• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF Seized my Replica Mini-14

The feds absolutely prohibit subjects from recording their "interview" and my understanding is that the only record is notes backed by the word of the agent(s) present.
Historically, you have that exactly backwards.

Before five years ago -
back when the FBI went out of their way
not to record interviews -
a tape recorder was FBI Repellent:

Of course anyone in custody would be wise to refuse
an interrogation without a lawyer present.

My understanding is that the FBI has finally deigned to start videotaping their interviews. In the past, the FBI has refused to videotape their interviews claiming that would disclose their super duper interview techniques.

I heard one criminal defense attorney say that he would tell the FBI that his client would answer all their questions provided that he would have the interview in his office with a court reporter videotaping the interview. The FBI always declined.
^This.

It was probably attorney Harvey Silverglate,
star of the above video, and author of the 2011 Forbes article
Constructing Truth: the FBI's (non)recording policy.

I wonder how it made the ATF radar screen in the first place?

If it isn’t an outright setup, the receiving FFL probably involved the atf regardless of what they say.... and they are probably justified..
Or
Probably because it was on gun broker.... if you look closely there are a lot of questionable thing that happen on such a site...

I almost got caught up in an issue with 40mm ammo that was likely stolen and a handgrenade fuse epic fail.... not that my possession would have been a crime../. But once again stolen or paperwork error basically just wasn’t supposed to be sold on the open market....

I wanted the fuses badly, but could tell something wasn’t right.... I almost took the risk... I know people who did.... everyone surrendered the items....

This forum: "can't speak plainly about online stores that ship to MA, Maura might be listening"

Also this forum: "ATF seized my shipment, here's a detailed account of everything I did. What should I say when I call the feds? I'm sure I can just sort this out with a candid conversation with Uncle Sam".

OP, if you aren't locked up already, delete this post and keep your mouth shut. Getting your "replica" back is the least of your worries.

Given the involvement of the ATF, I wouldn’t communicate with the seller in any way going forward. I would just write off the money and walk away.

This, and keep a good attorney's business card in your wallet.

I wonder how it made the ATF radar screen in the first place?

Wouldn't be surprised if the FFL rolled. They receive a "replica" that could be construed as an unserialized firearm, first instinct is likely to protect their license and not end up in the clink. Ordering a non-firearm replica to a FFL must be one hell of a red flag, I don't even know why they would accept such a proposition.

If it's not a gun, why have a FFL receive it?

3) Martha Stewart never committed insider trading. She wasn't guilty of the crime for which she was being investigated.

Yeah actually she did, lying about it and trying to cover it up is what she went down for...

after learning the FDA would refuse to review Erbitux, Sam Waksal, the CEO of ImClone and a close friend of Stewart, instructed his broker Peter Bacanovic— who was also Stewart’s broker—to transfer $4.9 million in stock to the account of his daughter Aliza Waksal. His daughter also requested that Bacanovic sell $2.5 million of her own ImClone 3 stock. Sam Waksal then tried to sell the shares he had transferred to his daughter, but was blocked by brokerage firm Merrill Lynch. Phone records indicate that Bacanovic called Martha Stewart’s office on December 27 shortly after Waksal’s daughter dumped her shares. Stewart’s stock was sold ten minutes later.
...Stewart claims she had previously issued a “stop-loss” order to sell the stock if it fell below $60/share. Stewart called Bacanovic and asked him to sell her 3,928 shares; she also called her friend Sam Waksal, but could not reach him. Stewart’s assistant left a message for Sam Waksal saying, “Something’s going on with ImClone, and she wants to know what it is. She’s staying at Los Ventanos.” Waksal did not call her back. At about the time Stewart made her sale, she was on her way to Mexico with friend Mariana Pasternak. However, Stewart’s explanation that she unloaded her stock because of a prearranged sell order collapsed when Douglas Faneuil, the broker’s assistant who handled the sale of the ImClone stock for Stewart, told Merrill Lynch lawyers that his boss, Peter Bacanovic, had pressured him to lie about a stop-loss order. Although he initially backed Stewart’s story, he later told prosecutors that Bacanovic prompted him to advise Stewart that Waksal family members were dumping their stock and that she should consider doing the same. During interviews with law enforcement officials, Faneuil said, “I did not truthfully reveal everything I knew about the actions of my immediate supervisor and the true reason for the sales.” He reportedly received money or other valuables for hiding his knowledge from investigators.

Yup, but it is very difficult to successfully "not lie" even if you have nothing to hide and are not intentionally lieing. "Where were you on July 30?" "Oh, I think I was in the office that day" then it turns out you worked from home that day but didn't remember because it is not important to you. You lied! Off to jail for you!

That's not how perjury works. You have to lie about a material fact, not some random thing like was it raining that day or whether you worked from home or not. If you were accused of being in the office that day killing your boss and they have you on video but you said you were working from home, that'd be perjury because its a material fact. Not that they'd really bother with a perjury charge at that point but you get the gist.

There is a lot of shady sh*t here and a lot of info the OP is not telling us.

1. Why buy a replica mini 14?
2. Why did the replica have a real receiver. It is a damn replica. Or was it supposed to be a demilled gun?
3. If it's a replica, why ship to an FFL?
4. The receiver has no serial numbers, and it also doesnt have the name of the company that manufactured the replica? Like pretty much every replica gun I have ever seen.

Sounds like the OP couldnt have the gun, so he was trying to get around laws by shipping a "replica" that was only missing one or two parts, so it wasnt really a replica.

The part about shipping a replica to an FFL still makes 0 sense.

OP - if you are not in jail:

Step 1: ask to delete this thread.
Step 2: consult a lawyer and keep his business card with you at all times.

That's not how perjury works. You have to lie about a material fact, not some random thing like was it raining that day or whether you worked from home or not. If you were accused of being in the office that day killing your boss and they have you on video but you said you were working from home, that'd be perjury because its a material fact. Not that they'd really bother with a perjury charge at that point but you get the gist.

That may be the case, but the law about lying to the FBI (not sure about other 3 letter agencies like ATF) specifically says it's a crime to make any "false statement". That does suggest innocuous statements could make you guilty of breaking this law. You may chance it if you wish, but I will not. If any 3 letter men show up at my front door, I will answer nothing, and only ask for their ID and an explanation of what this is about so I know what to tell my lawyer.

I'm not a lawyer mind you (but you all probably already know that [smile])
but this advice to live by...

Admit nothing... deny everything... make counter accusations.
You forgot "demand proof" and "attack the credibility of the witness"

Those of you who've been around long enough to remember the 286 floating point error will recognize that these 5 steps are pretty much exactly how Intel reacted.

It used to be funny when somebody posts:

"OP's going to jail."

However, it is not funny in this case.

If I were the OP, I plunk down $$$ to have a chat with Jason A. Guida.

Nip this in the bud before it gets worse of before you get entrapped by the ATF.

Also, the ATF reads NES.

I once had a seller of a pelletgun state "only ship to FFL" the receiving FFL took it in . So am I wrong thinking this mini 14 missed the last NFA amnesty? Then bubba plugged the barrel thinking that would keep him out of trouble.?

This looks like an obliterated serial# violation the FFL that handled it is probably screwed as well along with the prior owner.

You are bidding on a REPLICA Ruger Mini 14 (Does NOT Fire)

This is a used REPLICA Ruger Mini 14, This is a FAKE gun, it does NOT FIRE. This was made to be a collectors item, it functions, looks and feels like the real thing. This will require a FFL as that's how it was brought to us.

It does not fire. It functions like the real thing. Requires an FFL because something something.

If you look at the sellers other auctions, they seem shady as hell. Selling all kinds of beat up junk guns that 99% of them look like the type you’d see in some drug bust police photo.

I'm so confused.
Why would the OP as a licensed gun owner be buying a replica Mini 14?

As for how the ATF got involved it's anyone's guess.

Maybe he wanted an A-Team wall hanger?

As for how the ATF got involved, I can only see two possibilities:
  1. This whole thing is an ATF operation
  2. Receiving FFL freaked and called the feds

It does not fire. It functions like the real thing. Requires an FFL because something something.

It does not fire but functions like the real thing. So, which is it? It suggests it actually is a real gun. Something that functions like the real thing would also fire.

Back
Top Bottom