• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Athol, MA Appleseed: July 5th, 6th 2008

Range: Woodsman Rifle and Pistol

Address: 390 Doe Valley Road Athol, MA

When: July 5th and 6th, 2008

Range Fee: $3 per shooter per day.

Camping available: None

Hotels: Check Hotwire.com for hotels in Fitchburg, MA and Amherst, MA, both ~20mi from Athol.

Directions: Take MA rt. 2 from either direction to exit 17 (rt 32 S). Follow rt 32 S 0.5 miles and make a right on Woodlawn Rd. After 0.4 miles, make a slight right onto Doe Valley Road. Range is 390 Doe Valley Road.

State Laws to be aware of: Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban is same as old Federal AWB (only one "evil feature," no >10 round mags unless they are pre 1994.) Rifle must be unloaded in locked case when not on range. Print out this page as evidence of "rifle competition" if stopped. Don't even think of bringing a pistol unless you already have a Non-Resident LTC which is required for mere possession.

Misc: 25 meters only. Centerfire and rimfire rifles allowed.

For more information contact: [email protected] or PM crak on this forum

Registration Link: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/128372967

Flyer: (please post them up and spread the word!) http://www.harvardriflemen.com/AppleseedAtholMA.pdf

Last edited:
Winchendon guys, this is a good chance for a weekend shoot out in your area. Come get some instruction in and learn how to teach as well.

It wasn't easy for MrTwigg or I to get this shoot put on, so come down and make it worth our while. [smile]

Active Military and Under 21 shoot FREE! Bring the kids down. Let me know if you need loaner .22s for them or yourself.

Last edited:
I put the signs up at the gun club today, along with some extra red coats. Hopefully you'll get some traction out of that, but it is the 11th hour.

Do you have to come for both days or can you just show up for one? I'll be coming back in from out of town on the 5th, but I'll have the 6th free.

I'll be there one of the days, but it's still up in the air which one. I'll register for one day, but not sure which I can make. I'm hoping for Sunday just for the higher round count, but that is looking less likely.

In any case, you'll have at least one more.

Sad part is I can't make the July 4th NES shoot.

If you don't know which day you're going to be there, don't worry about which one to preregister for. There are several humans in the loop who won't mind. [smile]

Yes. There are 10/22's available. Send an email to [email protected] after preregistering to get in the line so I know if I can just use the ones the instructors have between them or we have to set up some road trips to get more.

What time does it start on Sunday? I was thinking of coming back from VT Sat night, but I might come back early Sunday morning and head straight to the event. If someone could PM me the start time I'd really appreciate it and I'll check for messages on my phone.

What time does it start on Sunday? I was thinking of coming back from VT Sat night, but I might come back early Sunday morning and head straight to the event. If someone could PM me the start time I'd really appreciate it and I'll check for messages on my phone.

There is no firing before 9:00 AM on Saturday, 10:00 AM on Sunday. Club rule.

I will be on site 8:30 Saturday, 9:30 on Sunday to unlock everything.

Moderators, maybe this post should be combined with this one:
North Central MA Appleseed shoot July 5th & 6th.

Is there a fee for this? I might be interested in it, and come up to watch, but would hate to be excluded if I decide to join in. I'd love to get this sort of thing started at our club, but am fearful the board would not go for it. I had resistance getting them to do any shooting (trap, .22, etc. )events at the "Family Fun Day" or whatever it is called...AT A SPORTSMAN'S CLUB!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yes, there is a fee. The Revolutionary War Veteran Association takes some for materials ($40 for 1 day and $70 for 2 day - Free for Military or youth) and the range wants a $3 range fee. Frankly, you can't TOUCH this quality of rifle training for twice that price.

Crak, I'll be there Sunday. WOO HOO!

Yes we have plenty of space available and there is a fee. Chris quoted the sign-up-in-advance fee. The walk-on fee adds $5 per day to the above.

Rifleman.jpg

Congrats Mr. Twigg...

Just curious...

Is the line covered? If not, is it OK if I bring a small shelter? I sliced open my foot this morning and by Dr's orders, I need to keep the stitches dry.

Thank you and yes, it is covered. Sorry to hear you got hurt. Hope you heal quickly.

Another fine day of Appleseeding. MrTwigg's been waiting a long time for that score (longer than Appleseed existed, if you can get him to tell you the whole story!)

To anyone who missed out, it's not too late to show up tomorrow with a functional rifle, 200-300 rounds of ammo, and a measly $45 in hand.

Chris: Line is covered but only works that way for prone and offhand because it has a built in bench. When we shot AQTs we moved forward out into the open. So I'd say bring the shelter.

Heading over shortly to open up.

This is some of the best training in rifle shooting you'll ever find.

Reminder; Offical start time is 10:00 AM today.

There's lots of room on the line, so if you have nothing better to do, come on over !

...and I ask what could be better than acheiving RIFLEMAN on the Independence Day weekend ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom