• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Athlon Optics Neos 3-9x40 Second Focal Plane

paul73

NES Member
a one more mid-tier, or even a lower tier scope. i got it tested today on the dedicated .22lr upper i`ve built. some of reviews praised it as a best option for .22lr in 2021 so i decided to give it a try. reticle on that scope
39.jpg
is supposed to be zeroed at 50yds, and then give drops for a 1250ft per sec bullet at 75, 100, 125 and 150 yard for each of C1,2,3 notches
drops: C1 (2.3); C2 (5.3); C3 (8.8)

in reality it worked with cci mini mags very well aligning the C3 drop with 100yds. optically scope is at vortex strike eagle level, bright and clear enough, and usable enough for a 22lr.
turrets are covered, so, you not supposed to touch them once zeroed - for 50 and 100yds it seems to work well.

Amazon product ASIN B01APT0JHYView: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01APT0JHY

Overall it feels like a copy of a diamondback 4-12x40 design is all aspects. Only the latter is at $250 price level.

Last edited:
Best thing to do is get actual velocity out of your platform.
Unless specifically noted by manufacture
Velocity test is on a specific test barrel for velocity/accuracy and they use a 24” test barrel. The info is somewhere on the SAMMI wen site and Somewhere on NES is a copy of my email from CCI stating the same.
Once you know tour velocity you can fine tune your retical
The “drops” are calculated at 9x

you can hang target at 100 yards with 2” dots a inch apart or so and see what you get for subtension. Then you cab play with magnification to see the changes.

its fun to see what your 22s will do.
Most of mine are zeroed for 75 yards

Last edited:
Best thing to do is get actual velocity out of your platform.
Unless specifically noted by manufacture
Velocity test is on a specific test barrel for velocity/accuracy and they use a 24” test barrel. The info is somewhere on the SAMMI wen site and Somewhere on NES is a copy of my email from CCI stating the same.
Once you know tour velocity you can fine tune your retical
The “drops” are calculated at 9x

you can hang target at 100 yards with 2” dots a inch apart or so and see what you get for subtension. Then you cab play with magnification to see the changes.

its fun to see what your 22s will do.
Most of mine are zeroed for 75 yards
I suspect in this case advertised drops in that reticle may be set for a 4-12x scope, and then they moved the same reticle into 3-9x scope. It is a $110 Chinese made product, after all.

Still, it works quite ok, made ok, worth its price.

I suspect in this case advertised drops in that reticle may be set for a 4-12x scope, and then they moved the same reticle into 3-9x scope. It is a $110 Chinese made product, after all.

Still, it works quite ok, made ok, worth its price.
$110 your ahead if turrets actually move and the glass does not fog up or fall out.

$110 your ahead if turrets actually move and the glass does not fog up or fall out.
Frankly it is very possible this scope is made by a same outsourcer that crafts vortex diamondback. They do look similar, I have both.

Frankly it is very possible this scope is made by a same outsourcer that crafts vortex diamondback. They do look similar, I have both.
Yeah im sure theres models across the board that are just rebranded per contract with manufacture.

Back
Top Bottom