour and half we were shooting.
The lads shot 1 handed, 2 handed , gangsta... A lot of mag dumps with the free state guns. I even ran a box or so through my carry piece just because.

It was my pleasure. And free ammo for some practice with my carry gun wasn't passed up here either[wink]

Who is coming to town? Following is the second installment in a series containing short self-biographies provided by those who will be accompanying the 12th Duke on his visit to the Tool Town:

Captain The Honorable John Drummond

John, 45, was born in Perth, and is married with two daughters. He works as an analyst in London.

Lt. John Bullough

John, 43, owns a local department store called McEwans of Perth (established in 1868). He is married to Lady Georgina, the daughter of William Murray, the 8th Earl of Mansfield. He is a retired Scots Guards officer and a part-time police officer. His hobbies include hunting and fishing.

Lt. James Stewart (Jamie)

Born in Glasgow, James, 31, joined the Highlanders in 2009. He completed a doctorate in 2008 and now works as a chemical engineer. He is married, with a one-year-old daughter, and another child is expected in August. His family farms sheep in Perthshire, where he enjoys spending much of his leisure time. When not on the farm, he enjoys the theatre and food.

RSM Len Brailsford

A retired police officer, Len is very much enjoying his retirement, holidays, touring caravan and working his gun dogs — not necessarily in that order. He is married to Margaret, and the two have a grown-up daughter, twin sons, and two grandchildren. He joined the Highlanders in 1971 and was promoted RSM in 1997. One of his sons, Garry, also a Highlander, joins his father on this tour.

C.S.M. Graham Jack

Born in Aberfeldy, Graham, 58, joined the Highlanders in 1977, while employed on Atholl Estates. He has family ties dating back to the origins of the Atholl Highlanders. He later joined the Tayside Police and retired in 2008. He keeps active by hill walking, working his two gun dogs and playing the “odd” game of golf. He is married to Sandra, and they enjoy time with their family and grandchildren.

Sgt. Forbes Stewart

Forbes, 66, is a farmer on Atholl Estates. He has with three grown-up children, one of whom, Jamie, was on the last visit to Athol with the Highlanders. He has four grandchildren, three in Scotland, and a granddaughter living in the U.S. He has made numerous visits to the States over the years and looks forward to returning to Athol, having been here in 1987 with the Highlanders. His main hobby is motorsport, nowadays mainly as a spectator and supporting Jamie’s efforts in the Scottish Rally Championship.

Highlander Dominic Morrogh Bernard

Dominic has worked on Atholl Estates as a deer stalker for 15 years, and currently works on the Glen Bruar Lodge beat, one of the more remote areas of Perthshire. He has been married to Gill for 11 years. “We have three daughters aged 11, 10 and 6,” he say. He has been with the Highlanders since 2003

Sgt. John Crichton (Ian)

John, 49, was born in Blair Atholl. He joined the Highlanders in 1980 while employed on Atholl Estates. He now works in West Yorkshire, England. He has a son and enjoys playing golf in his spare time.

Highlander Rory Cameron

Roy, 42, was born and raised in Blair Atholl. Upon leaving school, he went to work as a trainee gamekeeper on Atholl Estates. He then went on to further his career on other estates before deciding to return home to the family livestock farm, which he now runs. He is married to Margaret and has three children. He joined the Highlanders in 1988 and enjoys playing football, running and travelling.

Highlander Duncan Fernie

Duncan, 32, is employed as a gamekeeper/stalker at Dalnacardoch, six miles north of Blair Atholl. He joined the Highlanders in 1999. He is married with a young daughter and enjoys golf and curling in his spare time.

Drum Sergeant Alistair Mcnab

Alistair (a.k.a Bongo) was born in Aberfeldy in 1975. He has been a member of the Highlanders for 10 years but also plays and tutors with the Grade One Vale of Atholl pipe band. He is married, has two children and is employed by Strathtay Golf Club as head greenkeeper.

Piper Mark Stewart

Mark, 40, joined the Highlanders in 2006. He lives in Crieff and works as a plasterer. He is married to Michelle (a Canadian) and the two have a son, Cameron

I'm curious about what their thoughts or comments were on you having a carry gun (if you don't mind sharing).

I'm curious about what their thoughts or comments were on you having a carry gun (if you don't mind sharing).

I had mine as well, it wasn't covered part of the time at the range, and I shot it. No comments were made or reactions had, that I was aware of. Then again, there were a few who's accents were thick enough that I couldn't understand them even if they said something about it. [laugh]

Here is a video from Saturday.

I watched that 3 times until I realized that the standard bearers were NOT out of step with the rifle companies... I was watching the right arms swing with the left foot, and the standard bearers were only swinging their right arms, which is hidden by the cloaks for the rest of the troop and holding their rifles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Didn't seem to be a big deal, Most of the week with the exception of inside the S&W plant, I and my wife open carried or carried with little concealment. The only comments leaned toward, "that's cool"

The Highlanders performed for Starrett tools today. in the afternoon after the tour, we took anyone interested to the range.

For those who are a fan of the movie Snatch

Off to the Statehouse tomorrow. The Governor and State Senator Brewer will be there to greet and inspect the Highlanders.

Then off to Fenway for the game.

The State House and Fenway, went off without a hitch! Thanks again to ARV for the help. Would have been nice to see GOAL there, as we had some face time with the Gov and the Senate President.
A few vids.

So if you are just tuning in. I have been transporting bayonet equipped non lg capacity rifles all over this week. We (NES and the Highlanders) have been some pretty cool places this week, Today the rifles were presented in front of our Gu'vner, later tonight I stood on the field at Fenway.
The Highlanders marched out while the band played Nobody ever challenged me all week, nor did anyone ask if the possibility existed of a stripper clip in the area, or if anyone (duly licensed of course) were possibly carrying any other firearms.

I told ya that to tell you this.
I wore my kilt today complete with a sgian dubh. No Dirk mind you, just the sock knife. Now, the lads performed, I had just taken 27 rifles out of Fenway, secured them in my vehicle, and parked in the secure Players parking area. as I walked into Fenway I hear "excuse me" "is that a knife?" "Why Yes IT Is!" the took it and checked it at guest services ( I did get it back).
Thats it, the biggest problem of the whole week, all in all, I'd call it a win.

DSC_0162.jpg

Last edited:
I had just taken 27 rifles out of Fenway, secured them in my vehicle, and parked in the secure Players parking area. as I walked into Fenway I hear "excuse me" "is that a knife?" "Why Yes IT Is!" the took it and checked it at guest services ( I did get it back).

I guess now we know how they cut the grass in Fenway Park - just let the sheep crop it. [rolleyes]

"Ve are only vollowing ORDERS!!!"

Good grief. Guess you should have worn one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/safety-sg...nal_Clothing&hash=item4ab8387514#ht_500wt_898

FWIW... I was wearing my kilt this weekend at a wedding on Long Island, and I did wear my sgain dhu... along with a Falcon Arms shortsword for the arch of steel after the ceremony. I was not, however, carrying my j-frame - stupid I'm not.

Back
Top Bottom