• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Athol, MA Appleseed Feb 7th & 8th

Registration starts at 8:00 AM; shooting starts at 8:30 AM. However, you must leave your rifle in your car until after the safety briefing. We will be working on sighting in during the day - unless you're several inches out at 25 meters, I wouldn't worry about it. Worry about your group size FIRST.

You could always hit the range tomorrow if you really feel that you need to sight it in first, but really, you don't. However, if you feel like you're going to have mechanical issues, best hit the range tomorrow and work them out - sighting it in is part of the program, and we expect to do it. If you have reliability problems, you'd be best finding another rifle - you'll be too busy fussing with your rifle to learn. Trust me, I know whereof I speak. Been there, done that!

Crap... it just occurred to me. I'm very low on targets. Are we supplying our own?

You bring your rifle, ammo, enough magazines to load 40 rounds, and whatever shooting gear you need (pad, warm clothing, eyes and ears, staple gun with plenty of staples, etc). We take care of the targets.

It's too late to order a extended front sight post, so I had to put some glass on it.[sad] I wanted to run this weekend with open sights. But nothing is keeping me away from this weekend, so, my LTR is going to be scoped. Gives me an 'excuse' to sign up for another Appleseed when the extended front post arrives [smile]

A Rifleman persists and perseveres. Looks to me like you're making a Rifleman decision.

OK... so now that it's not going to be cold, do we still want to keep the rifles unlubed?

I would still run them dry. Maybe the thinest possible layer of lube, if you must.

Looks like I will only be doing Saturday, I will be helping my wife with the GOAL table on Sunday at the DCU show.

See you guys tomorrow.

Just to make sure I bring everything, do we need the online sheet saying we signed up for the class or do you already have a list of our names? I'm hoping the list is fine or I'll have to start searching. [wink]

Looks like I will only be doing Saturday, I will be helping my wife with the GOAL table on Sunday at the DCU show.

See you guys tomorrow.

A worthy cause !

I've just returned from setting up the range. Target stands, firing line, safety lane and equipment lane - we'll explain it all tomorrow.

I tell ya, its a thing of beauty. [smile]

As for conditions, there's about 18 to 24 inches of powder with a thick crust on top. You'll be postholing back and forth to the targets, its slow going so take your time tomorrow.

There's cardboard for target backers at the range and I'll be bringing more in the morning. Bring extra staples.

For the morning, I've got two coffee pots set up already. [coffee]

We'll do registrations indoors where its warm.

As for lunch; Mrs Twigg will be making several large pans of Ziti with meat sauce tonight, there will also be a pan of salad, bread and homemade bananna bread. For beverages there will be fruit punch, bottled water, coffee and hot choclate.
hungry.gif

Tomorrrow it'll be Chicken with gravy and either biscuits or dumplings.

Donations galdly accepted.

I've got a burn barrel in the truck with a load of firewood for hand warmin' on the line.

Grab an armload as go by iffin' you please. [smile]

See ya there.

Any guesstimate as to what time we will finish up tomorrow?

The bride is asking what time to expect me home.....
DD, I have noticed that the light will be failing by 5:00... and since the targets are gray, you will probably be straining to see by then.

Best guesstimate is that we'll fire the last target somewhere around 4:30-4:45. There's some wrapup after that, so figure that you'll probably be leaving somewhere around 5-5:30.

Of course, no plan ever survives contact with the enemy... and in this case, the cold & snow will be our enemy. So... let's take it as it comes and adjust times as needed.

Arrggg no sooner do I get home, and I go and hurt my wrist. I'm not even sure how I did it but I know that I hadn't even moved my equipment from where I dropped it when I got in the door.

Not sure I'll be able to make it tomorrow. How will that work? Don't you guys hand out certificates of completion tomorrow?

Just "finally" finished cleaning up the rifle, putting everything away or hanging up to all the wet stuff to dry. Had a great time today and learned some valuable shooting lessons. Also found out that a fellow NESer was a guy I worked with at Burger King back in the early 80s. Small world!

Wish I could make it tomorrow for the second day. I'm thinking I could make up those extra 13 points to reach Rifleman. Well, maybe. [smile]

I'm signing up for both days next time.

Snapshot, I can mail it if you can't make it.

Here are the pictures from today.

NINE degrees when we arrived. BRRR!!!
DSC01791.jpg

MrTwigg set up the line by himself on Friday, in bone-chilling cold. Great job, Dennis!
DSC01792.jpg

He brought wood and a burn barrel for us to warm ourselves by, and Crak brought the instructors Cossack hats, in the proper colors, too - red for instructors and green for the Shoot Boss.
DSC01793.jpg

I've seen warmer-looking lines... and that did NOT deter our shooters!
DSC01794.jpg

Getting off his feet and getting warm for a few minutes.
DSC01795.jpg

No, those aren't shooting jackets... but our shooters, in the spirit of the American Rifleman, persevered against the weather. Hey, George Washington's boys would have given a LOT to have the kind of cold weather gear we have.
DSC01796.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

DSC01798.jpg

DSC01799.jpg

Boy, that Liberty Training Rifle looks lonely without a shooter! But you'll notice it's the nasty weather version!
DSC01800.jpg

DSC01801.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

Shooter Jay, at age 65, wasn't quite limber enough to sit cross-legged... but he persevered, and found a seated position that worked for him. This man had a lot of guts - most 65 year olds would think that they'd earned the right to sit on the couch by the fire. Not Jay - he was here with his son, and BOTH of them shot. They even came back for a second day, even they'd only signed up for one.
DSC01804.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

There's room on the line for tomorrow... be there at 9:00 if you want to join the fun.

Last edited:
Great time today! I'm looking forward to tomorrow!!!

Thanks to all involved in making this happen.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom