• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF says it is now legal to shoulder arm brace

That's my point. But doesn't matter whether you are acting in good faith. They'll do what they want, regardless of their letter.

Be thankful you live don't live in MA, pretty much everything is like this.....so the choices are:

1.) don't own guns
2.) try to follow the stupid, nonsensical laws as best you can (I.e in good faith)
3.) disregard all the laws and "just go for it"

What if i hold my henry mare's leg (13" barreled pistol) which has a short stock, up to my shoulder, is it now an sbr?

What if i dont fire it but hold it up there for demonstration?

What if i shoulder it while I fire blanks?

I know it refers to arm braces... but are they really going to stop there? Functionally, it's doing the same thing.

Last edited:
What if i hold my henry mare's leg (13" barreled pistol) which has a short stock, up to my shoulder, is it now an sbr?

I know it refers to arm braces... but are they really going to stop there? Functionally, it's doing the same thing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• atf.jpg
    atf.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 409

the GCA and NFA remind of when the catholic church tried to "teach" astronomy. a 5 year old asking the "what ifs" could poke holes in those arguments real fast. collapse.

There are some companies making an AR15 pistol in Mass:
1. Fixed Mag
2. Arm Brace

Since it has a fixed mag it is no longer a rifle.

Still trying to understand the concept.

My question is this:

IF I had a "Pre Healy Pre 7/20/16" AR 15 lower - could I put an adjustable arm brace on it with a 16" length upper?

I am not trying to make a pistol because I don't want a fixed mag.

I just want an adjustable arm brace and I guess the length would be a legal 26" overall...

Maxim CQB Pistol: PDW Brace for AR15 – Maxim Defense

brace-black-5.jpg

There are some companies making an AR15 pistol in Mass:
1. Fixed Mag
2. Arm Brace

Since it has a fixed mag it is no longer a rifle.

Still trying to understand the concept.

My question is this:

IF I had a "Pre Healy Pre 7/20/16" AR 15 lower - could I put an adjustable arm brace on it with a 16" length upper?

I am not trying to make a pistol because I don't want a fixed mag.

I just want an adjustable arm brace and I guess the length would be a legal 26" overall...

Maxim CQB Pistol: PDW Brace for AR15 – Maxim Defense

View attachment 249083

OAL doesn't matter except for vertical fore grips, as stupid as that is. Unfortunately, that brace & buffer would make it a pistol. Also, if the lower was previously built out as a rifle, you cannot now make it a pistol under federal law. If you make an AR pistol in MA, it is subject to the pistol restrictions: the weight restriction and such.

So IANAL, but my answer here is no, you can't do what you describe. The beauty of the fixed mag situation is that it doesn't matter if the lower is pre-Healy or not.

OAL doesn't matter except for vertical fore grips, as stupid as that is. Unfortunately, that brace & buffer would make it a pistol. Also, if the lower was previously built out as a rifle, you cannot now make it a pistol under federal law. If you make an AR pistol in MA, it is subject to the pistol restrictions: the weight restriction and such.

So IANAL, but my answer here is no, you can't do what you describe. The beauty of the fixed mag situation is that it doesn't matter if the lower is pre-Healy or not.
Ok, so it's the brace that makes it a pistol - not the length.

Are you saying that even if I have a pre Healy lower - I need a fixed mag?

Regarding a brace and fixed mag - check this out...

Ok, so it's the brace that makes it a pistol - not the length.

Are you saying that even if I have a pre Healy lower - I need a fixed mag?

Regarding a brace and fixed mag - check this out...

It's actually the inability to attach, or lack of, a stock. So the buffer tube is the key.

And unless you can magically make a super ultra lightweight pistol that can come in under the Assault Pistol weight limit (something like 50oz, but I'm going from memory and it might be slightly higher), then yeah, you'll need a fixed mag. That just removes all the AWB bullshit from consideration. Pre-Healy makes no difference here since this stuff falls under the AWB, not the Healy Decrees.

If you have a pre-Healy lower, you could look into SBRing it with a PDW-type stock instead of brace. I'm not super familiar with it, but there seems to be some grey areas around adjustable stocks there.

I actually have a fixed-mag AR pistol. It's a ton of fun at the range.

Back
Top Bottom