• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF Seized my Replica Mini-14

I have no reason to lawyer up at this point in time since I personally didn't do anything wrong.
You must be new to interacting with the legal system.
It's like paying for any other good or service
An individual I know who was charged because the housebreakers he pulled a gun on were the children of well-connected people beat the rap in full at trial in RI. His words of wisdom were "Justice is a commodity like any other, and how much you get depends on how much you can afford". Truer words were rarely spoken.

Maybe its just me, but i would be pissed that my ffl didn't contact me first. That would be the last time i used that place.

Do you hate this FFL?

It exposed the FFL to retaliation to describe the situation and out him as defying a gag request from the feds (even though I believe that only National Security Letters gag provisions have the force of law).

Maybe its just me, but i would be pissed that my ffl didn't contact me first. That would be the last time i used that place.
As soon as what appeared to be an unserialized firearm showed up the FFL had no choice but to contact the ATF immediately. Doing anything else could easily make him party to a crime, and certainly would put his license at risk. Remember, this isn't just something he does for fun. This is how he makes a living, how he provides for his family. The risk was losing his license, destroying his life and family, maybe even going to jail. All this over one lousy rifle for one "customer" who didn't even buy it from him. What kind of cost/benefit analysis are you doing that has you putting all this at risk?

As soon as what appeared to be an unserialized firearm showed up the FFL had no choice but to contact the ATF immediately. Doing anything else could easily make him party to a crime, and certainly would put his license at risk. Remember, this isn't just something he does for fun. This is how he makes a living, how he provides for his family. The risk was losing his license, destroying his life and family, maybe even going to jail. All this over one lousy rifle for one "customer" who didn't even buy it from him. What kind of cost/benefit analysis are you doing that has you putting all this at risk?

Nothing wrong with having or transferring an unserialized firearm. I have several and I'm sure others do too. They don't require serials if they were manufactured without one prior to ... '68? Nor if you manufactured it yourself for your own use.

However, your main point is valid. If the firearm was SUPPOSED to have one and didn't, why should he risk everything for some random dude's $30 transfer fee?

Hello. My name is Pipes and I am a Nit-Pickerholic. [laugh]

His words of wisdom were "Justice is a commodity like any other, and how much you get depends on how much you can afford". Truer words were rarely spoken.
i cannot offer wisdom or useful advice. i have had one experience in civil court and quickly found out the party that wins the case is the side who's attorney's are the best bullshitters. and that's different in my mind than being a good legal mind, being able to spin the shit. that became apparent 10 minutes into my hearing.

A legal dispute (threatened or actual) is analogous to a gunfight (threatened or actual). Sometimes the person with the better legal position/weapon loses because the other side wielded their crappy gun more skillfully.

Basically off-griders are much different than a bonafide ffl. The innocuous person who owns illegal firearms has no problem but to be inconspicuous and off the radar. A good citizen who blends in. There is no limit to the amount of these persons.

If it was my livelihood I would certainly call the ATF without hesitation. This is like being an informant for .gov with your entire life laid bare and the only escape is to do it’s bidding. A rock and a hard place indeed.

Years ago....many years ago I bought a used car and when I drove it off the lot it bled white smoke that clouded the entire road. I brought it back and the used car salesman said kiss my **s. So I called my uncle who is a lawyer. We had our date and my uncle laid out the simple argument that under the law I was guarantee full refund. Within mins the judge ruled in our favor for the measily total of $2k. When we adjourned the car salesmen turned in scorn to say, “You shoulda hired a better lawyer!”. My uncle replied, “He couldn’t since he spent it all on that car!”

You must be new to interacting with the legal system.

An individual I know who was charged because the housebreakers he pulled a gun on were the children of well-connected people beat the rap in full at trial in RI. His words of wisdom were "Justice is a commodity like any other, and how much you get depends on how much you can afford". Truer words were rarely spoken.
I’d like to hear more about the case of a guy who was charged for pulling a gun on people who broke into his house just because thier mommy and daddy knew someone. I’m thinking there’s more to the story or I’m not buying it. Did he shoot them? Was it His house? Did he know them prior? He a felon?

Last edited:
I assumed that I would not ever see this thing but 3 months later and the ATF released my mini-14 non-gun! I picked it up from Guns Inc. yesterday and it's still in 1 piece. I got copies of all of the ATF paperwork so that I have proof that it's not a firearm. It looks like a regular Mini-14, you can rack it and pull the trigger and the hammer drops so I can see why there was concern The plug for the firing pin falls right out too. Lesson learned, I'm never buying a fake firearm again! Only real stuff from now on! Yes I will post pics so you can see what all the fuss was about.

I assumed that I would not ever see this thing but 3 months later and the ATF released my mini-14 non-gun! I picked it up from Guns Inc. yesterday and it's still in 1 piece. I got copies of all of the ATF paperwork so that I have proof that it's not a firearm. It looks like a regular Mini-14, you can rack it and pull the trigger and the hammer drops so I can see why there was concern The plug for the firing pin falls right out too. Lesson learned, I'm never buying a fake firearm again! Only real stuff from now on! Yes I will post pics so you can see what all the fuss was about.

Wow.... dayum.

Trump1y.gif

Not what I was expecting for an outcome.

Back
Top Bottom