• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF Rule 41P: Final Rule Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still digesting the rule, but Silencer News has a good summary of the changes below. For the full text see http://silencernews.com/atf-41p-reading-the-final-rule/#more-753

It's important to note that these changes won't take effect until July. The biggest (and best) news is that the CLEO signature requirement is going to be eliminated for all applicants.

"(1) For trust and other non-individual applicants seeking to make or transfer NFA items, all “responsible persons” are going to have to submit fingerprint cards and photographs and undergo a background check with future applications. Each responsible person must also complete the new ATF Form 5320.23 providing various personal identifying information. There is however an exception for those that have completed a previous application to make or transfer a firearm and had it approved in the previous twenty-four months. They will instead be able to certify that their information has not changed since the previous application’s approval and avoid resubmitting their trust agreement (or other proof of existence), photographs, fingerprints, and Form 5320.23. (See. pp. 246-247).
(2) CLEO certifications are officially a thing of the past once this rule becomes effective. They are replaced by a requirement that the applicant notify “an appropriate state or local official” when applying to make or transfer an NFA item. Appropriate local officials as defined in the rule would include the “local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor of the locality in which the applicant, transferee, or responsible person is located.” (See p. 5).
(3) There is more specific guidance for temporary estate matters involving NFA firearms, clarifying that temporary possession of NFA items by a personal representative or similar person during the settling of an estate will not be treated as a transfer. (See pp. 247-248).
(4) Surprisingly, the future addition of new trustees/responsible persons to a trust after a transaction will not trigger any additional paperwork or reporting requirement. (See pp. 123-124)."

Trading a background check for dropping Cleo sign off would be a win. Plenty of places have zero Cleo signers and this still allows purchase in these areas.

Not getting into the whole background check argument.

So what are the benefits of a trust now that this is changing? Just set mine up but havent transferred anything into it yet and now I am thinking about not doing it.

So what are the benefits of a trust now that this is changing? Just set mine up but havent transferred anything into it yet and now I am thinking about not doing it.

Multiple trustees, so for example your wife, as a trustee, could touch the trust's suppressor without being in violation of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom