ATF To Rewrite The Definition Of A Lower Receiver: Lower Receivers Are Not Firearms

According to the video the alphabet soup cops will take 2 to 5 years before charging the definition of an AR Lower. That's at least a new administration away! I'd say build/buy while we can and get a few million more on the street!
And what will they reclassify to? That’s the bigger question, right?

ATF cant fix this.....it requires a change of legal statute of what constiutes a firearm by definition
Well... maybe.... As it currently stands, the lower being the firearm does not concur with the law. The upper or possibly both receivers together more adequately meet the definition of a firearm in USC.

So, the ATF changing their guidance to more accurately conform to the legal definition is totally possible.

No offense to OP, but this video is total f*cktardery. Some crazy old dude with coke bottle glasses puts up a video and we suddenly take it as gospel? “Experts” convince courts all the time of bullsh!t. It doesn’t mean the ATF is going to do anything.

No offense to OP, but this video is total f*cktardery. Some crazy old dude with coke bottle glasses puts up a video and we suddenly take it as gospel? “Experts” convince courts all the time of bullsh!t. It doesn’t mean the ATF is going to do anything.

Very good point. I didn’t even watch the video, because of the guy. All commentary should be taken as discussion of possible actions. I highly doubt he has any inside connection to ATF leadership decisions.
What I can see them doing is bringing back the A1 type receiver, no more swapping out uppers to change calibers.
How does an A1 upper prevent swapping out uppers to change calibers?

Nothing about the lower meets the federal definition which is why ATF is freaking out and has had to drop cases against people making lowers without a manufacturers license.....

They screwed the pooch decades ago by declaring that the lower is the part that needed to be serialized

Its part of the reason they deemed that bolt action uppers that could be attached to an AR Lower suddenly had to be serialized.....because they actually DO meet the definition of a "firearm"

Its also part of the reason why there are no AR upper recievers to be found on the market.....cuz folks are gobbling them up out of fear of looming change......

If the AR upper met the above definition then the ATF would have already issued a response .....but it doesnt because the firing mechanism is contained within the lower......while the bolt/breechblock and part that recieves the barrell is the upper

Only a change to federal law can fix this
Yup, aware of that. How would declaring a complete upper-lower set the serialized firearm not be closer to the definition than currently?

Last edited:

Did you watch the video he's referring to from Gun Guy TV on Youtube? That's the one that supposedly has the retired ATF guy talking about the issue. I haven't looked at it yet, and it's close to an hour long. Just wondering if that video is on the same level or gives it more credibility.

Sounds like a way to kill an hour at work.

Did you watch the video he's referring to from Gun Guy TV on Youtube? That's the one that supposedly has the retired ATF guy talking about the issue. I haven't looked at it yet, and it's close to an hour long. Just wondering if that video is on the same level or gives it more credibility.

Sounds like a way to kill an hour at work.
Yeah, there are too many examples of waist of $$.
Look at the news!
You may get pittance while you’re kid and great grandchildren will be paying for the $$ sent to other places around the world. We have NO representation in government!

Well... maybe.... As it currently stands, the lower being the firearm does not concur with the law. The upper or possibly both receivers together more adequately meet the definition of a firearm in USC.

So, the ATF changing their guidance to more accurately conform to the legal definition is totally possible.

I like this.

Step 1, mail order a bunch of uppers while the lower is the regulated part
Step 2, mail order a bunch of lowers once the upper is the regulated part
Step 3, profit.

Don't judge a book by its cover.
The guy has hundreds of gun videos on his "Lead Therapy" channel going back as far as 2012, I haven't yet seen any comments calling him a crackpot. I think there's a chance that he may know a thing or two that we don't.

Its also part of the reason why there are no AR upper recievers to be found on the market.....cuz folks are gobbling them up out of fear of looming change......

If you're referring to stripped uppers, I'm not seeing many out there for sale, but there are TONS of complete barreled uppers available with or without BCG. Every day I get email flyers from PSA and CDNN with a whole slew of differently configured uppers for sale. Yeah, the price has gone up, but there doesn't seem to be any shortage.

31806ba1a7a5616d626cb810dc9ea29bbe54ecc1c23e912d588a49224da806f3.jpg

My guess is every single thing I can buy at a store will be considered a 'firearm'. Need a magazine spring? That's a firearm. Did you eat lunch while building an AR? The lunch is considered a firearm. If you ate beans then it's considered an explosive and a firearm and requires 2 background checks to finish the build. The entire organization should be defunded, eliminated and all records destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom