• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Atholl Highlanders Visit

I am willing to loan my:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atholl_Highlanders

The Atholl Highlanders will be visiting Athol Mass for the 1st time since 2000.

The visit is scheduled for May 29th till June 6th 2012.

They are having issues with bring their rifles into the US. (Financial)

I need to arrange the use of (ideally) 20 Lee Metfords. Lee Enfields would also work.

We will provide secure storage and Insurance against loss or damage.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

atholl_highlanders_infantry.jpg

Last edited:
I don't live too far from Athol. Looks like something I'd like to go watch. I've got a Savage No.4 Mk.1 + blade bayonet for it. No sling though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atholl_Highlanders
They are having issues with bring their rifles into the US. (I believe it has something to do with the ATF)

The Athol Historical Society is working with the British Consulate to resolve the issue.
View attachment 22251

Have they each filed a Form 6 NIA?

The "hunting license or competitive target shooting event" requirement could be an obstacle, however, the applicant is not required to actually hunt or even have a hunting license in the state of destination. Alaska offers a small game hunting license on line for $20, which is the cheapest way to go the "hunting license" route.

I have a couple of Enfields you can borrow. Just let me know. Ammo may be an issue. 303 isn't growing on trees.

Have they each filed a Form 6 NIA?

The "hunting license or competitive target shooting event" requirement could be an obstacle, however, the applicant is not required to actually hunt or even have a hunting license in the state of destination. Alaska offers a small game hunting license on line for $20, which is the cheapest way to go the "hunting license" route.

My thought would be to have a Military rifle benefit shoot for the historical society. In the past shipping and baggage allowances weren't an issue. These guys are a volunteer ceremonial unit, so to take their rifles involves them paying the way.

I've also got a No4 mk1 you can use, if you can't get Metfords.

ETA: a No4 MkI, 2 Garands, and an 03A3.

Last edited:
Added poll.
If you have multiple rifles to loan please indicate that in your post.
Any questions, feel free to contact me via PM.

If anyone has a source for bayonets please PM me a link. I realize that some rifles do not have them so if I can find a source I may be able to provide them .

I don't live too far from Athol. Looks like something I'd like to go watch. I've got a Savage No.4 Mk.1 + blade bayonet for it. No sling though.
Ditto

I figure it was already loaned out once, so why not? Besides, its stamped "US PROPERTY" just in case anyone forgets[wink]

As to loaning it, I might be able to scare up a sling at a gun show, kinda want one even if it is a repro.

ETA: have some ammo too, not sure how much and it hang-fires like a SOB.

Last edited:
AR15 w/ A2 ?

Clue me in here: What do they use them for exactly? I would think if they do anything more complicated than marching around a different rifle would screw up their routine. Or do they shoot too?

AR15 w/ A2 ?

Clue me in here: What do they use them for exactly? I would think if they do anything more complicated than marching around a different rifle would screw up their routine. Or do they shoot too?

Mostly Drill and ceremony. Most of the older guys have Metfords, but the newer guys have Enfields. AFAIK, no shooting during their official ceremonies.

Update and Bump
My club will host an informal meet and greet shoot, sometime during their visit. A local shop (Grr Gear) has offered ammo (for the owners of the rifles) and I am working on other items as well.

Update and Bump
My club will host an informal meet and greet shoot, sometime during their visit. A local shop (Grr Gear) has offered ammo (for the owners of the rifles) and I am working on other items as well.

Cool. Just let us know the date when you know (for both the shoot and the event) so I can be sure to get those days off.

Back
Top Bottom